Posted to alt.home.repair

Default laminate plywood or wood -- sources?

this is for my computer workstation project.

what's a good source to get cherry or tiger mahogany laminate plywood?

checked out Home depot's website, they don't seem to carry the ones at
higher thickness, at least 1.25".

--
Dilbert Firestorm

remove *byteme* to email me
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/7/2015 10:09 PM, dilbert firestorm wrote:
this is for my computer workstation project.

what's a good source to get cherry or tiger mahogany laminate plywood?

checked out Home depot's website, they don't seem to carry the ones at
higher thickness, at least 1.25".

Hard to find anything thicker than 3/4". That is plenty thick for a
desk but if you want it to appear thicker, put a solid cherry strip on
the edge. Adds a lot of rigidity and covers up the plywood edge.

Forget HD for that type of material. You need a hardwood dealer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Here's where I go:

http://boulterplywood.com/

High quality; no voids; bookmatched grain.
But I can drive there. I know that they ship a
lot of stock, but you might look for someplace
close to you.

I don't know why you'd want 1 1/4". As Ed
Pawlowski said, if you want it to look thicker
than 3/4 you can use trim or double it up.
I also don't know what tiger mahogany is.
I'm guessing that you mean what I know as
ribbon stripe. In any case, Boulter has "Honduran"
and ribbon stripe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 07 Jan 2015 21:09:42 -0600, dilbert firestorm
wrote:

this is for my computer workstation project.

what's a good source to get cherry or tiger mahogany laminate plywood?

checked out Home depot's website, they don't seem to carry the ones at
higher thickness, at least 1.25".

In baltimore there are one or two lumberyards that carry less asked for
wood

I say one or two because I ordered it at one, but they had me pick it up
a couple days later at another one. Didn't have the same name. Maybe
one was the wholesaler to the second.

IOW, ask at a local lumberyard.
Posted to alt.home.repair

dilbert firestorm wrote:
this is for my computer workstation project.

what's a good source to get cherry or tiger mahogany laminate plywood?

checked out Home depot's website, they don't seem to carry the ones at
higher thickness, at least 1.25".

Take a look at http://www.jamestowndistributors.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/7/2015 9:17 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/7/2015 10:09 PM, dilbert firestorm wrote:
this is for my computer workstation project.

what's a good source to get cherry or tiger mahogany laminate plywood?

checked out Home depot's website, they don't seem to carry the ones at
higher thickness, at least 1.25".

Hard to find anything thicker than 3/4". That is plenty thick for a
desk but if you want it to appear thicker, put a solid cherry strip on
the edge. Adds a lot of rigidity and covers up the plywood edge.

Forget HD for that type of material. You need a hardwood dealer.

I suppose I can make to with 1". They seem to have it.

--
Dilbert Firestorm

remove *byteme* to email me
Posted to alt.home.repair

| I suppose I can make to with 1". They seem to have it.

Home Depot does? Home Depot is not the place
to look for hardwood plywood with good grain. A
lot of it isn't even flat. And you're thinking of buying
it sight-unseen? That's *really* not a good idea.

The one thing you can be sure of is that HD will be
trying to keep the cost down -- for you and for
them -- while providing something their average
customer will think is good enough. With cherry
that will probably mean you'll get cherry plywood
with sapwood veneers, resulting in the kind of
garish white-and-tan stripe look of cheap cherry
cabinet doors. Remember when HD had Mills Pride
maple cabinets? Mills Pride was their own front
company. I had to be careful picking doors and draw
faces. I saw both burnt or rotted black streaks and
green streaks in some of them, as well as small knotholes.
Most people accept that, figuring that maple is maple
and not having an eye for good grain. That's a big part
of how HD can make their cabinets cheap. The rest of
it is just particle board, so if they can make the actual
wood parts out of junk stock they can save big.

The back is also an issue. Will any backs show?
If so, does the HD plywood have good backs? The
plywood I buy is rated A2. The front is bookmatched.
The back is almost as good. Sometimes the grain just
isn't very interesting on the back. Sometimes it's hard
to tell which is the good side. If you're going to have it
shipped then why not get good product?

Another option, if you're not so picky about grain,
would be to go to a local lumber yard and look through
their birch ply. It's typically a bland mix of white and
darker veneers, meant to be painted. But sometimes
you can find very beautiful and consistent "red birch"
veneers covering a whole sheet, with flares of pink
and green. I once heard that means the tree was dying,
but it makes for beautiful grain.