Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Making Firewood....From Tree Trunks

I'm used to seeing those small bundles of firewood for sale at
supermarkets and other places, but I never stopped to think about how
they turned trees into firewood.

Here's a video showing one way it's done.

http://tinyurl.com/mbwjf5u

The guy inside that rig seems pretty good at what he's doing.

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/17/2015 2:07 PM, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
I'm used to seeing those small bundles of firewood for sale at
supermarkets and other places, but I never stopped to think about how
they turned trees into firewood.

Here's a video showing one way it's done.

http://tinyurl.com/mbwjf5u

The guy inside that rig seems pretty good at what he's doing.

Jeff

I know a guy that does that but his saw is fed by a roller conveyor. He
puts the logs on it and they are pulled up, cut and split the same as
this video. Other difference it the cut logs fell right into the back of
his truck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/17/2015 2:07 PM, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
I'm used to seeing those small bundles of firewood for sale at
supermarkets and other places, but I never stopped to think about how
they turned trees into firewood.

Here's a video showing one way it's done.

http://tinyurl.com/mbwjf5u

The guy inside that rig seems pretty good at what he's doing.

Jeff

I know a guy that does that but his saw is fed by a roller conveyor. He
puts the logs on it and they are pulled up, cut and split the same
as this video. Other difference it the cut logs fell right into the
back of his truck.

Real Men cut with a chainsaw and split with a maul and/or hammer and wedge
.. I have 4 cords cut/stacked/drying , all done by hand . That's how I keep
my youthful figure ... swingin' a 9 pound maul WILL tighten your abs !

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

chainsaw? use a two man saw.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/17/2015 3:56 PM, Pico Rico wrote:

Real Men cut with a chainsaw and split with a maul and/or hammer and
wedge . I have 4 cords cut/stacked/drying , all done by hand . That's how
I keep my youthful figure ... swingin' a 9 pound maul WILL tighten your
abs !

chainsaw? use a two man saw.

Two men? I use a coping saw.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/17/2015 3:56 PM, Pico Rico wrote:

Real Men cut with a chainsaw and split with a maul and/or hammer
and wedge . I have 4 cords cut/stacked/drying , all done by hand .
That's how I keep my youthful figure ... swingin' a 9 pound maul
WILL tighten your abs !

chainsaw? use a two man saw.

Two men? I use a coping saw.

ROTFLMAO- Pico , my 6 foot 2 man saw is still in Memphis and I don't think
my wife wants to help . --
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

What Terry Coombs/Snag says.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/17/2015 4:19 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/17/2015 3:56 PM, Pico Rico wrote:

Real Men cut with a chainsaw and split with a maul and/or hammer and
wedge . I have 4 cords cut/stacked/drying , all done by hand . That's
how
I keep my youthful figure ... swingin' a 9 pound maul WILL tighten your
abs !

chainsaw? use a two man saw.

Two men? I use a coping saw.

I have a blade on my Leatherman.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
I'm used to seeing those small bundles of firewood for sale at
supermarkets and other places, but I never stopped to think about how they
turned trees into firewood.

During my Nam Tour, back in the late 60s, I learned hand-to-hand combat to
such a degree that I earned the nick "Silent Tiger." I could literally
karate-chop a Mongolian Bladder Tree in half with a single chop. When I
finally arrived stateside, I put those same skills to work in Pa, where I
worked for a while at a lumber mill. Although the lumber mill preferred the
use of saws to ripcut sections of mighty trees, once in a while I
demonstrated my remarkable ability just for fun.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, January 17, 2015 at 12:49:47 PM UTC-8, Terry Coombs wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

Same here. Currently have around 80 cords of Black Locust in the stacks, most was done manually with Fiskars X27, 6lb maul, wedge, 10lb sledge.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

I'm used to seeing those small bundles of firewood for sale at
supermarkets and other places, but I never stopped to think about how
they turned trees into firewood.

Here's a video showing one way it's done.

http://tinyurl.com/mbwjf5u

The guy inside that rig seems pretty good at what he's doing.

Jeff

Very cool video. It reminds me of the apple slicer use when I make my kids lunches.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 18 Jan 2015 18:38:19 GMT, wg_2002 wrote:

Here's a video showing one way it's done.

http://tinyurl.com/mbwjf5u

The guy inside that rig seems pretty good at what he's doing.

