Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 9v battery burns down house

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnVDayI-gwI

I never would have thought it possible.

OTOH: The battery was obviously no where near dead

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 03 Jan 2015 18:35:21 -0600, philo* wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnVDayI-gwI

I never would have thought it possible.

Nothing new in the news. Just a rehashed subject. I throw them out
when replaced.

OTOH: The battery was obviously no where near dead

....what about drop-off boxes a local stores.? I'm surprised those
places haven't burned.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/03/2015 07:25 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 03 Jan 2015 18:35:21 -0600, philo wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnVDayI-gwI

I never would have thought it possible.

Nothing new in the news. Just a rehashed subject. I throw them out
when replaced.

OTOH: The battery was obviously no where near dead

...what about drop-off boxes a local stores.? I'm surprised those
places haven't burned.

For me it's pretty safe because if I have an old smoke detector
battery,. I do not discard it...I simply use it in a device that has a
low current drain and do no discard until completely dead.

Though I am good about recycling, I just put the 9v batteries in the
trash...possibly two a year..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 03 Jan 2015 23:03:57 -0600, philo* wrote:

For me it's pretty safe because if I have an old smoke detector
battery,. I do not discard it...I simply use it in a device that has a
low current drain and do no discard until completely dead.

Though I am good about recycling, I just put the 9v batteries in the
trash...possibly two a year..

So, I'm curious what caused the fire????
Some of us dont have the equipment of ability to watch videos.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 04 Jan 2015 15:32:39 -0600, philo* wrote:

He put the batteries to be recycled in a bag and one of them shorted out
against the case of another and got hot enough to start a fire.

It seems unbelievable but I guess it's true.

Like I said though, if the battery was dead when he threw it out, that
would not have happened...he just replaced his smoke detector battery as
a precaution.

While that seems hard to believe, I do believe it, because I once had a
coin cell battery in my pocket, and also had coins in there. All of a
sudden my leg was really hot and I quickly pulled my pocket out and
dumped the contents on the ground. That battery apparently contacted
the coins and shorted out. I dont put batteries in my pocket anymore!

I always reuse my smoke detector batteries in something else. They are
usually still good. The only problem is that there are few devices that
use the 9v batteries anymore. Years ago, all the pocket transistor
radios used them. But not too many people use those radios anymore.

I suppose if someone wants to dispose one, or store it safely, just
stick a little duct tape or electrical tape over the contacts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 04 Jan 2015 15:32:39 -0600, philo* wrote:

He put the batteries to be recycled in a bag and one of them shorted out
against the case of another and got hot enough to start a fire.

It seems unbelievable but I guess it's true.

Touch 9v battery terminals on fine steel wool to start a fire. Never
put one in you pocket with a set of keys inside. ISTR if you plug two
together you can feel heat when the batteries are not dead.

Like I said though, if the battery was dead when he threw it out, that
would not have happened...he just replaced his smoke detector battery as
a precaution.

Correct. I sometimes check a 9v battery by touching the terminals on
my tongue. Taste bad but you feel the tingle tingle
Posted to alt.home.repair

If you short the 9V terminals to a metal object half-under water will it make the water sizzle or boil?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/4/2015 7:24 PM, wrote:
If you short the 9V terminals to a metal object half-under water will it make the water sizzle or boil?

Which half is under water?

What is the amp-hour rating of the battery?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nicholas Tesla wrote: "On 1/4/2015 7:24 PM, wrote:
If you short the 9V terminals to a metal object half-under water will it make the water sizzle or boil?

Which half is under water?

What is the amp-hour rating of the battery? "

Does it matter which half is under water?? No need to over think this.

Put, for example, a 6" tall empty coffee can in 3-4" of standing water, and touch both 9V battery terminals to the part of the can sticking up out of the water. Maybe I'll draw a picture.

Again, will this heat the can up enough to evaporate some of the water?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/04/2015 04:06 PM, Oren wrote:

[snip]

Correct. I sometimes check a 9v battery by touching the terminals on
my tongue. Taste bad but you feel the tingle tingle

I do that a lot. It works with 1.5v - 9v. 12v is strong. AC is worse.

--
"We ought to be stressing real science in the classroom instead of
stressing somebody's religion" -- 'Dr' Kent Hovind
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/05/2015 11:14 AM, Sam E wrote:
On 01/04/2015 04:06 PM, Oren wrote:

[snip]

Correct. I sometimes check a 9v battery by touching the terminals on
my tongue. Taste bad but you feel the tingle tingle

I do that a lot. It works with 1.5v - 9v. 12v is strong. AC is worse.

So, where do you get your AC batteries?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 05 Jan 2015 11:44:56 -0600, philo* wrote:

On 01/05/2015 11:14 AM, Sam E wrote:
On 01/04/2015 04:06 PM, Oren wrote:

[snip]

Correct. I sometimes check a 9v battery by touching the terminals on
my tongue. Taste bad but you feel the tingle tingle

I do that a lot. It works with 1.5v - 9v. 12v is strong. AC is worse.

So, where do you get your AC batteries?

You just take DC batteries and get someone to quickly turn them back and
forth.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 05 Jan 2015 11:14:35 -0600, Sam E
wrote:

I do that a lot. It works with 1.5v - 9v. 12v is strong. AC is worse.

Why???? You can get a multimeter for as little as $5. And everyone
should have one for lots of uses around the home. Even if you are
uncomfortable testing 120V stuff in the house, you may want to test the
trailer hitch wiring on your car, or test an automotive fuse (using the
continuity mode).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 05 Jan 2015 11:44:56 -0600, philo* wrote:

On 01/05/2015 11:14 AM, Sam E wrote:
On 01/04/2015 04:06 PM, Oren wrote:

[snip]

Correct. I sometimes check a 9v battery by touching the terminals on
my tongue. Taste bad but you feel the tingle tingle

I do that a lot. It works with 1.5v - 9v. 12v is strong. AC is worse.

So, where do you get your AC batteries?

I wonder if the poster means low voltage (LV) AC. Can you briefly
touch LV wires on your tongue or between wet fingers?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 5 Jan 2015 16:15:02 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

news
wrote:

I do that a lot. It works with 1.5v - 9v. 12v is strong. AC is worse.

Why???? You can get a multimeter for as little as $5. And everyone
should have one for lots of uses around the home. Even if you are
uncomfortable testing 120V stuff in the house, you may want to test the
trailer hitch wiring on your car, or test an automotive fuse (using the
continuity mode).

I also test the 9 volt batteries with my tongue. Been doing that for 40
years or more. I always have my tongue with me.

I have several VOMs that are over $ 200 and a couple more less expensive
ones so it is not a case of not haveing any thing beter , but my tongue is
still calibrated well enough for the 9 volts.

I do agree that for around the house everyone should have one of the metes
in the maybe $ 20 price range.

What a hoot. LMAO - Thanks for the laugh, makes my day.
--
"We recommend using your hand to replace the fuse as it will take much longer using your knee."

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in
:

news
wrote:

I do that a lot. It works with 1.5v - 9v. 12v is strong. AC is worse.

Why???? You can get a multimeter for as little as $5. And everyone
should have one for lots of uses around the home. Even if you are
uncomfortable testing 120V stuff in the house, you may want to test
the trailer hitch wiring on your car, or test an automotive fuse
(using the continuity mode).

I also test the 9 volt batteries with my tongue. Been doing that for
40 years or more. I always have my tongue with me.

Well, you always have your dick with you too. And probably always have it
"handy" if you get my drift.

---

How about fixing you sig-delimiter, or don't you see anything wrong with
it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[snip]

---
[deleted]

How about fixing you sig-delimiter, or don't you see anything wrong with
it.

That sig looks like spam inserted by software the poster is using,
rather than the poster himself. Most likely, neither the poster nor the
software author cares about this.

I choose to avoid any software or service that makes me look like a spammer.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"The idea of the sacred is quite simply one of the most conservative
notions in any culture, because it seeks to turn other ideas
--uncertainty, progress, change -- into crimes." --Salman Rushdie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/05/2015 03:01 PM, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 05 Jan 2015 11:44:56 -0600, philo wrote:

On 01/05/2015 11:14 AM, Sam E wrote:
On 01/04/2015 04:06 PM, Oren wrote:

[snip]

Correct. I sometimes check a 9v battery by touching the terminals on
my tongue. Taste bad but you feel the tingle tingle

I do that a lot. It works with 1.5v - 9v. 12v is strong. AC is worse.

So, where do you get your AC batteries?

I wonder if the poster means low voltage (LV) AC. Can you briefly
touch LV wires on your tongue or between wet fingers?

I just said that as a joke, I'm sure the guy was not referring to
batteries when he said "AC"
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mark Lloyd" wrote in message

[snip]

---
[deleted]

How about fixing you sig-delimiter, or don't you see anything wrong with
it.

That sig looks like spam inserted by software the poster is using, rather
than the poster himself. Most likely, neither the poster nor the software
author cares about this.

I choose to avoid any software or service that makes me look like a
spammer.

It is inserted by the free Avast virus program. Don't know if it can be
turned off or not, and don't care.

