Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Word Wrapping & Time Stamping

On 9/3/2014 1:31 PM, Guv Bob wrote:
Is this a problem on my end (sorry ladies)? I thought time stamps and wrapping were handled by the receiving party. I'm using OE6 -- will try anything if my posts are creating a problem for anyone.

Reading your posts are no problem for me, but when I hit reply, it goes
to one long line. Not sure why, You can go into your settings and set
the word wrap to something like 80 characters or less it it is not
specified.

I used various versions of OE and never had the problem though. See how
the text of yours that I quoted looks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/3/2014 1:31 PM, Guv Bob wrote:
Is this a problem on my end (sorry ladies)? I thought time stamps

Should have mentioned . . .
I'm on eastern DST and you posted about an hour into the future.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/3/2014 12:35 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 9/3/2014 1:31 PM, Guv Bob wrote:
Is this a problem on my end (sorry ladies)? I thought time stamps and
wrapping were handled by the receiving party. I'm using OE6 -- will
try anything if my posts are creating a problem for anyone.

Reading your posts are no problem for me, but when I hit reply, it goes
to one long line. Not sure why, You can go into your settings and set
the word wrap to something like 80 characters or less it it is not
specified.

I used various versions of OE and never had the problem though. See how
the text of yours that I quoted looks.

Still looks ok to me even though I posted the reply with your text
showing one long line. This time is shows properly on my screen. I'm
using Thunderbird portable.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message news
On 9/3/2014 1:31 PM, Guv Bob wrote:
Is this a problem on my end (sorry ladies)? I thought time stamps

Should have mentioned . . .
I'm on eastern DST and you posted about an hour into the future.

I see what you mean about the time. Looks like it's stamping it an hour ahead.

What time does this post show?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Guv Bob wrote:
Is this a problem on my end (sorry ladies)? I thought
time stamps
and wrapping were handled by the receiving party. I'm
using OE6 --
will try anything if my posts are creating a problem for
anyone.

Your clock is off by about an hour and your word wrap is
off. Set it to about 70 or 80 like Ed said
Try a program called OE-Quote fix
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta..._quotefix.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

Is this a problem on my end (sorry ladies)? I thought time stamps and wrapping were handled by the receiving party. I'm using OE6 -- will try anything if my posts are creating a problem for anyone.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ChairMan wrote:
Guv Bob wrote:
Is this a problem on my end (sorry ladies)? I thought
time stamps
and wrapping were handled by the receiving party. I'm
using OE6 --
will try anything if my posts are creating a problem for
anyone.

Your clock is off by about an hour and your word wrap is
off. Set it to about 70 or 80 like Ed said
Try a program called OE-Quote fix
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta..._quotefix.html

I'll second that quotefix suggestion . Lets you set it up so your cursor
is at the bottom or responses , you have several other choices for various
settings . I've used it for years and like it a lot .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 3 Sep 2014 12:42:42 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

ChairMan wrote:
Guv Bob wrote:
Is this a problem on my end (sorry ladies)? I thought
time stamps
and wrapping were handled by the receiving party. I'm
using OE6 --
will try anything if my posts are creating a problem for
anyone.

Your clock is off by about an hour and your word wrap is
off. Set it to about 70 or 80 like Ed said
Try a program called OE-Quote fix
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta..._quotefix.html

I'll second that quotefix suggestion . Lets you set it up so your cursor
is at the bottom or responses , you have several other choices for various
settings . I've used it for years and like it a lot .

I'm curious if his BIOS clock is off by an hour or the button battery
is fading weak.

- set that by entering the BIOS at boot up, usually by hitting the
delete key early.

- wrong time zone selected in his Windows clock?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Guv Bob wrote:

Is this a problem on my end (sorry ladies)? I thought time stamps
and wrapping were handled by the receiving party. I'm using OE6 --
will try anything if my posts are creating a problem for anyone.

Adjust your time zone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/3/2014 1:28 PM, Guv Bob wrote:
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message news
On 9/3/2014 1:31 PM, Guv Bob wrote:
Is this a problem on my end (sorry ladies)? I thought time stamps

Should have mentioned . . .
I'm on eastern DST and you posted about an hour into the future.

I see what you mean about the time. Looks like it's stamping it an hour ahead.

What time does this post show?

See it in the first line. 1:28

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 09/03/2014 12:28 PM, Guv Bob wrote:
"Ed wrote in message news
On 9/3/2014 1:31 PM, Guv Bob wrote:
Is this a problem on my end (sorry ladies)? I thought time stamps

Should have mentioned . . .
I'm on eastern DST and you posted about an hour into the future.