Jeff

Very cool video. It reminds me of the apple slicer use when I make my kids lunches.

You might like this. Cuts, strips branches and cuts timber sized to
fit the logging truck. I'm curious if the cab has a way to measure
and cut the length each time?

_The Ultimate Wood Cutting Vehicle_

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuuPI2hyt6M
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 17 Jan 2015 15:32:38 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I know a guy that does that but his saw is fed by a roller conveyor. He
puts the logs on it and they are pulled up, cut and split the same as
this video. Other difference it the cut logs fell right into the back of
his truck.

Yeah but. They weren't stacked neatly...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 17 Jan 2015 18:17:04 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 1/17/2015 4:19 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/17/2015 3:56 PM, Pico Rico wrote:

Real Men cut with a chainsaw and split with a maul and/or hammer and
wedge . I have 4 cords cut/stacked/drying , all done by hand . That's
how
I keep my youthful figure ... swingin' a 9 pound maul WILL tighten your
abs !

chainsaw? use a two man saw.

Two men? I use a coping saw.

I have a blade on my Leatherman.

Whittle it down into a sling shot.

Cut it three times and it's still to short ... have a board stretcher
handy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/17/2015 5:35 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

ROTFLMAO- Pico , my 6 foot 2 man saw is still in Memphis and I don't think
my wife wants to help . --
Snag

They did call em "Misery Whips" at some
point in the nation's history.

A quote that float in my mind, the boat:

"A man who can't sharpen his own saw is
no damn good."

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, January 19, 2015 at 5:29:49 AM UTC-8, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/17/2015 5:35 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

ROTFLMAO- Pico , my 6 foot 2 man saw is still in Memphis and I don't think
my wife wants to help . --
Snag

They did call em "Misery Whips" at some
point in the nation's history.

For a very good reason too. I helped my dad use one to cut down a tree and didn't like it at all. Then about 10 years later my landlord asked me to help him fall a tree with one. My opinion hadn't changed in the slightest.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 18 Jan 2015 11:42:00 -0800, Oren wrote:

On 18 Jan 2015 18:38:19 GMT, wg_2002 wrote:

Here's a video showing one way it's done.

http://tinyurl.com/mbwjf5u

The guy inside that rig seems pretty good at what he's doing.

Jeff

Very cool video. It reminds me of the apple slicer use when I make my
kids lunches.

You might like this. Cuts, strips branches and cuts timber sized to fit
the logging truck. I'm curious if the cab has a way to measure and cut
the length each time?

_The Ultimate Wood Cutting Vehicle_

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuuPI2hyt6M

That is an impressive piece of machinery. I'm not sure but I bet your
right. The operator must have a way to measure his cuts so they are the
right length.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 20 Jan 2015 18:18:14 GMT, wg_2002 wrote:

On Sun, 18 Jan 2015 11:42:00 -0800, Oren wrote:

On 18 Jan 2015 18:38:19 GMT, wg_2002 wrote:

Here's a video showing one way it's done.

http://tinyurl.com/mbwjf5u

The guy inside that rig seems pretty good at what he's doing.

Jeff
Very cool video. It reminds me of the apple slicer use when I make my
kids lunches.

You might like this. Cuts, strips branches and cuts timber sized to fit
the logging truck. I'm curious if the cab has a way to measure and cut
the length each time?

_The Ultimate Wood Cutting Vehicle_

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuuPI2hyt6M

That is an impressive piece of machinery. I'm not sure but I bet your
right. The operator must have a way to measure his cuts so they are the
right length.

Indeed impressive. I'm guessing some type of laser built in and
computerized? At ~2:00 it seems to place smaller diameter timber in a
second pile, like it knows to separate the logs. I'd enjoy getting
into the cab
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

There is an encoder wheel in the head to measure
length.
It is an expensive part to replace and they do get
damaged in service. I have come up with a way to
repair
them. These machines work better on conifers
because
the branches are pretty square to the trunk. On
hardwoods
the branches are at an angle to the trunk causing
the
de-limber knives to deflect leaving a spear on the
log in
one direction and dig into the trunk the other
direction.