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 06 Jan 2015 12:26:39 -0600, Mark Lloyd
wrote in

[snip]

---
[deleted]

How about fixing you sig-delimiter, or don't you see anything wrong with
it.

That sig looks like spam inserted by software the poster is using,
rather than the poster himself.

That does appear to be the case. I would think that Avast knows how
to format a proper sig delimiter, but apparently not.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Ralph Mowery:
It is inserted by the free Avast virus program. Don't know if it can be
turned off or not, and don't care.

It can be turned off. Can't recall how I did it, but Googling got me
there pretty quickly.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 06 Jan 2015 17:00:39 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per Ralph Mowery:
It is inserted by the free Avast virus program. Don't know if it can be
turned off or not, and don't care.

It can be turned off. Can't recall how I did it, but Googling got me
there pretty quickly.

Or just use software made for newsgroups ONLY. Why OE sees a reply to a
newsgroup as "email" is retarded!

Personally, I find all Signature lines that contain more than just the
user name, to be kind of annoying. It's always the same usless lines
that need to be ignored. Just more worthless clutter. About the same
as all the garbage that comes in my mailbox, wasting my time before I
can get to the useful mail. It's too bad we cant refuse junk mail and
just tell the post office to toss it in the garbage before delivering
it!

But each to their own! It's not my job to judge others! (except the
post office)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, January 3, 2015 6:35:25 PM UTC-6, philo* wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnVDayI-gwI

I never would have thought it possible.

The guy took numerous slightly weak 9V batteries and threw them loose into a paper bag in a closet? What intelligent person would do that? He probably kept his lawnmover gasoline in the same closet in his kid's bedroom.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/7/2015 2:34 PM, Davej wrote:
On Saturday, January 3, 2015 6:35:25 PM UTC-6, philo wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnVDayI-gwI

I never would have thought it possible.

The guy took numerous slightly weak 9V batteries and threw them

loose into a paper bag in a closet? What intelligent person would
do that? He probably kept his lawnmover gasoline in the same
closet in his kid's bedroom.

Everyone knows you store gasoline in open top buckets,
next to the water heater.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/4/2015 6:31 PM, philo wrote:

I always find something to use the old ones in. I know it never occurred
to me that one could start a fire

Whole world is dangerous, like that. Someone will
remember the story, new building in Japan, was it?
Turns out the concave building focus the suns rays
and was lighting cars on fire.

No kidding! Hold my beer, woman.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

Zak W posted for all of us...

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in
:

news
wrote:

I do that a lot. It works with 1.5v - 9v. 12v is strong. AC is worse.

Why???? You can get a multimeter for as little as $5. And everyone
should have one for lots of uses around the home. Even if you are
uncomfortable testing 120V stuff in the house, you may want to test
the trailer hitch wiring on your car, or test an automotive fuse
(using the continuity mode).

I also test the 9 volt batteries with my tongue. Been doing that for
40 years or more. I always have my tongue with me.

Well, you always have your dick with you too. And probably always have it
"handy" if you get my drift.

---

How about fixing you sig-delimiter, or don't you see anything wrong with
it.

And the Avast advertisement

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Wow, that is frightening, It gives you something to think about.

Thanks for the share..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/04/2015 03:00 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 03 Jan 2015 23:03:57 -0600, philo wrote:

For me it's pretty safe because if I have an old smoke detector
battery,. I do not discard it...I simply use it in a device that has a
low current drain and do no discard until completely dead.

Though I am good about recycling, I just put the 9v batteries in the
trash...possibly two a year..

So, I'm curious what caused the fire????
Some of us dont have the equipment of ability to watch videos.

He put the batteries to be recycled in a bag and one of them shorted out
against the case of another and got hot enough to start a fire.

It seems unbelievable but I guess it's true.

I seriously doubt it's true. I noticed that EVERY fire they managed
to start with a 9volt battery required them to use steel wool. The
guy didn't throw is old batteries in a pile of steel wool. Also, not
only did they need steel wool, they needed to keep moving the battery
around into new parts of the steel wool, otherwise the tiny little
spark burned out immediately. As to them "finding" the 9volt battery
that caused the house fire, all the found was a burned up drawer in a
burned up house and the drawer happened to have some old batteries in
it. There was no proof that was the cause of the fire.

The whole thing is just completely blown out of proportion. There
must be a gazillion of these 9volt batteries laying around in drawers
and perhaps a couple fires a year MAYBE caused by them. You are more
likely to be run over a by a midget driving a zamboni then for your
9volt batteries to burn down your house.

Typical nonsense story the media loves and it lets some jr. fire
Marshall go on camera.