Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Salt Water Corrosion Removal?

I've got a USB2 mini-plug and receptacle that are both slightly
encrusted with (copper?) corrosion as a result of exposure to
salt water.

Neither is accessible to any tools that I have.

I'm wondering if there's some chemical solution: something I can
apply to the surfaces that will either mobilize the corrosion so
it can be flushed out or push it back to it's component elements.

Anybody know of something?
--
PeteCresswell
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I've got a USB2 mini-plug and receptacle that are both slightly
encrusted with (copper?) corrosion as a result of exposure to
salt water.

Neither is accessible to any tools that I have.

I'm wondering if there's some chemical solution: something I can
apply to the surfaces that will either mobilize the corrosion so
it can be flushed out or push it back to it's component elements.

Anybody know of something?

I would imagine that most any respectable acid would work. You can start
with hot vinegar, and get stronger from there. It's the same principle as
pouring dark cola (with phosphoric acid) over the corrosion on your car
battery terminals. :-)

steve

Corrosion Removal SteveB Metalworking 5 March 24th 05 08:54 PM
Salt and Vinegar - Rust removal from cast iron mikee Metalworking 14 January 28th 05 12:59 PM
Salt air corrosion in electrical connections - how to prevent? JW Electronics Repair 6 August 13th 04 06:23 PM
Salt and vinegar for rust removal Paul O. Woodworking 89 May 21st 04 09:20 PM
Tree stump removal with rock salt? Arthur Davis Home Repair 19 February 24th 04 05:41 PM