Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Shower drain leaking badly

Shower drain out of nowhere started leaking around the drain. Popped off the grate and puzzled at what I am seeing. Must confess I really never paid attention when I cleaned this thing out a few times.

There is like a tan rubber threaded insert at the top of the drain that seems a bit bent up. What confuses me is it feels like something was remove as the threads don't do anything. Accused my wife and she denied it (you know how that goes)

Here is a pictu http://ctrlv.in/454290

If you can give me some guidance I'd be grateful.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tim,

What's leaking? Is it pipe? A pipe connection? The drain to shower floor
connection?
I've no idea what the rubber threadd insert does but I'd guess that it
holds the grate that you popped off.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 Oct 2014 16:23:54 -0700 (PDT), noname
wrote:

Shower drain out of nowhere started leaking around the drain. Popped off the grate and puzzled at what I am seeing. Must confess I really never paid attention when I cleaned this thing out a few times.

There is like a tan rubber threaded insert at the top of the drain that seems a bit bent up. What confuses me is it feels like something was remove as the threads don't do anything. Accused my wife and she denied it (you know how that goes)

Here is a pictu http://ctrlv.in/454290

If you can give me some guidance I'd be grateful.

No thread, nothing is supposed to be in there.

What you see is a molded rubber insert that is force fitted between
the plastic grain pipe and the shower pan.

I don't know how easily removed it would be. It is probably 2 or 3
inches deep and is a bit tough to pull out. I'd clean it well, let it
dry, then silicone around the OD and ID and let it set for about 24
hours.

Not sure why it is bent in either. It looks like the drain pipe was
cut a little too short when it was installed. The pipe and the insert
should be about even at the top. My guess is, over the years, the
rubber dried out a bit and started to shrink in at the top and now the
water gets in there, puddles, then leaks. Fill it to the top with the
silicone so water runs across it and down the drain.

CH drain tap leaking, radiator valve leaking, valve not working (?) Clive UK diy 2 October 15th 08 05:13 AM
Tub Drain Leaking SteveC Home Repair 3 February 25th 08 02:44 AM
fix leaking (badly installed?) door sill plate Art M Home Repair 3 September 17th 07 08:49 PM
Shower Drain Strainer Won't Fit, Part II -- How to Remove a SmallLength of a Drain Pipe? mtco Home Repair 3 February 7th 07 04:45 AM
Basement Tub Drain to Shower Drain Question Aaron Home Repair 2 March 13th 06 12:30 AM