Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - credit card upgrade question

On 04/09/2015 03:17 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Got a note today from one of my card providers.
They will soon be sending me upgrade, a card
with RFID chip.

They say that the chip will provide a unique
transaction ID number for each purcahse, which
will make fraud less likely.

I'm thinking about the various Youtube videos of
guys walking around malls with scanners, and
harvesting CC numbers and personal data.

Should I destroy the FRFID and just use the
magnetic swipe?

I'd probably make a shield for it in my wallet.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/m...ards/index.htm

I always disable it B4 I start using it.
In the event card is stolen or misplaced
it couild cause problem.

On the contrary according to an item I read just a few days ago:
chip-and-PIN is far more secure, and someone (Wal-Mart big-wig, IIRC)
was lamenting that the USA was far too slow in going to chip and PIN --
anyone can forge a signature (does your signature on a sloping shiny
surface look anything like the real signature on the back of your card?
Has a charge ever been refused because they don't match?). CC fraud is
far lower in counties with chip-and-PIN.

In addition to that, the range of RFID cards is supposed to be a matter
of inches. I know that the RFID card I had until a while ago had to be
touched to the scanner, and the RFID room key for the hotel where I am
currently staying has to be touched to the lock. Waving in the general
vicinity did not/does not work.

IAC, "chip" does not necessarily mean RFID. One of our new cards has a
chip -- with visible contacts -- but is not, AFAIK, RFID. OTOH, the RFID
card I mentioned previously did not have visible contacts.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

In addition to that, the range of RFID cards is supposed to be a matter
of inches. I know that the RFID card I had until a while ago had to be
touched to the scanner, and the RFID room key for the hotel where I am
currently staying has to be touched to the lock. Waving in the general
vicinity did not/does not work.

IAC, "chip" does not necessarily mean RFID. One of our new cards has a
chip -- with visible contacts -- but is not, AFAIK, RFID. OTOH, the RFID
card I mentioned previously did not have visible contacts.

Perce

I'd be more okay with a card that had contacts.
Much like pushing in a flash drive into USB port?

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

IAC, "chip" does not necessarily mean RFID. One of our new cards has a
chip -- with visible contacts -- but is not, AFAIK, RFID. OTOH, the RFID
card I mentioned previously did not have visible contacts.

Cards with RFID are noticeably thicker, and they don't have the visible
contacts.