Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Large volume caulking?

Is there a product like caulking but softer when applied? Something that
can be easily applied from a squirt or spray can to fill a large space such
as an inch or so crack several inches deep and more inches wide that is
awkward to reach?

Something that then sets to the density of regular tube caulk.

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 09/10/2014 9:02 AM, KenK wrote:
Is there a product like caulking but softer when applied? Something that
can be easily applied from a squirt or spray can to fill a large space such
as an inch or so crack several inches deep and more inches wide that is
awkward to reach?

Something that then sets to the density of regular tube caulk.

Spray foam is about only thing that comes to mind...just don't overfill
a constrained space or it'll pop wallboard nails, etc., etc., etc., ...
as it expands.

Posted to alt.home.repair

That's a very vague question. A crack in wood?
Concrete? Inside? Outside?
"several inches deep and more inches wide"
Does that mean it's 1" x 6"+? That's not really a crack.
It's an opening. There are many ways to deal with
that but it really depends on the details. As dpb said,
there's always sprayfoam insulation, but that's very
lightweight. It won't stop mice and may not stop bugs.

"KenK" wrote in message
| Is there a product like caulking but softer when applied? Something that
| can be easily applied from a squirt or spray can to fill a large space
such
| as an inch or so crack several inches deep and more inches wide that is
| awkward to reach?
|
| Something that then sets to the density of regular tube caulk.
|
| TIA
|

| --
| You know it's time to clean the refrigerator
| when something closes the door from the inside.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 09/10/2014 9:19 AM, dpb wrote:
On 09/10/2014 9:02 AM, KenK wrote:
Is there a product like caulking but softer when applied? Something that
can be easily applied from a squirt or spray can to fill a large space
such
as an inch or so crack several inches deep and more inches wide that is
awkward to reach?

Something that then sets to the density of regular tube caulk.

Spray foam is about only thing that comes to mind...just don't overfill
a constrained space or it'll pop wallboard nails, etc., etc., etc., ...
as it expands.

If it's masonry/concrete w/ a missing chunk, start with backer rod or
other filler material.

Undoubtedly more info and particularly a picture posted somewhere would
be of great benefit in targeting any answers to the actual situation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Spray foam comes in two varieties, expanding, that will bend walls, and a more gentle expansion meant for those applications where you don't want a high-pressure build-up from the foam. Once the foam sets, you can cover it with a thin layer of caulk if desired.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote in :

On 09/10/2014 9:02 AM, KenK wrote:
Is there a product like caulking but softer when applied? Something
that can be easily applied from a squirt or spray can to fill a large
space such as an inch or so crack several inches deep and more inches
wide that is awkward to reach?

Something that then sets to the density of regular tube caulk.

Spray foam is about only thing that comes to mind...just don't
overfill a constrained space or it'll pop wallboard nails, etc., etc.,
etc., ... as it expands.

--

Where can I find this in the store? With what other more common stuff?
Insulation? Caulk? Elsewhere?

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

Poorly fitting plywood used in window frame to mount evaporative cooler.
Plywood is warping away from siding. I intend to try some screws to bend
it back. If unsuccessful need to fill in space to keep water leaking in
at warped spot out of house. I've tried caulk but it doesn't work in
this situation for some reason. Keeps opening up gap. Replacing plywood
beyond my capabilities and budget.

"Mayayana" wrote in
:

"KenK" wrote in message
| Is there a product like caulking but softer when applied? Something
| that can be easily applied from a squirt or spray can to fill a large
| space
such
| as an inch or so crack several inches deep and more inches wide that
| is awkward to reach?
|
| Something that then sets to the density of regular tube caulk.
|
| TIA
|

| --
| You know it's time to clean the refrigerator
| when something closes the door from the inside.

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenK View Post
Is there a product like caulking but softer when applied? Something that
can be easily applied from a squirt or spray can to fill a large space such
as an inch or so crack several inches deep and more inches wide that is
awkward to reach?

Something that then sets to the density of regular tube caulk.
A Sashco product called "Big Stretch" might fit the bill here.

It's an acrylic caulk that dries to a softer rubbery consistancy, a bit softer than silicone caulk. And, it's meant to stretch and compress with joints that have large amounts of movement.

Big Stretch® by Sashco, Acrylic Latex Caulk
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Large volume caulking? Backer rod

KenK posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

Is there a product like caulking but softer when applied? Something that
can be easily applied from a squirt or spray can to fill a large space such
as an inch or so crack several inches deep and more inches wide that is
awkward to reach?

