Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Re-sizing Corian

Just purchased a new cooktop. Its 1/2 " too big. Can I use a jig saw to
enlarge the opening?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bones wrote:
Just purchased a new cooktop. Its 1/2 " too big. Can I use a jig saw
to enlarge the opening?

Yes ... but you need to use a very fine blade and cut slowly . Cover the top
with masking tape where the saw will rub . A better choice is a router with
a collar and guide fixture . The enemy here is localized heat , it can cause
uneven stresses and crack your top .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 00:44:01 +0000, Bones
wrote:

Just purchased a new cooktop. Its 1/2 " too big. Can I use a jig saw to
enlarge the opening?

Do a little searching for some ideas to avoid an expensive mistake.

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4928206...untertops.html

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/how...an-countertops
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/16/2014 8:44 PM, Bones wrote:
Just purchased a new cooktop. Its 1/2 " too big. Can I use a jig saw to
enlarge the opening?

I have not read this and DuPont has other manuals on line:

http://www2.dupont.com/Surfaces/en_U...r-printing.pdf
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones[_3_] View Post
Just purchased a new cooktop. Its 1/2 " too big. Can I use a jig saw to
enlarge the opening?

--
Bones:

"Corian" is just a trade name for Plexiglas mixed with natural clays to make it opaque and give it the appearance of marble. I'd contact any company in your area that makes signs out of Plexiglas and ask them how they cut the signs to the correct size, and how they clean up the edges of their cuts to make the cut edges attractive. Any tool that will cut Plexiglas will cut Corian, although the clay in the Corian may dull the cutting tool somewhat more than just Plexiglas.

corian steve robinson Woodworking 4 July 16th 05 11:09 PM
Corian Art Ransom Woodturning 5 June 13th 05 11:35 PM
Corian countertop, can I put on a corian sink to replace the stainless? [email protected] Home Repair 3 February 17th 05 03:33 PM
corian Steve Kreitler Woodworking 3 February 29th 04 07:33 PM
Corian no one Woodworking 17 October 26th 03 01:25 PM