Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sharp Microwave does not work

Hi, I have a couple-year-old Sharp Carousel R1480 microwave. The electric
control panel works well. But I have push the door up every time to make
the microwave working. Any one knows the possible reason and how to fix it?

Thank you,

Terry

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/25/2014 5:44 PM, Terry wrote:
Hi, I have a couple-year-old Sharp Carousel R1480 microwave. The electric
control panel works well. But I have push the door up every time to make
the microwave working. Any one knows the possible reason and how to fix it?

Thank you,

Terry

What do you mean by "push the door up"? Does this mean "Push the door
closed"? If so, then it is likely that one of the safety interlock switches
is defective or maladjusted. Most of the older Sharp units had a rough
wiring diagram inside the case showing where the switches and stuff are but
IF YOU ARE NOT QUALIFIED, DO NOT OPEN THE CASE! Doing something stupid
inside a microwave can be lethal.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/25/2014 4:44 PM, Terry wrote:
Hi, I have a couple-year-old Sharp Carousel R1480 microwave. The electric
control panel works well. But I have push the door up every time to make
the microwave working. Any one knows the possible reason and how to fix it?

Thank you,

Terry

I'd open it up and look at the door switch. Be careful because there is
a high voltage capacitor. It might just need to be tightened or
replaced. There are several videos on YouTube for troubleshooting
microwaves. I did not see any specific to "Sharp".
Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry wrote:
Hi, I have a couple-year-old Sharp Carousel R1480 microwave. The electric
control panel works well. But I have push the door up every time to make
the microwave working. Any one knows the possible reason and how to fix it?

Thank you,

Terry

Hi,
Door interlock switches. Usually there are two.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 25 Sep 2014 19:04:38 -0600, Tony Hwang wrote:

Terry wrote:
Hi, I have a couple-year-old Sharp Carousel R1480 microwave. The electric
control panel works well. But I have push the door up every time to make
the microwave working. Any one knows the possible reason and how to fix it?

Thank you,

Terry

Hi,
Door interlock switches. Usually there are two.

I think in the US, 3 such switches are required. They chould be easy
to check the microwave unplugged and the door shut in a way that doesn't
allow the oven to turn on. (You could test that when the oven is plugged
in, but don't forget to unplug it.)

It sounds like a misalighed switch to me. Each switch is mounted with
two screws but there's probably an oblong hole somewhere for each which
allows for some adjusting. The switches are like black, or black and
read, rectangular on all 6 sides, not counting some rounded corners.

Each switch probably has 3 places to attach wires, but only two of them
with wires attached. The wire connectors will have plactic, probably
clear plastic around them, but you can slide the meter probes underneat
that. They will all be close to the door.

The ohmmeter or continuity tester will tell you which switch is still
open when the door is shut. If you loosen one screw a little and, if
need be, the other screw even less, and everything is very quiet, as you
push the switch a trifle closer to the door, you might hear the switch
click when it goes from open to closed. Or maybe not because you're
ear with be as much as a foot away or more.

Use an awl or a nail to outline where each switch is before you start
moving anything. So you can put them back where they were.
Don't mess with the other parts. You don't even need to touch them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Yes, the interlocks are not for the door being closed...so much as forced closed with something (like a towel) jammed on one side. On our Panasonic there is one micro-switch on the top latch and two on the bottom. The one on the top looked overheated...and when removed it broke in-half. I had one (from repair days) and it is again salvage from the recycler.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to BenignBodger , Terry wrote:
nobody wrote:

What do you mean by "push the door up"? Does this mean "Push the door
closed"? If so, then it is likely that one of the safety interlock

switches
is defective or maladjusted. Most of the older Sharp units had a rough
wiring diagram inside the case showing where the switches and stuff are

but
IF YOU ARE NOT QUALIFIED, DO NOT OPEN THE CASE! Doing something stupid
inside a microwave can be lethal.

The door can be closed well. It needs to push the door up to start
heating. Do you think it is due to some misalignment for some switch?
where are the switches located and how to fix it?

thanks