Something that then sets to the density of regular tube caulk.

TIA

Foam is one thing but you might need backer rod prior to caulking. Don't
know the circumstances.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

| Poorly fitting plywood used in window frame to mount evaporative cooler.
| Plywood is warping away from siding. I intend to try some screws to bend
| it back. If unsuccessful need to fill in space to keep water leaking in
| at warped spot out of house.

I still can't picture it, but if rain is getting into
a vertical gap I wonder if maybe a strip of aluminum
flashing would help.

| I've tried caulk but it doesn't work in
| this situation for some reason. Keeps opening up gap.

That may be from expansion and contraction
of the plywood. If it has to resist water and
needs to stick well then maybe the polyurethane
construction adhesive would be best. (Not the
regular stuff. That's been downgraded to be
fairly useless for much of anything. I don't know
why. Maybe it was a VOC issue.)

The spray foam is for insulation. It wouldn't work
well to stop water getting through.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10 Sep 2014 17:52:15 GMT, KenK wrote:

Poorly fitting plywood used in window frame to mount evaporative cooler.
Plywood is warping away from siding. I intend to try some screws to bend
it back. If unsuccessful need to fill in space to keep water leaking in
at warped spot out of house. I've tried caulk but it doesn't work in
this situation for some reason. Keeps opening up gap. Replacing plywood
beyond my capabilities and budget.

I'd just glue some plastic sheeting where its leaking.
Make it a bit loose. You can use caulking as the glue.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"KenK" wrote in message
Is there a product like caulking but softer when applied? Something
that can be easily applied from a squirt or spray can to fill a
large space

such
as an inch or so crack several inches deep and more inches wide that
is awkward to reach?

"Mayayana" wrote in
:

That's a very vague question. A crack in wood?
Concrete? Inside? Outside?

KenK typed:
Poorly fitting plywood used in window frame to mount evaporative
cooler. Plywood is warping away from siding. I intend to try some
screws to bend it back. If unsuccessful need to fill in space to keep
water leaking in at warped spot out of house. I've tried caulk but it
doesn't work in this situation for some reason. Keeps opening up gap.
Replacing plywood beyond my capabilities and budget.

Any chance that you can take a photo or two with a digital camera and use a
free website like http://tinypic.com to post a link to those photos?

Maybe one photo from a wider angle and one or two close-ups.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mayayana" wrote in
:

| Poorly fitting plywood used in window frame to mount evaporative
| cooler. Plywood is warping away from siding. I intend to try some
| screws to bend it back. If unsuccessful need to fill in space to keep
| water leaking in at warped spot out of house.

I still can't picture it, but if rain is getting into
a vertical gap I wonder if maybe a strip of aluminum
flashing would help.

| I've tried caulk but it doesn't work in
| this situation for some reason. Keeps opening up gap.

That may be from expansion and contraction
of the plywood. If it has to resist water and
needs to stick well then maybe the polyurethane
construction adhesive would be best. (Not the
regular stuff. That's been downgraded to be
fairly useless for much of anything. I don't know
why. Maybe it was a VOC issue.)

The spray foam is for insulation. It wouldn't work
well to stop water getting through.

I started working on it this morning before I read this. Wanted to put a
couple of screws in mounting plywood to close the gap but it was too
awkward to work at top of stepladder.

Split open a small tube of caulking and applied it with a putty knife.
Ended up using two small tubes. Messy but seemed to work well. Will
leave it set and in a day or two just use a tube normally to touch up
what I missed.

Will run an A/C cord to it and drill a couple holes for the screws one
morning soon. Should be able to do that from the ladder. Then perhaps I
can put in the screws.

Posted to alt.home.repair

nestork wrote in
:

KenK;3282057 Wrote:
Is there a product like caulking but softer when applied? Something
that

can be easily applied from a squirt or spray can to fill a large
space such
as an inch or so crack several inches deep and more inches wide that
is

awkward to reach?

Something that then sets to the density of regular tube caulk.

A Sashco product called "Big Stretch" might fit the bill here.

It's an acrylic caulk that dries to a softer rubbery consistancy, a
bit softer than silicone caulk. And, it's meant to stretch and
compress with joints that have large amounts of movement.

