Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Problem with garage door

Our garage door has started doing something weird. About 4 out of 5
times when we close it, it opens again. It will go all the way down,
then open. When we close it the second time it always stays down.

We are not the least bit handy and don't know what we should do. I
hate to call someone in if the fix is fairly simple.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds like you need to increase the "down pressure" adjustment just
slightly. If you're not the least bit handy, then look up the instructions
for your particular opener and have someone who is do it.

--
Steve Barker

wrote in message
ups.com...
Our garage door has started doing something weird. About 4 out of 5
times when we close it, it opens again. It will go all the way down,
then open. When we close it the second time it always stays down.

We are not the least bit handy and don't know what we should do. I
hate to call someone in if the fix is fairly simple.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 20, 9:27 am, "
wrote:
Our garage door has started doing something weird. About 4 out of 5
times when we close it, it opens again. It will go all the way down,
then open. When we close it the second time it always stays down.

We are not the least bit handy and don't know what we should do. I
hate to call someone in if the fix is fairly simple.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

It depends on what make and model your garage door opener is. Please
provide this information and I am sure some here can assist you. I
found this web site which may help you a bit in the mean time......it
has many models of openers and troubleshooting tips for each.
http://www.aaaremotes.com/troubleshooting.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

It depends on the make and model of your garage door opener what the
fix would be.....for example, if it were a Genie , which I
have....once in a while I have to align the laser lights to point at
one another.....these would be located on either side of the door on
the floor.

Force alignment or a open limit adjustment may be needed.

Provide us with your make and model and I am sure that someone here
can help you out.

Take a look here.....this may help a bit.

http://www.aaaremotes.com/troubleshooting.html

Dean

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in
ups.com:

Our garage door has started doing something weird. About 4 out of 5
times when we close it, it opens again. It will go all the way down,
then open. When we close it the second time it always stays down.

We are not the least bit handy and don't know what we should do. I
hate to call someone in if the fix is fairly simple.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Your electric eye may be dirty or misaligned.

Posted to alt.home.repair

GoHabsGo wrote:
" wrote in
ups.com:

Our garage door has started doing something weird. About 4 out of 5
times when we close it, it opens again. It will go all the way down,
then open. When we close it the second time it always stays down.

We are not the least bit handy and don't know what we should do. I
hate to call someone in if the fix is fairly simple.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Your electric eye may be dirty or misaligned.

Don't laugh, I had the same problem, and it ends up a branch of a fern
plant near the garage door was pushed into the path of the "electric
eye" by the door.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 22, 1:08 pm, Devin Dow wrote:
GoHabsGo wrote:
" wrote in
oups.com:

Our garage door has started doing something weird. About 4 out of 5
times when we close it, it opens again. It will go all the way down,
then open. When we close it the second time it always stays down.

We are not the least bit handy and don't know what we should do. I
hate to call someone in if the fix is fairly simple.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Your electric eye may be dirty or misaligned.

Don't laugh, I had the same problem, and it ends up a branch of a fern
plant near the garage door was pushed into the path of the "electric
eye" by the door. - Hide quoted text -

Most likely, it's the down limit or down force adjustment. Find the
manual for your unit and do the adjustment.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 20, 9:27 am, "
wrote:
Our garage door has started doing something weird. About 4 out of 5
times when we close it, it opens again. It will go all the way down,
then open. When we close it the second time it always stays down.

We are not the least bit handy and don't know what we should do. I
hate to call someone in if the fix is fairly simple.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks all for the replies. Unfortunately our door opener is very old
and was here when we moved in 18 years ago. There's no manual.

We tried tightening all the bolts on the door and that seemed to help.

Chances are a new opener is in our future.

Thanks again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

There is a pressure adjustment no matter the brand. Can you post the brand
and model? The manuals are online.

--
Steve Barker

wrote in message