I see what you mean about the time. Looks like it's stamping it an hour ahead.

What time does this post show?

So, what's your local time zone/settings? Looks like it's set to early
zone by one...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Guv Bob wrote:
Is this a problem on my end (sorry ladies)? I thought time stamps and wrapping were handled by the receiving party. I'm using OE6 -- will try anything if my posts are creating a problem for anyone.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Your time zone shows 8 hours earlier than GMT.
That would be Pacific Time. (But I'm guessing it should
be Pacific Daylight Time.) You might need to edit your
time zone. (Not your clock, which is presumably reading
correctly, but your time zone, which is used to translate
your time to other peoples' in the group.
XP is out of date on that score. It shouldn't
matter at this time of year, but if you don't install
an update for it it's out of sync for a short period
during transition to and from daylight time. Maybe
you fiddled with it earlier because of that and it ended
up wrong?

Microsoft has an applet called TZEdit that allows
you to edit the time zone settings in the Registry.
That's easier than hunting down a patch every time
they change the DST schedule.

Info and download link he
http://rayli.net/blog/2008/10/using-...ving-time-dst/

You just need to look up the current DST schedule
and adjust it on your machine using TZEdit. Then make
sure you're in the right time zone.

With the wrap, I see your text fine. Email normally
has an embedded return at 76 characters, but that's
for the server, not for display. If you don't hit return
then your text should wrap when viewed. That's what
I see. If people don't see wordwrap that's in their viewer.

The problem with that, though, is that quoting adds
characters and then it gets messy. For that reason I
usually add line returns for a short line, as you see here,
leaving extra room for comment markers added by others.
But that's just a matter of personal preference.

"Guv Bob" wrote in message
Is this a problem on my end (sorry ladies)? I thought time stamps and
wrapping were handled by the receiving party. I'm using OE6 -- will try
anything if my posts are creating a problem for anyone.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message ...
On 9/3/2014 1:28 PM, Guv Bob wrote:
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message news
On 9/3/2014 1:31 PM, Guv Bob wrote:
Is this a problem on my end (sorry ladies)? I thought time stamps

Should have mentioned . . .
I'm on eastern DST and you posted about an hour into the future.

I see what you mean about the time. Looks like it's stamping it an hour ahead.

What time does this post show?

See it in the first line. 1:28

I sent it at 10:28 PDT, so if you are on EDT, I guess that issue is over.

Thanks for all the help, Ed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed wrote in message news
On 9/3/2014 1:31 PM, Guv Bob wrote:
Is this a problem on my end (sorry ladies)? I thought time stamps

Should have mentioned . . .
I'm on eastern DST and you posted about an hour into the future.

I see what you mean about the time. Looks like it's stamping it an hour ahead.

What time does this post show?

So, what's your local time zone/settings? Looks like it's set to early
zone by one...

It was set to PST. Now it's set to PDT.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Guv Bob" wrote in message
Is this a problem on my end (sorry ladies)? I thought time stamps and
wrapping were handled by the receiving party. I'm using OE6 -- will try
anything if my posts are creating a problem for anyone.

Thanks for all the good info, Mayayana!! I disabled the automatic daylight savings option because I was doing a fair amount of corresponding to youre-a-peeein' and asian folks.

Glad to hear what you said about it being the viewer's responsibility to wrap text. Now I remember hearing that years ago when someone else was complaining ad nauseum about his problems reading postings. Now it's coming back -- I remember setting it to 76 or 78 or whatever just so Mr. Whiney would shut up. But then that made it hard for me to read my own posts because I don't normally open the window to show 78 characters.

And thanks to everybody for trying to help me solve someone else's viewer problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Glad to hear what you said about it being the viewer's responsibility to
wrap text. Now I remember hearing that years ago when someone else was
complaining ad nauseum about his problems reading postings. Now it's coming
back -- I remember setting it to 76 or 78 or whatever just so Mr. Whiney
would shut up. But then that made it hard for me to read my own posts
because I don't normally open the window to show 78 characters.

It's a bit mysterious. I can't remember all the details
of the 76-character tradition. I think it's only for transport,
to support older email programs. I see your post contains
soft line returns, marked with =. That wraps fine for me.
Julie Bove's latest post is using wrap (71, 76, or some such)
and like you, I see hers chopped up because I don't set the
window that wide. So it's probably better to have no auto-wrap
set as long as you don't enter returns. (I'm a poor typist and
like to set my own returns, which is why I use such short lines.)