Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wax drip method test for machine threads

Someone posted here, that if a nut and bolt are
stuck, you can hear the nut with a torch, and
then drip candle wax into the threads. From a
lit candle. As the temp hits the sweet spot,
the wax soaks into the thread, and lubricates
so the nut comes off easier.

I've not had the time, energy, and thought of
this at the same time. Today I've ge got a
piece of exhaust pipe from under my van, which
has four clamps.

I took the pipe out with a sawzall, actually I
guess I've go five clamps. I tried my favorite
HF impact wrench, takes a 15 MMM socket, none
of the English sockets were quite right.

Spray with castle Thrust, and a couple came loose,
a couple rounded off the nuts.

Tonight I tried the heat and wax method. The ones
with points on the nut didn't come off any easier
with the impact gun, but a couple did some loose
with a big pair of channel lock pliers, and some
slow rotation.

Test is not conclusive, not sure the wax helped.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

The heat expands the nut more than the shaft of the bolt, and frequencly loosens nuts just by the heating alone. The wax is an added feature. Heating followed quickly by an impact wrench is the best bet.

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
The heat expands the nut more than the shaft of the bolt, and frequencly loosens nuts just by the heating alone. The wax is an added feature. Heating followed quickly by an impact wrench is the best bet.
The wax idea requires that the nut enlarges sufficiently that capillary pressure draws the wax in between the two. If it wuz me, I would heat the nut quickly with a propane torch burning MAAP gas and then quickly drip muriatic acid onto the joint between nut and bolt and let that acid get sucked in by capillary pressure. Muriatic acid will dissolve rust, which is what's preventing the nut from turning.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 05 Nov 2014 06:58:30 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 11/4/2014 11:12 PM, nestork wrote:
;3304578 Wrote:
The heat expands the nut more than the shaft of the bolt, and frequencly
loosens nuts just by the heating alone. The wax is an added feature.
Heating followed quickly by an impact wrench is the best bet.

The wax idea requires that the nut enlarges sufficiently that capillary
pressure draws the wax in between the two. If it wuz me, I would heat
the nut quickly with a propane torch burning MAAP gas and then quickly
drip muriatic acid onto the joint between nut and bolt and let that acid
get sucked in by capillary pressure. Muriatic acid will dissolve rust,
which is what's preventing the nut from turning.

I had candle wax vapors last night. I'd not
want to try that with HCL concentrate. Don't
have gloves and fume hood.

Might try heat and then impact wrench. I have
another clamp, under there, which needs to
be removed later today. (Nov 05, 2014)

Chance to experiment with different techniques.

-
.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Heat red hot and quench with copius amounts of cold water. Try - if
not successful, repeat. Then again - if it is a simple clamp, the
cost of the map gas could excede the cost of the clamp - just bust the
darn thing off and replace it.