Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT disposable moment

Battery went dead on my calculator.

Cheaper to go to DT and buy a new one.

That offends the frugal in me.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Sep 2014 12:51:40 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

Battery went dead on my calculator.

Cheaper to go to DT and buy a new one.

That offends the frugal in me.

It's Bush's fault!
--
"Cats haven't invented anything, as far as I'm aware of."-Greg Gutfeld
Posted to alt.home.repair

| Battery went dead on my calculator.
|
| Cheaper to go to DT and buy a new one.
|
| That offends the frugal in me.

I bought a Texas Instruments solar calculator
in 1985, at CVS for $10. It still works fine, except
in the dark. Though I wonder if the same thing
bought today would be so dependable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

Battery went dead on my calculator. Cheaper to go to DT and buy a new one.
That offends the frugal in me.

Contrast:
1. Fishing reels used to be made to last a lifetime,
and reparable by owners (e.g. if one of the brass
cogwheels lost a tooth and had to be replaced.)
Fishing reels nowadays are made with no provision
for lubrication -- not needed, because their components
are made of cheap white metal, not designed to be
maintained and repaired by owners during 6 or 7 years
of use.
2a. Essential car components (e.g. brake components,
exhaust systems, headlights) now usually last 4 to 6
years. In the 1970s we had to replace them every two
years or so.
2b. Much bodywork (e.g. fenders) is now made of
plastic, thus breaks or scratches much more easily
than metal components, and cannot be repaired or
repainted.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Battery went dead on my calculator.

Cheaper to go to DT and buy a new one.

That offends the frugal in me.

It's Bush's fault!

Baah, Clinton's. Remember how he used
and thew away women?

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/23/2014 3:38 PM, Mayayana wrote:
I bought a Texas Instruments solar calculator
in 1985, at CVS for $10. It still works fine, except
in the dark. Though I wonder if the same thing
bought today would be so dependable.

I wonder if TI was really made in T? Guess
I can find out if I was really curious.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/23/2014 3:49 PM, Don Phillipson wrote:
Contrast:
1. Fishing reels used to be made to last a lifetime,
and reparable by owners (e.g. if one of the brass
cogwheels lost a tooth and had to be replaced.)
Fishing reels nowadays are made with no provision
for lubrication -- not needed, because their components
are made of cheap white metal, not designed to be
maintained and repaired by owners during 6 or 7 years
of use.
2a. Essential car components (e.g. brake components,
exhaust systems, headlights) now usually last 4 to 6
years. In the 1970s we had to replace them every two
years or so.
2b. Much bodywork (e.g. fenders) is now made of
plastic, thus breaks or scratches much more easily
than metal components, and cannot be repaired or
repainted.

I remember when I was kid, greasing a fishing
reel mechanism. And it sure has changed.

I was in a farm and garden one time, and they
were selling what looked like a huge syringe
needle on a zerk fitting. I asked, and learned
that some "perma lube" U joints on combines are
noted for going out, and being time consuming
and expensive to replace. So, the farmers buy
the zerk needle, and keep em lubricated. I do
much the same with my C V shaft bearings.

I've had to use a drill and spray little red
tube to lube the fan blower on my truck's
climate air blower.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Oren belched:
wrote:

Battery went dead on my calculator.

Cheaper to go to DT and buy a new one.

That offends the frugal in me.

It's Bush's fault!

that just doesn't add up : )

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Stormin Mormon belched:
On 9/23/2014 3:38 PM, Mayayana wrote:
I bought a Texas Instruments solar calculator
in 1985, at CVS for $10. It still works fine, except
in the dark. Though I wonder if the same thing
bought today would be so dependable.

I wonder if TI was really made in T? Guess
I can find out if I was really curious.

yes it was, in Richardson, Texas, actually

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Sep 2014 15:49:32 -0400, "Don Phillipson"
wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

Battery went dead on my calculator. Cheaper to go to DT and buy a new one.
That offends the frugal in me.

Contrast:
1. Fishing reels used to be made to last a lifetime,
and reparable by owners (e.g. if one of the brass
cogwheels lost a tooth and had to be replaced.)
Fishing reels nowadays are made with no provision
for lubrication -- not needed, because their components
are made of cheap white metal, not designed to be
maintained and repaired by owners during 6 or 7 years
of use.

I have a Mitchell 300 from the late 60's and one I bought 10
years ago. The only similarity is the model number, and the
silhouette.
2a. Essential car components (e.g. brake components,
exhaust systems, headlights) now usually last 4 to 6
years. In the 1970s we had to replace them every two
years or so.

Huh ? Well, maybe you drove faster in the 70's.
2b. Much bodywork (e.g. fenders) is now made of
plastic, thus breaks or scratches much more easily
than metal components, and cannot be repaired or
repainted.

Here in Brazil you have to special order unusual parts for
your car if it's more than 5 years old. If it's over 10 years old, no
luck, the main dealers auction all the spares off to scrap dealers.
Can't wait for someone to open up a 3D printing service with
databases of all the old car parts. If he's smart, and does not
overcharge, he'll make a fortune. Maybe I'll finally get that little
lever that makes the driver's door open from the outside.
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Sep 2014 16:42:06 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

Baah, Clinton's. Remember how he used and thew away women?

If I remember correctly, they stuck to him. Still do.

Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org

Can't afford it right now. Do they have credit plans ?
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Sep 2014 09:51:40 -0700, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

Battery went dead on my calculator.

