Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Flourescent flicker?

My two-tube flourescent fixture in my office has started flickering. Mild
so far - every 10 - 15 minutes. Keeps making me think it's a power failure
though. Bulbs still look ok. Anything I can do?

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 23 Dec 2014 17:53:19 GMT, KenK wrote:

My two-tube flourescent fixture in my office has started flickering. Mild
so far - every 10 - 15 minutes. Keeps making me think it's a power failure
though. Bulbs still look ok. Anything I can do?

TIA

I'd adjust the bulbs, and if it has a starter, do the same.

http://static.ddmcdn.com/gif/how-to-install-a-fluorescent-lamp-1.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/23/2014 12:53 PM, KenK wrote:
My two-tube flourescent fixture in my office has started flickering. Mild
so far - every 10 - 15 minutes. Keeps making me think it's a power failure
though. Bulbs still look ok. Anything I can do?

TIA

Visit Bermuda, off season. Fewer tourists.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
On 23 Dec 2014 17:53:19 GMT, KenK wrote:

My two-tube flourescent fixture in my office has started flickering. Mild
so far - every 10 - 15 minutes. Keeps making me think it's a power failure
though. Bulbs still look ok. Anything I can do?

TIA

I'd adjust the bulbs, and if it has a starter, do the same.

http://static.ddmcdn.com/gif/how-to-install-a-fluorescent-lamp-1.jpg

What about a jump starter on a big dildo?
How would that work?

Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:
My two-tube flourescent fixture in my office has started flickering. Mild
so far - every 10 - 15 minutes. Keeps making me think it's a power failure
though. Bulbs still look ok. Anything I can do?

TIA

Tubes could be getting older which need replacing or ballast is going
bad. Wiggle the tubes back and forth to renew the contacts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/23/2014 12:53 PM, KenK wrote:
My two-tube flourescent fixture in my office has started flickering. Mild
so far - every 10 - 15 minutes. Keeps making me think it's a power failure
though. Bulbs still look ok. Anything I can do?

TIA

Looks are deceiving. Do the bulbs have black ends? Even a little is an
indication of a near death. Replace the bulbs. If they still flicker,
it's the ballast. If the bulbs/fixture is a T-12, consider going to T-8.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Dec 2014 16:39:13 -0500, Meanie
wrote:

Looks are deceiving. Do the bulbs have black ends?

+1 If the black (inside the tube) color is an inch from the end they
may work. If the bulbs have black further from the ends +3 inches or
more), the complete failure is near. I've abraded/cleaned tube
contacts with an emory nail file or cloth to clean the contacts. Yak
get a little more use?

OP hasn't stated his fixture has a "starter". Those contacts may need
to be cleaned or replace the starter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/23/2014 11:53 AM, KenK wrote:
My two-tube flourescent fixture in my office has started flickering. Mild
so far - every 10 - 15 minutes. Keeps making me think it's a power failure
though. Bulbs still look ok. Anything I can do?

TIA

Do what I did:

Replace the ballast and tubes with the now current"green" technology.

I also went to full spectrum lighting.

The upgrade was not expensive and the lighting is excellent.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Meanie wrote:
On 12/23/2014 12:53 PM, KenK wrote:
My two-tube flourescent fixture in my office has started flickering. Mild
so far - every 10 - 15 minutes. Keeps making me think it's a power
failure
though. Bulbs still look ok. Anything I can do?

TIA

Looks are deceiving. Do the bulbs have black ends? Even a little is an
indication of a near death. Replace the bulbs. If they still flicker,
it's the ballast. If the bulbs/fixture is a T-12, consider going to T-8.

Hi,
I even saw a perfectly good looking bad tube(no sign of dark ring at
either end of tube). Our store has whole bunch of 4 tube fixtures.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 23 Dec 2014 17:53:19 GMT, KenK wrote:

My two-tube flourescent fixture in my office has started flickering. Mild
so far - every 10 - 15 minutes. Keeps making me think it's a power failure
though. Bulbs still look ok. Anything I can do?

TIA

You probably spent more time posting this message than it would have
taken to install some new bulbs. Just buy some bulbs. If tht dont
solve the problem, you'll need the bulbs eventually. If new bulbs dont
fix it, get a new ballast.

Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK,

These are in your office so mention them to the clean up staff or
building maintenance. These folks will probably know where the bulbs are
kept and have a ladder

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/23/2014 4:11 PM, Col. Edmund Burke wrote:
What about a jump starter on a big dildo?
How would that work?

That's prolly not the best way to bring her to orgasm...and you prolly won't be invited back to play again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2014-12-23, philoĀ* wrote:
Replace the ballast and tubes with the now current"green" technology.

I avoid "green" technology like the plague. When you go green you're
almost invariably giving up something. I'm not willing to do it.
(Screw the environmentalists, better yet hunt them down as you
would any other rabid animal.)

NSA sedition and treason -- http://www.DeathToNSAthugs.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2014-12-23, philo wrote:
Replace the ballast and tubes with the now current"green" technology.

I avoid "green" technology like the plague. When you go green you're
almost invariably giving up something. I'm not willing to do it.
(Screw the environmentalists, better yet hunt them down as you
would any other rabid animal.)

It's your money. To each his own.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2014-12-23, philo wrote:
Replace the ballast and tubes with the now current"green" technology.

I avoid "green" technology like the plague. When you go green you're
almost invariably giving up something. I'm not willing to do it.
(Screw the environmentalists, better yet hunt them down as you
would any other rabid animal.)

It's your money. To each his own.

