Posted to alt.home.repair

Default garage door problem

the issue with the electronic garage door is the way it closes.

Opening the garage is not problem. press the button without holding it
down, it opens. However, I press the button without holding it down to
close the garage door. it won't close. I've had to hold the button
down so it would close. If I release the button when the door is
half-way closed, it reverses course & stays open.

ideas?

--
Dilbert Firestorm

remove *byteme* to email me
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/8/2015 2:21 AM, dilbert firestorm wrote:
the issue with the electronic garage door is the way it closes.

Opening the garage is not problem. press the button without holding it
down, it opens. However, I press the button without holding it down to
close the garage door. it won't close. I've had to hold the button
down so it would close. If I release the button when the door is
half-way closed, it reverses course & stays open.

ideas?

Something in the way of the safety sensors or misaligned safety sensors?

Limit switches offset?

What type/brand of garage door?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, February 8, 2015 at 7:03:03 AM UTC-5, SBH wrote:
On 2/8/2015 2:21 AM, dilbert firestorm wrote:
the issue with the electronic garage door is the way it closes.

Opening the garage is not problem. press the button without holding it
down, it opens. However, I press the button without holding it down to
close the garage door. it won't close. I've had to hold the button
down so it would close. If I release the button when the door is
half-way closed, it reverses course & stays open.

ideas?

Something in the way of the safety sensors or misaligned safety sensors?

Limit switches offset?

What type/brand of garage door?

disconnect door opener, at release.

operate the door by hand. may be a cable off a pulley, lack of lubrication, etc etc.

door should move easily by hand in both directions
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/8/2015 2:21 AM, dilbert firestorm wrote:
the issue with the electronic garage door is the way it closes.

Opening the garage is not problem. press the button without holding it
down, it opens. However, I press the button without holding it down to
close the garage door. it won't close. I've had to hold the button
down so it would close. If I release the button when the door is
half-way closed, it reverses course & stays open.

ideas?

Hope you have the owners manual. I worked on a door
with similar problem. The problem turned out to be
that the plug that connects the little white wire
to the safety sensor was dirty. Remove and replace,
spray with WD-40.

Another cause of similar behavior is dirty lens on
safety sensor, or sensor pointed in wrong direction.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, February 8, 2015 at 7:03:03 AM UTC-5, SBH wrote:
On 2/8/2015 2:21 AM, dilbert firestorm wrote:
the issue with the electronic garage door is the way it closes.

Opening the garage is not problem. press the button without holding it
down, it opens. However, I press the button without holding it down to
close the garage door. it won't close. I've had to hold the button
down so it would close. If I release the button when the door is
half-way closed, it reverses course & stays open.

ideas?

Something in the way of the safety sensors or misaligned safety sensors?

That's where I'd start.

Limit switches offset?

Yes, that too. They have down force, limit of travel adjustments.

What type/brand of garage door?

More importantly what door opener and has he read the manual.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 08 Feb 2015 01:21:06 -0600, dilbert firestorm
wrote:

the issue with the electronic garage door is the way it closes.

Opening the garage is not problem. press the button without holding it
down, it opens. However, I press the button without holding it down to
close the garage door. it won't close. I've had to hold the button
down so it would close. If I release the button when the door is
half-way closed, it reverses course & stays open.

ideas?

If something is blocking the safety sensors, the door will open
normally, but will not close. It will reverse and go back up. The
model I have lets you override the sensor problem by holding the
button. This sounds like an exact match to your symptoms. The
problem can be something blocking the sensors, bad sensors, bad wiring
to the sensors, or a bad control board in the opener. Start with the
obvious stuff first. It is not uncommon for the wiring screws on the
sensors to become loose or for the tiny wires to break. Also, someone
may have bumps one of the sensors such that they no longer aim at each
other. (The sensors are usually mounted on either side of the door
near the bottom. It is easy to hit them with brooms or shovels that
are commonly found in garages and store in corners near the door.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

This^. Had exactly this problem with the door at my daughter's condo.
Sensor mounting brackets were loose and there was crap and bits of
leaves around the eyes. Cleaned up the eyes, remounted the brackets
securely, and reaimed them as best I could. One of those things did
the trick and solved the problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

dilbert firestorm wrote:
the issue with the electronic garage door is the way it closes.

Opening the garage is not problem. press the button without holding it
down, it opens. However, I press the button without holding it down to
close the garage door. it won't close. I've had to hold the button
down so it would close. If I release the button when the door is
half-way closed, it reverses course & stays open.

ideas?