Cheaper to go to DT and buy a new one.

That offends the frugal in me.

.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

I too bought a TI solar powered calculator, TI-36X SOLAR, for around $10,
which I still use.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 Sep 2014 05:57:40 -0700, Shadow wrote:

...snip....

Here in Brazil you have to special order unusual parts for
your car if it's more than 5 years old. If it's over 10 years old, no
luck, the main dealers auction all the spares off to scrap dealers.
Can't wait for someone to open up a 3D printing service with
databases of all the old car parts. If he's smart, and does not
overcharge, he'll make a fortune. Maybe I'll finally get that little
lever that makes the driver's door open from the outside.
[]'s

Post model, year, etc [photo?] as part of your reply, and some kind soul
may send it to you. Don't forget to have that kid soul gaily wrap and
label Happy Birthday, or Merry Christmas, or such [to keep customs off
your back]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, September 23, 2014 9:51:40 AM UTC-7, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Battery went dead on my calculator.
Cheaper to go to DT and buy a new one.
That offends the frugal in me.

I needed a new battery for the cell phone. Cost would have almost equaled a new phone! I made do with the old battery by keeping it charged.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Phillipson wrote:

2a. Essential car components (e.g. brake components,
exhaust systems, headlights) now usually last 4 to 6
years. In the 1970s we had to replace them every two
years or so.

Don't forget the whole plugs/points/wires deal. When I bought the Toyota I
scanned the manual for the maintenance schedule. It boiled down to changing
the oil and rotating the tires every 5000 miles. The last one said to change
the coolant every two years but they seem to have come up with eternal
coolant too.

I enjoy working on vehicles; fortunately I have a few bikes that give me
something to do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote:
On Tuesday, September 23, 2014 9:51:40 AM UTC-7, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Battery went dead on my calculator.
Cheaper to go to DT and buy a new one.
That offends the frugal in me.

I needed a new battery for the cell phone. Cost would have almost
equaled a new phone! I made do with the old battery by keeping it
charged.

You could buy a similar phone for $4 at a thrift shop and have a good chance of
finding a good battery. Or post a Wanted: on freecycle.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, September 23, 2014 12:51:40 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Battery went dead on my calculator.

You sure it didn't leak?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/24/2014 10:14 AM, Harry K wrote:

I needed a new battery for the cell phone. Cost would have almost equaled a new phone! I made do with the old battery by keeping it charged.

Harry K

eBay can be good for things like that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/23/2014 09:51 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Battery went dead on my calculator.

Cheaper to go to DT and buy a new one.

That offends the frugal in me.

What is the cost break down of battery vs new?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/24/2014 1:25 PM, Thomas wrote:
On Tuesday, September 23, 2014 12:51:40 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Battery went dead on my calculator.

You sure it didn't leak?

LOL, I'm sure.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Battery went dead on my calculator.

Cheaper to go to DT and buy a new one.

That offends the frugal in me.

.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

I too bought a TI solar powered calculator, TI-36X SOLAR, for around
$10, which I still use.

My first calculator was a Radio Shack in 1977. Rechargeable,
fluorescent display. I soon got a cheaper Casio because I wanted trig
functions and natural logs. I guess I used it daily for 20 years.

In 1976, I got a Radio Shack digital multimeter. It still works fine.
I have others, but that one will measure voltage throughout the audio
range. I don't think I've had another that will do that.

My first digital watch cost $85 in 1975. Within a year, the
stainless-steel band broke while I was riding my motorcycle in the rain.
By the time I realized it was gone, a car had run over it. Why don't
they look where they're going!

After that, button trouble would do in my digital watches in 2 or 3
years, until my last one, in 2005. It keeps working.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Todd" wrote in message
On 09/23/2014 09:51 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Battery went dead on my calculator.

Cheaper to go to DT and buy a new one.

That offends the frugal in me.

What is the cost break down of battery vs new?

Good question. With details it would be pretty easy to solve this problem.
Unless you go out of your way to buy batteries at the most expensive place
in the world, you can find button batteries 10 for a buck or two on line or
the Dollar store. I buy 10 packs of the most popular sizes and give the
excess away to neighbors and friends because they usually go bad before I
can use them all up. Ebay and Amazon have pretty good prices.

SH

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Battery went dead on my calculator.

Cheaper to go to DT and buy a new one.

That offends the frugal in me.

.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Same thing happened to me. Went to Walgreens to buy a battery for my
calculator and they wanted around $4 for the battery. Went to the
aisle with calculators and the same calculator I already had was still
being sold and was only $3!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/25/2014 10:06 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:
Same thing happened to me. Went to Walgreens to buy a battery for my
calculator and they wanted around $4 for the battery. Went to the
aisle with calculators and the same calculator I already had was still
being sold and was only $3!

My calculator with the dead battery went out with
the trash this morning. That offends me.

Lets see, first I'll riot, then I'll loot, and
then I'll burn down my neighborhood, and then
apply to the Fed for relief funds.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Disposable Nappies! Andy Burns UK diy 18 April 23rd 07 01:35 PM
question on my disposable Amanda Home Repair 51 February 4th 07 11:01 AM
disposable coveralls Peter Taylor UK diy 0 September 12th 06 07:46 PM
disposable coveralls sm_jamieson UK diy 0 September 11th 06 03:57 PM
disposable coveralls Saxman UK diy 2 September 10th 06 07:16 AM