Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Snowblower starter gear won't engage or worn off

Ahrens 7HP snowblower, starter turns over but clearly the gear (or maybe the solenoid) is not engaging so it won't start.

I assume all that I do is pop off the starter and if the gear is sheared off, replace it. If not the solenoid isn't pushing the gear out far enough (light scraping noise).

Are these the proper debugging steps or should I be looking for something else? Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 Jan 2015 11:38:13 -0800 (PST), noname
wrote:

Ahrens 7HP snowblower, starter turns over but clearly the gear (or maybe the solenoid) is not engaging so it won't start.

I assume all that I do is pop off the starter and if the gear is sheared off, replace it. If not the solenoid isn't pushing the gear out far enough (light scraping noise).

Are these the proper debugging steps or should I be looking for something else? Thanks!

Well, being a Briggs engine, the starter will not have a pre-engage
solenoid, so forget that. They are an inertia drive (aka bendix) and
the most common problem is the helix gets frozen or sticky. I
generally pull the starter and soak the helix with penetrating oil to
get it moving, then wash it with solvent and blow it dry. A light
dusting of graphite or a spray of colloidal graphite lube and it's
generally good for another few years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Ahrens 7HP snowblower, starter turns over but clearly the gear (or maybe the solenoid) is not engaging so it won't start.

I assume all that I do is pop off the starter and if the gear is sheared off, replace it. If not the solenoid isn't pushing the gear out far enough (light scraping noise).

Are these the proper debugging steps or should I be looking for something else? Thanks!

Well, being a Briggs engine, the starter will not have a pre-engage
solenoid, so forget that. They are an inertia drive (aka bendix) and
the most common problem is the helix gets frozen or sticky. I
generally pull the starter and soak the helix with penetrating oil to
get it moving, then wash it with solvent and blow it dry. A light
dusting of graphite or a spray of colloidal graphite lube and it's
generally good for another few years.

Too sore from shoveling to pull the starter off :-( Petty sure it is a Tecumseh engine. I pull it off and see what is there. Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, January 24, 2015 at 1:38:16 PM UTC-6, noname wrote:
Ahrens 7HP snowblower, starter turns over but clearly the gear (or maybe the solenoid) is not engaging so it won't start.

I assume all that I do is pop off the starter and if the gear is sheared off, replace it. If not the solenoid isn't pushing the gear out far enough (light scraping noise).

Are these the proper debugging steps or should I be looking for something else? Thanks!

A light spring holds the gear back, and the spin moves it to engage (worm gear).
Plastic and fairly cheap! Roll pin to remove it IIRC.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Try warming up the flywheel end of the starter with a blow dryer . My
starter on the Kohler engine on my tractor does that too when it's really
cold out .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, January 24, 2015 at 11:38:16 AM UTC-8, noname wrote:
Ahrens 7HP snowblower, starter turns over but clearly the gear (or maybe the solenoid) is not engaging so it won't start.

I assume all that I do is pop off the starter and if the gear is sheared off, replace it. If not the solenoid isn't pushing the gear out far enough (light scraping noise).

Are these the proper debugging steps or should I be looking for something else? Thanks!

I found a good used starter for the Techumseh 7 hp motor, is this the one you have? if so this looks to be centrifugal in the engagement, if not it is engaged and uses some type of clutch or starter gear assembly.
The splines or gears may be ground up if you can see them, other wise I would take it apart to see exactly where to go, it may be a engagement issue where the gears need filing to be able to mesh now they have ground .
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, January 24, 2015 at 11:38:16 AM UTC-8, noname wrote:
Ahrens 7HP snowblower, starter turns over but clearly the gear (or maybe the solenoid) is not engaging so it won't start.

I assume all that I do is pop off the starter and if the gear is sheared off, replace it. If not the solenoid isn't pushing the gear out far enough (light scraping noise).

Are these the proper debugging steps or should I be looking for something else? Thanks!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tecumseh-Ori...04829029&rt=nc
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Tecumseh SnowKing starter is the same setup as the Briggs.