Posted to alt.home.repair
philo philo is offline

Default Weird Fluorescent

On 05/04/2015 07:40 AM, Art Todesco wrote:
A friend had a fluorescent light do something strange. Here's his email:

Had to take the kitchen fluorescent light apart as one pair of the lamps
started flickering and then went out. Had a hell of a time getting them
out, as the socket was corroded and the lamps did NOT want to come out.
Put the new ones in and found the one lamp would light about 8 inches
in from each end and the rest was just a shadow. Never saw a symptom
like that before. I figured that it was the ballast, as another new
lamp did the same thing. When I got it apart, I discovered the wires
just push in to the socket and seemed loose, but there was no release .
The harder I pulled, the looser they got, but would not come out. Then
I put the sockets on the lamps with the whole mess hanging by the
wires. Everything worked fine, so I twisted the wires together to put
some strain on the socket connection and put it back together. It is
working OK now. The ends of the lamps get VERY hot. I dont remember
that happening on the older fixtures, do you?

Strange .... any ideas?

The sockets of course need to be replaced, just cut the wires to remove.