Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - credit card upgrade question

On 4/9/2015 2:26 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Got a note today from one of my card providers.
They will soon be sending me upgrade, a card
with RFID chip.

They say that the chip will provide a unique
transaction ID number for each purcahse, which
will make fraud less likely.

I'm thinking about the various Youtube videos of
guys walking around malls with scanners, and
harvesting CC numbers and personal data.

Should I destroy the FRFID and just use the
magnetic swipe?

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

Do they actually say that it is "RFID" or is it merely a chipped card (chip
and pin)? The latter has been used in the rest of the world for a very long
time rather than our primitive magnetic swipe cards? All of the North
American CC purveyors are supposed to be switching to chipped cards
although they are fighting it and dragging their feet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/11/2015 01:35 PM, BenignBodger wrote:

[snip]

Do they actually say that it is "RFID" or is it merely a chipped card
(chip and pin)? The latter has been used in the rest of the world for a
very long time rather than our primitive magnetic swipe cards? All of
the North American CC purveyors are supposed to be switching to chipped
cards although they are fighting it and dragging their feet.

One of my cards (Sears Mastercard) was replaced with a chipped card last
year. The others haven't.

BTW, more than 10 years ago, my American Express card had RFID. They
took that out around 5 years ago.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Indifference to religion, due to thought, strengthens character," [W.T.
Root, Prof. of Psychology at Univ. of Pittsburg, after examining 1,916
prisoners]
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark Lloyd wrote:

One of my cards (Sears Mastercard) was replaced with a chipped card last
year. The others haven't.

My wife's Amex card was replaced with a chipped one about 6 months ago
and mine wasn't. I called thinking mine was lost in the mail since in
the past we always got our new cards at the same time. They said they
were just trying a limited issue and I would get one eventually.

So far my other cards haven't changed yet.