'Big Stretch® by Sashco, Acrylic Latex Caulk'
(http://www.sashco.com/products/big-stretch/)

Thanks. Sounds like what I need. Will look for it if my current repair
doesn't last.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"TomR" wrote in :

"KenK" wrote in message
[...]

Maybe later if suggestions here and my current repair don't do the job.

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenK View Post
Maybe later if suggestions here and my current repair don't do the job.
If you're going to spread caulking like that, you might have been better off using a base coat plaster like USG's Perlite Admix or GP's Structolite. Base coat plasters are both sticky and light, making them a good option for filling a large void. And, they spread relatively smoothly. Considerably more smoothly than you can spread caulk, I'd say.
Posted to alt.home.repair

A photo of the completed or in-process job would be great.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 10 Sep 2014 09:19:35 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 09/10/2014 9:02 AM, KenK wrote:
Is there a product like caulking but softer when applied? Something that
can be easily applied from a squirt or spray can to fill a large space such
as an inch or so crack several inches deep and more inches wide that is
awkward to reach?

Something that then sets to the density of regular tube caulk.

Spray foam is about only thing that comes to mind...just don't overfill
a constrained space or it'll pop wallboard nails, etc., etc., etc., ...
as it expands.

I suppose you can avoid that by spraying in a little at a time, waiting
until it stops expanding before spraying any more.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 10 Sep 2014 20:22:41 +0200, nestork
wrote:

KenK;3282057 Wrote:
Is there a product like caulking but softer when applied? Something that

can be easily applied from a squirt or spray can to fill a large space
such
as an inch or so crack several inches deep and more inches wide that is

awkward to reach?

Something that then sets to the density of regular tube caulk.

A Sashco product called "Big Stretch" might fit the bill here.

It's an acrylic caulk that dries to a softer rubbery consistancy, a bit
softer than silicone caulk. And, it's meant to stretch and compress
with joints that have large amounts of movement.

'Big Stretch® by Sashco, Acrylic Latex Caulk'
(http://www.sashco.com/products/big-stretch/)

Sounds like what I need too. For my bathtub. It sounds like this
would work, buit they don't list bathrooms or tubs for this.

They have Lexel and Mildew-free. Do you have experience with either of
these?

With their webpage, I found many places that sell their brand, including
one Ace Hardware I will drive by within two weeks, and one new store,
not part of a chain afaict., I didn't know existed that now I want to
see.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

KenK;3282057 Wrote:
Is there a product like caulking but softer when applied? Something that

can be easily applied from a squirt or spray can to fill a large space
such
as an inch or so crack several inches deep and more inches wide that is

awkward to reach?

Something that then sets to the density of regular tube caulk.

A Sashco product called "Big Stretch" might fit the bill here.

It's an acrylic caulk that dries to a softer rubbery consistancy, a bit
softer than silicone caulk. And, it's meant to stretch and compress
with joints that have large amounts of movement.

'Big Stretch® by Sashco, Acrylic Latex Caulk'
(http://www.sashco.com/products/big-stretch/)

Here are reviews of Lexel, made by the same company, and also able to
stretch, and sticks to anything, they say.

The reviews have a lot of meat to them.

http://www.amazon.com/Sashco-13013-2...owViewpoints=1

It averages 4.5 out of 5, but since there is no zero, I think it's more
accurate to call the one a zero and say it averages 3.5 out of 4. A
very good rating.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"KenK" wrote in message
| Is there a product like caulking but softer when applied? Something
| that can be easily applied from a squirt or spray can to fill a large
| space
such
| as an inch or so crack several inches deep and more inches wide that
| is awkward to reach?
|
| Something that then sets to the density of regular tube caulk.
|
| TIA
|

| --
| You know it's time to clean the refrigerator
| when something closes the door from the inside.

If you are elderly or disabled, there might be social service agencies
that can assist with the work or financials....dial 211 if the phone co
in your neighborhood uses that system for getting referral assistance.

It's hard to picture the situation, but a can of premixed latex stucco
repair (unsanded) might do the trick temporarily....I used it to repair
stucco on concrete block and even to "mortar" in some cement bricks to
fill a void in ccb. It is paintable, cheap and easy to use. Thick
applications shrink a tad and might require a second app; be sure the
area is dry first, then caulk around that and paint it. It certainly
isn't a great repair, but probably better at keeping out the elements
than spray foam.

If those aren't do-able, call a siding company or handyman for an
estimate; there are good-hearted folks who might just do the job gratis;
BTDT.