Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rusting air handler coils

Hello AHR folks, it's been a while since I've asked you helpful folks
for help.

I have a heat pump with an indoor air handler, purchased in 2002. I
found water standing on my basement floor and after drying it with the
dehumidifier I attempted to find out the source. I then found more
water coming from directly under the air handler, so called in for repair.

Guy opened the panel and the coils were rusted, and the water in the
condensation drain pan and circulating pipe was orangeish and was
clearly the reason why condensation wasn't draining and instead leaking
onto the floor.

The unit (a 2 ton Bryant) was purchased in 2002. Why would coils rust
so quickly and how can you prevent it after replacing the unit for many
$$$? My heat pump uses R22 freon and apparently it is banned for new
units but could be ordered for repairs, but to replace the coils would
be nearly as expensive for the whole job as it would be to replace both
the heat pump and the air handler. The replacement unit I'm looking at
has stainless steel coils; is that going to last longer, and how to
prevent this problem after replacement?

--
Cheryl

HVAC Air Handler Evaporator Coils Cleaning Guide With Pictures Paul Michaels Home Repair 1 October 3rd 10 05:21 PM
HVAC Air Handler Evaporator Coils Cleaning Guide With Pictures Paul Michaels Home Ownership 0 October 3rd 10 04:36 PM
What To Clean Inside (Air-handler) AC Coils With? [email protected] Home Repair 0 May 31st 06 04:22 AM
rusting Orange Electronics Repair 6 December 19th 03 04:50 PM
rusting Orange Electronics Repair 4 December 10th 03 06:35 PM