Hi,
You mentioned electronic, read the manual and set it up again regarding
close and open limit. Maybe opener has indicator LEDs
reporting trouble code.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 08 Feb 2015 08:00:14 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 2/8/2015 2:21 AM, dilbert firestorm wrote:
the issue with the electronic garage door is the way it closes.

Opening the garage is not problem. press the button without holding it
down, it opens. However, I press the button without holding it down to
close the garage door. it won't close. I've had to hold the button
down so it would close. If I release the button when the door is
half-way closed, it reverses course & stays open.

ideas?

Hope you have the owners manual. I worked on a door
with similar problem. The problem turned out to be
that the plug that connects the little white wire
to the safety sensor was dirty. Remove and replace,
spray with WD-40.

Another cause of similar behavior is dirty lens on
safety sensor, or sensor pointed in wrong direction.

-

Or current sensor set too low and door binding
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 08 Feb 2015 11:10:32 -0500, D F Bonnett
wrote:

This^. Had exactly this problem with the door at my daughter's condo.
Sensor mounting brackets were loose and there was crap and bits of
leaves around the eyes. Cleaned up the eyes, remounted the brackets
securely, and reaimed them as best I could. One of those things did
the trick and solved the problem.

....also check the wire nuts on the wires. Ensure they are tight and
wires are not corroded.

It my case is has mostly been when the sensor are bumped and become
misaligned.

Posted to alt.home.repair

+1 to the safety sensor problem. Mine was spider webs on the receiving lens that reduced the light just enough that the sensor thought something was blocking the doorway
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/8/2015 11:10 AM, D F Bonnett wrote:

This^. Had exactly this problem with the door at my daughter's condo.
Sensor mounting brackets were loose and there was crap and bits of
leaves around the eyes. Cleaned up the eyes, remounted the brackets
securely, and reaimed them as best I could. One of those things did
the trick and solved the problem.

Very good, sir. You are an excellent father.
And kind to post and let us know what you
learned.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

dilbert firestorm wrote:
the issue with the electronic garage door is the way it closes.

Opening the garage is not problem. press the button without holding it
down, it opens. However, I press the button without holding it down to
close the garage door. it won't close. I've had to hold the button
down so it would close. If I release the button when the door is
half-way closed, it reverses course & stays open.

ideas?

Similar problem with my door. Found that on a bright sunny day, the sun
was hitting the receiving sensor. Had to put a "hat" over the sensor to
block the sun hitting the sensor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 09 Feb 2015 19:20:46 -0500, Arnie Goetchius
wrote:

dilbert firestorm wrote:
the issue with the electronic garage door is the way it closes.

Opening the garage is not problem. press the button without holding it
down, it opens. However, I press the button without holding it down to
close the garage door. it won't close. I've had to hold the button
down so it would close. If I release the button when the door is
half-way closed, it reverses course & stays open.

ideas?

Similar problem with my door. Found that on a bright sunny day, the sun
was hitting the receiving sensor. Had to put a "hat" over the sensor to
block the sun hitting the sensor.

Installed GDO for a friend a few years back, we put both the source
and the sensor inside black PVC pipe and strapped the PVC to the wall
with pipe clamps. Good protection against damage and direct sunlight.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 08 Feb 2015 16:01:46 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 2/8/2015 11:10 AM, D F Bonnett wrote:

This^. Had exactly this problem with the door at my daughter's condo.
Sensor mounting brackets were loose and there was crap and bits of
leaves around the eyes. Cleaned up the eyes, remounted the brackets
securely, and reaimed them as best I could. One of those things did
the trick and solved the problem.

Very good, sir. You are an excellent father.
And kind to post and let us know what you
learned.

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

Thanks for the compliment. You do what you can for your kids until
you get put under. I forgot to mention that I had found an FAQ about
garage doors that indicated that if you can force the door down by
holding the button down the problem is almost definitely with the eye,
and so I started there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/15/2015 12:03 PM, D F Bonnett wrote:
On Sun, 08 Feb 2015 16:01:46 -0500, Stormin Mormon
Very good, sir. You are an excellent father.
And kind to post and let us know what you
learned.

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

Thanks for the compliment. You do what you can for your kids until
you get put under. I forgot to mention that I had found an FAQ about
garage doors that indicated that if you can force the door down by
holding the button down the problem is almost definitely with the eye,
and so I started there.

When Mom's garage door went misbehaved, I found
the manual Dad had left near the garage door rails.
Read, follow, fix.

-
..
Christopher A. Young