Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - Canada sending 6 F-18 fighter jets to battle ISIS

On Tue, 4 Nov 2014 04:09:06 +0100, nestork
wrote:

Loons are large
aquatic birds native to the Canadian north. I don't know if they
migrate or not.

I don't know, but do not think they migrate? Adirondack Mountains,
upstate New York have native loons. The birds a very smart with a keen
eye. Try to get close to one by boat, etc..
Senior Member

I knew there are loons in the lakes in Northern Canada, but I didn't know that loons lived as far south and New York state.

I've never seen a loon, or at least, never recognized those large birds I have seen as loons. Most people wouldn't know anything about loons if it weren't for their image being on the back of the Canadian dollar coin.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 04 Nov 2014 19:39:38 -0500, wrote:

On Tue, 4 Nov 2014 23:25:21 +0100, nestork
wrote:

'Oren[_2_ Wrote:
;3304478']On Tue, 4 Nov 2014 04:09:06 +0100, nestork
wrote:
-
Loons are large
aquatic birds native to the Canadian north. I don't know if they
migrate or not.-

I don't know, but do not think they migrate? Adirondack Mountains,
upstate New York have native loons. The birds a very smart with a keen
eye. Try to get close to one by boat, etc..

I knew there are loons in the lakes in Northern Canada, but I didn't
know that loons lived as far south and New York state.

I've never seen a loon, or at least, never recognized those large birds
I have seen as loons. Most people wouldn't know anything about loons if
it weren't for their image being on the back of the Canadian dollar
coin.

Breeding loons, like those radiomarked in this study, leave breeding
areas in late October to early November.

Loons spend the winter season along the Atlantic, Pacific, and Gulf of
Mexico coasts. Some loons winter on inland reservoirs.

Loons return to northern forested lakes and rivers in the springtime,
usually in April or early May. The breeding range includes Alaska and
much of Canada south to portions of Washington, Idaho, Montana, North
Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, New York, Vermont, New
Hampshire, and Maine.

I've seen and heard them in northern Illinois, Chain-O-Lakes when I
was a kid. Neat sound they make.
Senior Member

So they do migrate if they spend the winters on the east, west and Gulf coasts but summers in the more northerly latitudes. And if they migrate, we all musta seen them at one time or another.

Perhaps they migrate, but do so individually so they don't form those typical "V" shaped flying formations that Canada Geese do. After all, lots of birds migrate every year, but the only ones that form those "V" formations when migrating (that I know of) are Canada Geese. Other birds also migrate but maybe they do so individually so they don't form a recognizable flying formation like geese do. (?)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
-
Loons are large
aquatic birds native to the Canadian north. I don't know if they
migrate or not.-

I don't know, but do not think they migrate? Adirondack Mountains,
upstate New York have native loons. The birds a very smart with a keen
eye. Try to get close to one by boat, etc..

I knew there are loons in the lakes in Northern Canada, but I didn't
know that loons lived as far south and New York state.

I've never seen a loon, or at least, never recognized those large birds
I have seen as loons. Most people wouldn't know anything about loons if
it weren't for their image being on the back of the Canadian dollar
coin.

Courtesy of Macaulay Library
© Cornell Lab of Ornithology.

"...They are less suited to land, and typically come ashore only to
nest.

Common Loons are famous for their eerie, beautiful calls. Among these
are the tremolo, a wavering call given when a loon is alarmed or to
announce its presence at a lake. The yodel is the male loon’s
territorial claim. Each male has his own signature yodel. If a male
moves to a different territory, he will change his yodel. The wail is
the haunting call that loons give back and forth to figure out each
other’s location. Hoots are soft, short calls given to keep in contact
with each other. Parents might hoot to a chick, or one mate might hoot
to another."

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Common_Loon/sounds

Related species:

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/browse_tax/28/

Keys to identification:

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Common_Loon/id

What you and I call a loon is the "common loon". I've not seen a
"common loon" in southern New York, only upstate. Birds fascinate me