Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Oil level sight glass HF compressor

Bought a cheapie for the shop while in Wichita last weekend...turns out
the sight glass leaks (around the cover seal, not the threaded portion).

Parts show it numbered but don't give dimensions...being the trip
to/from Wichita to return it would cost more than the total cost, and
not sure if the contact will follow thru that they'll supply a
replacement gratis, look and can find gazillion replacements pretty
cheap but I'm not positive on the thread size.

It appears that a 3/4" NPT plug will stop the leak but it threads quite
deeply so got to wondering -- many are listed as a 27 mm but no pitch
given so is there a rough equivalent between a metric and NPT that could
possibly be interchanging?

For $3 and change/ea and free shipping _could_ just order a sample but
thought might see if anybody here has info...

Push come to shove, can simply use a 3/4x1/8" reducer and a plug and
check it the old fashioned way, of course...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/9/2015 4:41 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

I'm not totally familiar with the design.

If the area behind the plug is pressurized, maybe
you can take the plug out, and put it with the glass
horizontal. Clean the lens area with cotton swab and
some Ronsonol lighter fluid.

A bit of two part epoxy can be put on (with a tooth
pick) where the glass meets the metal. All around the
edge of the glass, pushed into the crack. I've done
that with Harbor Freight cheapie free flash lights.
The lens and LED used to come out of the blue ones.

If the area (crank case?) is not much pressurized,
try clear Seal All. Comes in bright yellow tube, I
found it at Advance Auto Parts and Battery, along
with the RTV and adhesives. Also used to be sold on
Ebay.

From what I read, I'm guessing oil is seeping out.
You (might) have a bad crankcase breather exhaust
valve. The crankcase on small engines "should" run
slightly below atmospheric pressure.

Hope that's any help at all.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 02/09/2015 6:03 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I'm not totally familiar with the design.

Reading on, clearly...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/291321192490?lpid=82&chn=ps

From what I read, I'm guessing oil is seeping out.
You (might) have a bad crankcase breather exhaust
valve. The crankcase on small engines "should" run
slightly below atmospheric pressure.

Hope that's any help at all.

Well, since I stated it's leaking, yes oil _is_ "seeping out".

It's leaking just sitting there.

The question posed was whether anybody had/knew what thread pitch is for
these metric measurements and whether by any chance't new an actual
thread they're using on these little (basically throwaway) compressors;
the whole thing even w/o a special coupon was only $119.

There was another listed as 1.0" thread but the description said is
actually 3/4" NPT so I ordered one and we'll see...