Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Brass Corrosion: Removal?

Got a couple of brass fittings where the moving parts are corroded to
where they don't move anymore.

Is there some household substance that they could be soaked in to
dissolve the corrosion?
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message

Got a couple of brass fittings where the moving parts are corroded to
where they don't move anymore.

Is there some household substance that they could be soaked in to
dissolve the corrosion?
--
Pete Cresswell

***

Have a look here
http://www.stain-removal-101.com/hom...s-cleaner.html

Larry

Senior Member

I'd try using CLR.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Larry:
Have a look here
http://www.stain-removal-101.com/hom...s-cleaner.html

Just mixed it up: 1 cup water, 1 cup white vinegar, 1/8 cup salt.

Couple days soaking... and we will see.

Thanks.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 02 Nov 2014 16:34:03 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per Larry:
Have a look here
http://www.stain-removal-101.com/hom...s-cleaner.html

Just mixed it up: 1 cup water, 1 cup white vinegar, 1/8 cup salt.

Couple days soaking... and we will see.

Thanks.

On the farm that was a good job for "milk stone remover" - which was
just strong food grade phosphoric acid.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message

Got a couple of brass fittings where the moving parts are corroded to
where they don't move anymore.

Is there some household substance that they could be soaked in to
dissolve the corrosion?

Catsup.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per (PeteCresswell):
Couple days soaking... and we will see.

On the trigger snap that was really brass, it worked 100%: it's
fully-operational now.

On the other piece that I *thought* was brass, it removed the external
corrosion, but did not penetrate to the inner workings. Probably not a
brass/non-brass issue... just a matter of penetration. I'll let it
soak awhile longer and see what happens.

Bottom Line: the water/vinegar/salt solution works.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/4/2014 11:06 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Bottom Line: the water/vinegar/salt solution works.

Rare, in this society, that anything works.
Thank you for sharing.

Wish my wax drip method worked as well as I'd
have liked.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/4/2014 2:00 PM, Pico Rico wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
the debate. Regardless of how worthy an argument
is, no one is allowed to change sides. The debate
must continue to eternity.

correction: one is allowed to change sides ONLY by saying " I never said
that", at which point the discussion turns not to the topic at hand, but
what one said or "insinuated" by what he said or failed to say.

I never said anyone was prohibited from changing sides.
I said that no one is allowed.

yes, but clearly when you said that you were averring as a the FACT that
nobody can change sides, which is not entirely true.

I think that in this time of great turmoil,
when the nation is sinking rapidly to persons
of ill will, we can agree that my reputation is
above reproach, unlike my opponent across the
aisle. Your continued protests not withstanding,
it should be very clear from my reputation and
extensive public service on this list, that I
was not mistaken when I said some thing else from
what I say now.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

sez you!

Brass garden hose nozzles and brass on/off switches (and missingo-rings) Danny D.[_10_] Home Repair 85 June 28th 13 03:44 AM
corrosion Gary[_11_] UK diy 3 April 14th 13 10:02 PM
Grinding brass swarf into brass powder James Taylor UK diy 3 April 18th 12 08:00 PM
Salt Water Corrosion Removal? (PeteCresswell) Electronics Repair 1 August 12th 07 08:48 PM
Corrosion Removal SteveB Metalworking 5 March 24th 05 08:54 PM