Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Patio Cover Tear-down

I have to remove an old wooden patio cover and replace with a sun room. All the wood is sound with some minor dry rot all over.

Can' access internet now (due to Verizon as usual) so I'll describe it. Looks like it was a joe homeowner job -- pretty basic cover...

Slab & cover are 12x12 feet. Nine 2x8's are fastened with joist handers to a 2x10 which is bolted to the house wall. The other end of the 2x8's is supported by a 4x8, 12-ft long (two 4x4's stacked). The 4x8 is on supported on five 4x4 posts. On top of the 2x8's are 12-ft lengths of 2x2 spaced about 2-inches apart.

My goal is to pull it down without it falling back and smashing the sliding door or killing somebody, mainly me.

I'm thinking about fastening some hefty ropes between some nearby trees and the 4x8 header and also to the top of the 4x4 posts to keep them from falling toward the house. Then knock the 2x2's loose from the 2x8's.

Then loosen one joist hanger one at a time at the house and lowering it. Leaving the sides and middle 2x8's for last. Then remove the 2 sides and last remove the center and push the posts/header back.

Another idea for safety maybe -- fasten 2x4 supports under each 2x8 near the house, so that the 2x8 won't come crashing down when the last screw is removed from the 2x10.

Am I missing anything.

Patio cover Andy[_30_] Home Repair 19 August 25th 13 08:46 PM
Patio Cover liukaiyuan Home Repair 0 April 3rd 08 02:07 PM
Attaching patio cover to house GaryH Home Repair 4 November 12th 07 09:18 PM
Patio cover flashing to house Fred Home Repair 3 September 17th 05 04:36 AM
Full cover or pergola on patio Alex Home Repair 1 May 31st 04 05:44 AM