Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Speaking of tools...

On Saturday, December 27, 2014 4:00:24 PM UTC-5, Oren wrote:
Some old threads here mentioned using a internal pipe cutter for
plastic pipe. (toilet drain repair)

https://tinyurl.com/lvluq23

This past week I had a check valve on my pool solar break. I had a
pool guy replace both check valves while here. Replaced with a newer
model that can be repaired. Thicker body and less likely to fail.

Well, at a 90 elbow on my Jandy valve - it leaked.

He used a neat tool called a (Pasco) Rambit to cut the inside pipe out
and fixed the leak. Saved the Jandy valve and put a new elbow on with
little effort.

Rambits come in sizes from 1/2" - 4".

- Saves plastic fittings and welded ball valves
- Drill out PVC pipes used for swimming pools or irrigation
- Works with a standard 3/8" corded or cordless drill (1/2" - 2" bits)
- Works on ABS DWV, PVC DWV, PVC Pressure, CPVC, Rigid PVC Electrical
Conduit

Works on Class 200, SCH 40 & SCH 80 pipe.

I'm not saying to buy one, but if you need one I can say they work
well. (FYI)

http://www.poolsupplyunlimited.com/pasco-5-ram-bit-plastic-fitting-saver-abs-or-pvc-3237/71978p1

Damndest things you learn each day

I saw Richard T, the plumber on This Old House, use one of those on
a sink, where he had to reuse the existing T in the wall. I thought
it was a neat widget then. Like you say, not something I'd buy today,
but good to know exists if and when you really need it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 04:31:42 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

Rambits come in sizes from 1/2" - 4".

- Saves plastic fittings and welded ball valves
- Drill out PVC pipes used for swimming pools or irrigation
- Works with a standard 3/8" corded or cordless drill (1/2" - 2" bits)
- Works on ABS DWV, PVC DWV, PVC Pressure, CPVC, Rigid PVC Electrical
Conduit

Works on Class 200, SCH 40 & SCH 80 pipe.

I'm not saying to buy one, but if you need one I can say they work
well. (FYI)

http://www.poolsupplyunlimited.com/pasco-5-ram-bit-plastic-fitting-saver-abs-or-pvc-3237/71978p1

Damndest things you learn each day

I saw Richard T, the plumber on This Old House, use one of those on
a sink, where he had to reuse the existing T in the wall. I thought
it was a neat widget then. Like you say, not something I'd buy today,
but good to know exists if and when you really need it.

When I saw the tool used I thought about Danny D., and his pool
'octopus' pipe system. Back then I suggested he use oversized outside
couplings. I did find a video the demonstrated the use of the Rambit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGOOuFUaLeU

Then I found another bit that removes the coupling from the pipe.
Another seemingly neat widget. "Pipe Parana". Works on toilet pipe
flanges too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZBFrMfNwlc