Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dollar paint brush

I hate cleaning paint brushes, especially when I use an oil based
paint. I also dislike cheap brushes as they don't do a very good job.
I had to stain and put a couple of coats of polyurethane on my new
patio door. I used a disposable foam brush for the stain and planned
to for the poly. I was in WalMart and saw the brush rack with 1"
bushes for a dollar. With low expectations, I figured I give it a
try. Damn, it worked very well for the job at hand. Having spent
thousands of dollars on the door, tossing a 1" brush when done is not
so bad.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 03 May 2015 11:12:04 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I hate cleaning paint brushes, especially when I use an oil based
paint. I also dislike cheap brushes as they don't do a very good job.
I had to stain and put a couple of coats of polyurethane on my new
patio door. I used a disposable foam brush for the stain and planned
to for the poly. I was in WalMart and saw the brush rack with 1"
bushes for a dollar. With low expectations, I figured I give it a
try. Damn, it worked very well for the job at hand. Having spent
thousands of dollars on the door, tossing a 1" brush when done is not
so bad.

but, But, BUT...the children cannot inherit that dollar

I fixed my PC desk, needing just the top done. When ready for finish I
used the foam brushes - polyurethane, fine sand between dry coats -
anyway, the top matches the rest perfectly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/3/2015 11:12 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I hate cleaning paint brushes, especially when I use an oil based
paint. I also dislike cheap brushes as they don't do a very good job.
I had to stain and put a couple of coats of polyurethane on my new
patio door. I used a disposable foam brush for the stain and planned
to for the poly. I was in WalMart and saw the brush rack with 1"
bushes for a dollar. With low expectations, I figured I give it a
try. Damn, it worked very well for the job at hand. Having spent
thousands of dollars on the door, tossing a 1" brush when done is not
so bad.

I actually found that the cheap brushed from Big Lots worked pretty
well. They are camo'd to look like the expensive ones from Purdy and
others.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 05/03/2015 10:12 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I hate cleaning paint brushes, especially when I use an oil based
paint. I also dislike cheap brushes as they don't do a very good job.
I had to stain and put a couple of coats of polyurethane on my new
patio door. I used a disposable foam brush for the stain and planned
to for the poly. I was in WalMart and saw the brush rack with 1"
bushes for a dollar. With low expectations, I figured I give it a
try. Damn, it worked very well for the job at hand. Having spent
thousands of dollars on the door, tossing a 1" brush when done is not
so bad.

If a particular one happens to work reasonably well, you're lucky
ime...normally they'll be terrible at shedding bristles leaving them in
the finish to have to dig out and then try to reflood an area -- which
inevitably leaves even more...

They're not worth the risk for anything other than a throwaway job
that's worth no more than the brush imo; the hassle of something like
the above is not worth the few bucks or little bit of time it takes to
clean.

I'm using brushes of my grandfather's still that I remember some of
which specifically as a kid. They'd be a minimum of 60 yr old by now as
he passed in '57. A couple of the real badger and ox hair are almost
priceless to try to replace any more.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 04 May 2015 13:25:00 -0500, dpb wrote:

[...]

I picked up an assortment of brushes on sale at Canadian Tire a few
months ago. 10 piece set, 2 each of 1/2, 1, 1 1/2,, 2, and 2 1/2"
Flagged bristles and tipped ends - for $7.77 Canadian. They make as
good a job as any $30 brush with solvent based poly, water based poly,
and latex paint that I have used them on so far, and if I have to
throw one out it doesn't hurt too much.. I'd almost be afraid to use a
genuine badger brush for fear I would ruin it and have to throw it
out!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 05/04/2015 3:42 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 04 May 2015 13:25:00 -0500, wrote:

[...]

That's good if they flow and don't shed....it's the latter that has
almost inevitably got me on the cheapies to the point I no longer bother
to try. Maybe there's a better batch being generally available now...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 04 May 2015 16:03:41 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 05/04/2015 3:42 PM, wrote:
[...]

the one brush I used for all 3 projects has yet to loose a single
bristle. I've been very impressed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/4/2015 2:25 PM, dpb wrote:

If a particular one happens to work reasonably well, you're lucky
ime...normally they'll be terrible at shedding bristles leaving them in
the finish to have to dig out and then try to reflood an area -- which
inevitably leaves even more...

I was afraid of exactly that and was surprised that it worked so well.
Not a single bristle lost.

I'm using brushes of my grandfather's still that I remember some of
which specifically as a kid. They'd be a minimum of 60 yr old by now as
he passed in '57. A couple of the real badger and ox hair are almost
priceless to try to replace any more.

I don't deserve a brush that good. I'd have ruined it after a couple of
uses.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I hate cleaning paint brushes, especially when I use an oil based
paint.

Pay someone?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 May 2015 02:07:16 +0000 (UTC), Horace LaBadie
wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I hate cleaning paint brushes, especially when I use an oil based
paint.

Pay someone?

A professional painter I know said he never pays more than $7 for a
paintbrush for oil paint - and it costs more to clean than to
replace..