Posted to alt.home.repair

Default recycled concrete for drainage layer around foundation drain?

Hello,

I'm installing a perforated foundation drain pipe around the perimeter of my house (digging down to foundation, etc, all around the house). My local material supplier has washed 3/4" gravel for $45/cuyd. He also has 1" Recycled Concrete for $20/cuyd. Anyone have experience in using RC for a foundation drain layer (covered by filter fabric)? I've read that recycled concrete may not be completed hydrated and some of the residual cement may bind up when it gets wet, but as long as it keeps its overall permeabiltiy, I don't care. I'm sure the gravel is a safer/more traditional approach, but curious if anyone's had any positive/negative experience with the recycled stuff.

Regards,
Theodore
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 28, 2015 at 12:31:45 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Hello,

I'm installing a perforated foundation drain pipe around the perimeter of my house (digging down to foundation, etc, all around the house). My local material supplier has washed 3/4" gravel for $45/cuyd. He also has 1" Recycled Concrete for $20/cuyd. Anyone have experience in using RC for a foundation drain layer (covered by filter fabric)? I've read that recycled concrete may not be completed hydrated and some of the residual cement may bind up when it gets wet, but as long as it keeps its overall permeabiltiy, I don't care. I'm sure the gravel is a safer/more traditional approach, but curious if anyone's had any positive/negative experience with the recycled stuff.

Regards,
Theodore

I've never used it, but I have been around plenty of concrete
and have never seen old, cured concrete stick to itself or
anything else. But even if it did, I don't see that it matters.
You have irregular pieces touching each other with lots of
gaps in between. The gaps is where the water flows. Even
if where they touch, it somehow did bind together, you'd
still have all the open air spaces where the water will flow.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 Apr 2015 21:31:42 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I'm installing a perforated foundation drain pipe around the perimeter of my house (digging down to foundation, etc, all around the house).

How deep?! You can buy a perforated drain pipe cloth sleeve ... like a
sock over the pipe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I stood looking at my driveway extension just moments ago.

I dont recommend it for use as drainage fill unless you can buy it sized failrly large with all the fines removed...

after it was dumped in my drieway extension it solified into a rock hard surface that rain would run off

Understood. And yes, I agree that if the fines are not removed, it may bind up. But I'm thinking (hoping?) that if it's NO SMALLER THAN l"-2" pieces, and I cover it all with filter fabric, then I should be fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 28, 2015 at 9:44:39 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I stood looking at my driveway extension just moments ago.

I dont recommend it for use as drainage fill unless you can buy it sized failrly large with all the fines removed...

after it was dumped in my drieway extension it solified into a rock hard surface that rain would run off

Understood. And yes, I agree that if the fines are not removed, it may bind up. But I'm thinking (hoping?) that if it's NO SMALLER THAN l"-2" pieces, and I cover it all with filter fabric, then I should be fine.

Why don't you go give the guys a couple bucks and get a
sample bucket of material, then test it. I would think that
whatever is going to happen would happen once it's wetted
down and allowed to cure again. If cure is even the right
word for whatever apparently can cause it to bind up again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 28, 2015 at 9:44:39 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I stood looking at my driveway extension just moments ago.

I dont recommend it for use as drainage fill unless you can buy it sized failrly large with all the fines removed...

after it was dumped in my drieway extension it solified into a rock hard surface that rain would run off

Understood. And yes, I agree that if the fines are not removed, it may bind up. But I'm thinking (hoping?) that if it's NO SMALLER THAN l"-2" pieces, and I cover it all with filter fabric, then I should be fine.

is the money saved really worth the risk? i have gotten 2 loads one at a friends from the same source. one load had many more fines than the other.

i helped him spread the material