Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is there a way to remove a thin layer of concrete?

I hired a concrete contractor to lay some concrete blocks and frame a window
opening. In the process of mixing/pouring/forming the concrete, he spilled
quite a bit of concrete onto my deck which is red brick with black grout.
Now I have a thin layer of concrete on top of my deck about 40 square foot
or so. I mentioned it to him and he said I am responsible to prep the area
and I should know it's going to be messy.

I tried to scape it off and it's not coming off. I don't know if there is a
tool to chip them out or am I stucked with replacing my entire deck if I
can't find 40SF of matching bricks.

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"MiamiCuse" wrote:

I hired a concrete contractor to lay some concrete blocks and frame a window
opening. In the process of mixing/pouring/forming the concrete, he spilled
quite a bit of concrete onto my deck which is red brick with black grout.
Now I have a thin layer of concrete on top of my deck about 40 square foot
or so. I mentioned it to him and he said I am responsible to prep the area
and I should know it's going to be messy.

I tried to scape it off and it's not coming off. I don't know if there is a
tool to chip them out or am I stucked with replacing my entire deck if I
can't find 40SF of matching bricks.

MC

Stories like this make me sick. Are there no craftsmen left at all?
You're supposed to prepare the area for the slob? That guy needs to be
fitted for some concrete shoes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
I hired a concrete contractor to lay some concrete blocks and frame a
window opening. In the process of mixing/pouring/forming the concrete, he
spilled quite a bit of concrete onto my deck which is red brick with black
grout. Now I have a thin layer of concrete on top of my deck about 40
square foot or so. I mentioned it to him and he said I am responsible to
prep the area and I should know it's going to be messy.

I tried to scape it off and it's not coming off. I don't know if there is
a tool to chip them out or am I stucked with replacing my entire deck if I
can't find 40SF of matching bricks.

Hopefully you will find a good solution (though I rather doubt it).
But if push comes to shove, I don't think a Judge will hold you responsible
for his mess. If he didn't think you prepped properly he should have either
refused to do it or put you on notice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "MiamiCuse" wrote:
I hired a concrete contractor to lay some concrete blocks and frame a window
opening. In the process of mixing/pouring/forming the concrete, he spilled
quite a bit of concrete onto my deck which is red brick with black grout.
Now I have a thin layer of concrete on top of my deck about 40 square foot
or so. I mentioned it to him and he said I am responsible to prep the area
and I should know it's going to be messy.

I tried to scape it off and it's not coming off. I don't know if there is a
tool to chip them out or am I stucked with replacing my entire deck if I
can't find 40SF of matching bricks.

The standard way to remove the top layer of concrete from
concrete is via shot blasting. This might work for you.

Obviously it depends on the relative hardness and shot
resistance of the spilled concrete and the underlying
brick. Since the concrete is presumably quite young,
I think the brick wins. Clearly, you need to test a
small area first. You may be able to rent the equipment
and try it yourself. Or hire a professional (and hope
he's a lot better than the last one).

Oh, the shot blaster may blast away a whole ton of
grout, esp. if it's soft. But regrouting would be a
small task compared to a brand new deck.

FYI: your concrete contractor is a serious a**hole and
if I were you, I'd consider filing a complaint with
the applicable licensing board and in small claims
court too.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair

You mentioned black grout? if you can't make any headway with the
contractor, the court, or the shot blast...
Can you get the brick up, turn them over, then regrout the area?

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
I hired a concrete contractor to lay some concrete blocks and frame a
window opening. In the process of mixing/pouring/forming the concrete, he
spilled quite a bit of concrete onto my deck which is red brick with black
grout. Now I have a thin layer of concrete on top of my deck about 40
square foot or so. I mentioned it to him and he said I am responsible to
prep the area and I should know it's going to be messy.

I tried to scape it off and it's not coming off. I don't know if there is
a tool to chip them out or am I stucked with replacing my entire deck if I
can't find 40SF of matching bricks.

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

MiamiCuse wrote:

I hired a concrete contractor to lay some concrete blocks and frame a window
opening. In the process of mixing/pouring/forming the concrete, he spilled
quite a bit of concrete onto my deck which is red brick with black grout.
Now I have a thin layer of concrete on top of my deck about 40 square foot
or so. I mentioned it to him and he said I am responsible to prep the area
and I should know it's going to be messy.

I tried to scape it off and it's not coming off. I don't know if there is a
tool to chip them out or am I stucked with replacing my entire deck if I
can't find 40SF of matching bricks.

MC

When my mom added a room onto her house, the concrete work for the slab
was done badly, resulting in noticeable dip and hill on the floor. The
same jerk who did that work came back and used some sort of grinder to
level the floor. It helped. With vinyl flooring, you couldn't see the
unevenness but could feel it walking across the room. Don't know what
it entails, or if possible for use on brick, but something to explore.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 6 Nov 2007 23:54:35 -0500, "MiamiCuse"
wrote:

I hired a concrete contractor to lay some concrete blocks and frame a window
opening. In the process of mixing/pouring/forming the concrete, he spilled
quite a bit of concrete onto my deck which is red brick with black grout.
Now I have a thin layer of concrete on top of my deck about 40 square foot
or so. I mentioned it to him and he said I am responsible to prep the area
and I should know it's going to be messy.

I tried to scape it off and it's not coming off. I don't know if there is a
tool to chip them out or am I stucked with replacing my entire deck if I
can't find 40SF of matching bricks.

MC

Why were YOU supposed to prep the area? Was this in your contract?
If not, sue the SOB. You hired him to do the job, that means you have
to do nothing except sign the contract and pay him when the job is
finished. This is the same as a painter painting your living room
walls and ceiling and not covering your carpet and furniture, and
getting everything covered with paint. Part of painting is to protect
the furnishings and flooring. Anyone can toss paint around in a room.
Thats why you hire a professional painter. I was in business for
years, and worked on many homes. When I did plumbing, I once had my
torch fall over and leeave a brown burn mark on a bathroom floor
(vinyl sheet floor). I paid to have the floor replaced and did not
complain, because I knew I was at fault, even though it was an
accident. Any idiot should know to cover things when doing any work
that is messy. Heck, when I worked with a painter, we even covered
the lawn when we painted house siding, and that would have grown over
in a week.

You need a judge and maybe a lawyer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"bill allemann" wrote in
et:

If you haven't paid him ... don't!

BAD advice;then he puts a lien on your house.
IMO,the owner should take lots of pictures and take him to
court;contractors are liable for any damages they cause during their work.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik