Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Salvage shower head?

My shower head is pretty much stopped up. Likely my hard well water. With
the head off I seem to get ample water flow. Can I salvage it or is it not
worth the trouble? Maybe some Lime Away or HCL based toilet bowl cleaner?
Or maybe they are too cheap to mess with? After I post this I'll have to
Google Walmart and see what they cost.

Suggestions?

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/4/2015 9:42 AM, KenK wrote:
My shower head is pretty much stopped up. Likely my hard well water. With
the head off I seem to get ample water flow. Can I salvage it or is it not
worth the trouble? Maybe some Lime Away or HCL based toilet bowl cleaner?
Or maybe they are too cheap to mess with? After I post this I'll have to
Google Walmart and see what they cost.

Suggestions?

TIA

Soak in white vinegar for a couple hours.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, April 4, 2015 at 9:47:13 AM UTC-4, FrozenNorth wrote:
On 4/4/2015 9:42 AM, KenK wrote:
My shower head is pretty much stopped up. Likely my hard well water. With
the head off I seem to get ample water flow. Can I salvage it or is it not
worth the trouble? Maybe some Lime Away or HCL based toilet bowl cleaner?
Or maybe they are too cheap to mess with? After I post this I'll have to
Google Walmart and see what they cost.

Suggestions?

TIA

Soak in white vinegar for a couple hours.

if its a spray wand with hose the hose is bad.they look fine on the outside, but the inner hose obstructs and decreases flow slowly over time
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller wrote in
:

On 4/4/2015 9:42 AM, KenK wrote:
My shower head is pretty much stopped up. Likely my hard well
water. With the head off I seem to get ample water flow. Can I
salvage it or is it not worth the trouble? Maybe some Lime Away or
HCL based toilet bowl cleaner? Or maybe they are too cheap to mess
with? After I post this I'll have to Google Walmart and see what
they cost.

Suggestions?

TIA

Soak in white vinegar for a couple hours.

if its a spray wand with hose the hose is bad.they look fine on the
outside, but the inner hose obstructs and decreases flow slowly over
time

No, it's just a rigid head on a rigid water line. I prefer that type.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4 Apr 2015 14:27:29 GMT, KenK wrote:

bob haller wrote in
:

On 4/4/2015 9:42 AM, KenK wrote:
My shower head is pretty much stopped up. Likely my hard well
water. With the head off I seem to get ample water flow. Can I
salvage it or is it not worth the trouble? Maybe some Lime Away or
HCL based toilet bowl cleaner? Or maybe they are too cheap to mess
with? After I post this I'll have to Google Walmart and see what
they cost.

Suggestions?

TIA

Soak in white vinegar for a couple hours.

if its a spray wand with hose the hose is bad.they look fine on the
outside, but the inner hose obstructs and decreases flow slowly over
time

No, it's just a rigid head on a rigid water line. I prefer that type.

If it is an older head, I would clean it and put it back on. These 2 gpm
new heads are terrible!
--
Mr.E

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/4/2015 9:42 AM, KenK wrote:
My shower head is pretty much stopped up. Likely my hard well
water. With the head off I seem to get ample water flow. Can I
salvage it or is it not worth the trouble? Maybe some Lime Away or
HCL based toilet bowl cleaner? Or maybe they are too cheap to mess
with? After I post this I'll have to Google Walmart and see what
they cost.

Suggestions?

TIA

Soak in white vinegar for a couple hours.

if its a spray wand with hose the hose is bad.they look fine on the
outside, but the inner hose obstructs and decreases flow slowly over
time

No, it's just a rigid head on a rigid water line. I prefer that type.

If it is an older head, I would clean it and put it back on. These 2
gpm new heads are terrible!

And it's VERY easy to drill them out to get a decent spray .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

"KenK" wrote in message
My shower head is pretty much stopped up. Likely my hard well water. With
the head off I seem to get ample water flow. Can I salvage it or is it not
worth the trouble? Maybe some Lime Away or HCL based toilet bowl cleaner?
Or maybe they are too cheap to mess with? After I post this I'll have to
Google Walmart and see what they cost.

As others said, vinegar.

As to cost, it depends...you could spend $10 or you could spend $100s. IMO,
about the nicest around is the Speakman Anystream.
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page...owe r%20Heads

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4 Apr 2015 13:42:07 GMT, KenK wrote:

My shower head is pretty much stopped up. Likely my hard well water. With
the head off I seem to get ample water flow. Can I salvage it or is it not
worth the trouble? Maybe some Lime Away or HCL based toilet bowl cleaner?
Or maybe they are too cheap to mess with? After I post this I'll have to
Google Walmart and see what they cost.

Suggestions?

TIA

CLR, or even vinegar. DON'T use HCL.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/4/2015 9:47 AM, FrozenNorth wrote:
On 4/4/2015 9:42 AM, KenK wrote:
My shower head is pretty much stopped up. Likely my hard well water. With
the head off I seem to get ample water flow. Can I salvage it or is it
not
worth the trouble? Maybe some Lime Away or HCL based toilet bowl cleaner?
Or maybe they are too cheap to mess with? After I post this I'll have to
Google Walmart and see what they cost.

Suggestions?

TIA

Soak in white vinegar for a couple hours.

I've heard of people using a bag of vinegar. Tie
it on like an old nose bag for horse. Not sure
if this works, but might.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , says...

"KenK" wrote in message
My shower head is pretty much stopped up. Likely my hard well water. With
the head off I seem to get ample water flow. Can I salvage it or is it not
worth the trouble? Maybe some Lime Away or HCL based toilet bowl cleaner?
Or maybe they are too cheap to mess with? After I post this I'll have to
Google Walmart and see what they cost.

As others said, vinegar.

As to cost, it depends...you could spend $10 or you could spend $100s. IMO,
about the nicest around is the Speakman Anystream.
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page...owe r%20Heads

I've had several Speakman showerheads and they're great. Just recently
got one of their 2.5gpm Reaction models (they also make a 2.0gpm model),
and it's plenty powerful:

http://www.speakmancompany.com/products/detail/S-4001

If you're not picky about the model, you can get some nice deals from
them periodically on heavily-discounted units. They send out email
announcements when a sale is on - not sure how to sign up for those as I
think I opted in during checkout for a previous purchase.
Posted to alt.home.repair

CLR will do the job fine though you should check in any event that someone hasnt put a stupid flow limiter in there which has become clogged over time.

If it is a flow limiter, just yank it out. You will fins showers go about three times as quick with no water limiter in there!

If you have this hard water, you will of course need to repeat relatively often.
Posted to alt.home.repair

FrozenNorth wrote in
:

On 4/4/2015 9:42 AM, KenK wrote:
My shower head is pretty much stopped up. Likely my hard well water.
With the head off I seem to get ample water flow. Can I salvage it or
is it not worth the trouble? Maybe some Lime Away or HCL based toilet
bowl cleaner? Or maybe they are too cheap to mess with? After I post
this I'll have to Google Walmart and see what they cost.

Suggestions?

TIA

Soak in white vinegar for a couple hours.

Took a little longer than that but worked perfectly! Thanks much!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote in
:

On 4/4/2015 9:42 AM, KenK wrote:
My shower head is pretty much stopped up. Likely my hard well water.
With the head off I seem to get ample water flow. Can I salvage it
or is it not
worth the trouble? Maybe some Lime Away or HCL based toilet bowl
cleaner? Or maybe they are too cheap to mess with? After I post this
I'll have to Google Walmart and see what they cost.

Suggestions?

TIA

Soak in white vinegar for a couple hours.

I've heard of people using a bag of vinegar. Tie
it on like an old nose bag for horse. Not sure
if this works, but might.

I used an empty bottle to hold the vinegar. Worked fine!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6 Apr 2015 17:39:16 GMT, KenK wrote:

FrozenNorth wrote in
:

On 4/4/2015 9:42 AM, KenK wrote:
My shower head is pretty much stopped up. Likely my hard well water.
With the head off I seem to get ample water flow. Can I salvage it or
is it not worth the trouble? Maybe some Lime Away or HCL based toilet
bowl cleaner? Or maybe they are too cheap to mess with? After I post
this I'll have to Google Walmart and see what they cost.

Suggestions?

TIA

Soak in white vinegar for a couple hours.

Took a little longer than that but worked perfectly! Thanks much!

Didja get the swamp cooler pan cleaned of minerals?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in news:8av5ialmse355c2gov1es0qbsuaoc832h2@
4ax.com:

On 4/4/2015 9:42 AM, KenK wrote:
My shower head is pretty much stopped up. Likely my hard well water.
With the head off I seem to get ample water flow. Can I salvage it

or
is it not worth the trouble? Maybe some Lime Away or HCL based

toilet
bowl cleaner? Or maybe they are too cheap to mess with? After I post
this I'll have to Google Walmart and see what they cost.

Suggestions?

TIA

Soak in white vinegar for a couple hours.

Took a little longer than that but worked perfectly! Thanks much!

Didja get the swamp cooler pan cleaned of minerals?

Yes. Ended up scraping like hell! Pan survived. I may. g

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/7/2015 1:25 PM, KenK wrote:
Oren wrote in news:8av5ialmse355c2gov1es0qbsuaoc832h2@
Soak in white vinegar for a couple hours.

Took a little longer than that but worked perfectly! Thanks much!

Didja get the swamp cooler pan cleaned of minerals?

Yes. Ended up scraping like hell! Pan survived. I may. g

I wonder if a power washer would dislodge the
calcium scale?

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..

Looking for a shower head arm Nil[_2_] Home Repair 7 March 20th 10 05:21 PM
Jado multi purpose shower head problem- could apply to allmultipurpose shower heads KOS Home Repair 2 December 25th 09 10:15 PM
Shower pump for can type shower head. steve UK diy 3 January 16th 04 11:38 AM
Shower head PoP UK diy 9 December 22nd 03 10:42 AM
Where to put 2nd shower head... OJ Home Ownership 5 August 22nd 03 09:38 PM