Unfortunately, the soi disant "Roger Blake" is a zealot advocating murder
and thus deserves no attention, just help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Meanie wrote in :

On 12/23/2014 12:53 PM, KenK wrote:
My two-tube flourescent fixture in my office has started flickering.
Mild so far - every 10 - 15 minutes. Keeps making me think it's a
power failure though. Bulbs still look ok. Anything I can do?

TIA

Looks are deceiving. Do the bulbs have black ends?

Looking at them a bit closer I see one does. On one end.

Even a little is an
indication of a near death. Replace the bulbs.

sigh I hate changing bulbs. These are the awkward 2-pin bulbs if I
remember. Maybe just leave them flicker (which they aren't doing today.
Probably read your post.)

If they still flicker,
it's the ballast. If the bulbs/fixture is a T-12, consider going to
T-8.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Martel" wrote in news:m7edsh$u7j$1@dont-
email.me:

KenK,

These are in your office so mention them to the clean up staff or
building maintenance. These folks will probably know where the bulbs are
kept and have a ladder

Dave M.

Home office. I'm the maintenance staff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/24/2014 12:34 PM, KenK wrote:

Looks are deceiving. Do the bulbs have black ends?

Looking at them a bit closer I see one does. On one end.

That's all it needs and both lamps will be affected.

Even a little is an
indication of a near death. Replace the bulbs.

sigh I hate changing bulbs. These are the awkward 2-pin bulbs if I
remember. Maybe just leave them flicker (which they aren't doing today.
Probably read your post.)

Don't invite any epileptics over for the holidays.

It's easier than changing a ballast. I don't see the awkwardness....1/4
turn and pull straight down. Some also have straight connectors where
they require a simple push to snap in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 24 Dec 2014 17:34:11 GMT, KenK wrote:

sigh I hate changing bulbs. These are the awkward 2-pin bulbs if I
remember. Maybe just leave them flicker (which they aren't doing today.
Probably read your post.)

You did ask: "Anything I can do?"

Why bother if you have no intent to fix the light. Just a little
wiggle rotation of the bulbs may solve your flickering problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/24/2014 12:34 PM, KenK wrote:

Looks are deceiving. Do the bulbs have black ends?

Looking at them a bit closer I see one does. On one end.

sigh I hate changing bulbs. These are the awkward 2-pin bulbs if I
remember. Maybe just leave them flicker (which they aren't doing today.
Probably read your post.)

I've found that if the ends (about an inch
from the end) is has a dark stripe, that's
often a sign of a bad one.

You're right there is a "touch" to replacing
those. I've learned to use a sharpie, and mark
the side of the bulb where the pins are. Helps
me line up the pins and the socket.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/24/2014 2:48 PM, Meanie wrote:
On 12/24/2014 12:34 PM, KenK wrote:

sigh I hate changing bulbs. These are the awkward 2-pin bulbs if I
remember. Maybe just leave them flicker (which they aren't doing today.
Probably read your post.)

Don't invite any epileptics over for the holidays.

It's easier than changing a ballast. I don't see the awkwardness....1/4
turn and pull straight down. Some also have straight connectors where
they require a simple push to snap in.

Epis, or OCD folks. You know you've got an
OCD in your family when all the dark end
tubes get changed, the telephone cord is
hanging perfectly straight off the hand set,
and the toilet paper feeds off the correct
side of the roll.

If your epi also has OCD, it's wise to have
a couple "trampoline spotters" as they go up
the ladder. And come down, thrashing about.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2014-12-24, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Unfortunately, the soi disant "Roger Blake" is a zealot advocating murder
and thus deserves no attention, just help.

You mean like Maurice Strong (founder of the UN Environment Program)
who stated "Isn't the only hope for the planet that the industrialized
civilizations collapse? Isn't it our responsiblity to bring that
about?" How many is he advocating the murder of?

Or perhaps you refer to the millions who still die every year from malaria
due to the hatchet job on DDT done by the EPA, courtesy of Ms. Rachel
Carson's fear mongering.

As I said, declare open season and hunt 'em down like rabid animals.

NSA sedition and treason -- http://www.DeathToNSAthugs.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote in news:U2Gmw.826729$DX.179270
@fx06.iad:

You're right there is a "touch" to replacing
those. I've learned to use a sharpie, and mark
the side of the bulb where the pins are. Helps
me line up the pins and the socket.

Thanks! That's a really good tip.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/25/2014 12:24 PM, KenK wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote in news:U2Gmw.826729$DX.179270
@fx06.iad:

You're right there is a "touch" to replacing
those. I've learned to use a sharpie, and mark
the side of the bulb where the pins are. Helps
me line up the pins and the socket.

Thanks! That's a really good tip.

Wow, I'll consider that nomination for AHR
tip of the month award. Will expect to hear
from the judges panel by 5th of Jan.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote in
:

On 12/25/2014 12:24 PM, KenK wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote in
news:U2Gmw.826729$DX.179270 @fx06.iad:

You're right there is a "touch" to replacing
those. I've learned to use a sharpie, and mark
the side of the bulb where the pins are. Helps
me line up the pins and the socket.

Thanks! That's a really good tip.

Wow, I'll consider that nomination for AHR
tip of the month award. Will expect to hear
from the judges panel by 5th of Jan.

-
.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

A sure winner!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"KenK" wrote in message

My two-tube flourescent fixture in my office has started flickering. Mild
so far - every 10 - 15 minutes. Keeps making me think it's a power failure
though. Bulbs still look ok. Anything I can do?

Fluorescent lamps include a gadget called a Ballast,
which processes the power supply. Ballasts wear out.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs