Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing evaporative/swamp cooler motor

My cooler motor is about 6' above the ground - need a small ladder to get
at it. It's quite heavy. I'm 79.

There are some very ingenious people here.

How can I do this alone? If I hire someone it costs more for labor than
the notor.

Maybe something I could put very close to the installed motor and the
ladder at about 6' so that I can place the old motor on it and remove the
new motor for installation without trying to carry it up and down a
ladder and juggle it to remove and install.

I think the flat steps on a second step ladder would be too narrow to
hold a motor securely.

I suspect a hoist of some kind is not practical.

Any ideas?

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

"KenK" wrote in message
My cooler motor is about 6' above the ground - need a small ladder to get
at it. It's quite heavy. I'm 79.

There are some very ingenious people here.

How can I do this alone? If I hire someone it costs more for labor than
the notor.

it is often the case these days that labor is more expensive than parts.

Maybe something I could put very close to the installed motor and the
ladder at about 6' so that I can place the old motor on it and remove the
new motor for installation without trying to carry it up and down a
ladder and juggle it to remove and install.

I think the flat steps on a second step ladder would be too narrow to
hold a motor securely.

I suspect a hoist of some kind is not practical.

Any ideas?

A nice neighborhood kid would be an easy solution. All he would have to do
is the manpower, and then let you take over from there.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 08/09/2014 11:54 AM, KenK wrote:
My cooler motor is about 6' above the ground - need a small ladder to get
at it. It's quite heavy. I'm 79.

There are some very ingenious people here.

How can I do this alone? If I hire someone it costs more for labor than
the notor.

Maybe something I could put very close to the installed motor and the
ladder at about 6' so that I can place the old motor on it and remove the
new motor for installation without trying to carry it up and down a
ladder and juggle it to remove and install.

I think the flat steps on a second step ladder would be too narrow to
hold a motor securely.

I suspect a hoist of some kind is not practical.

The neighbor kid (or variation on a theme from it) is definitely a good
idea.

No idea what the actual arrangement is, I've managed to do quite a lot
by myself with no more than a comealong and some ingenuity on how to rig
it...whether you've got any suitable framework at all or not I have no
way to know as the intro says, of course. It the outer is taller, it
might even be possible to use a regular ladder against it as the anchor
point while you stay on the smaller, for example. But, I still like the
"let a younger dude handle this" idea...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9 Aug 2014 16:54:28 GMT, KenK wrote:

My cooler motor is about 6' above the ground - need a small ladder to get
at it. It's quite heavy. I'm 79.

There are some very ingenious people here.

How can I do this alone? If I hire someone it costs more for labor than
the notor.

Maybe something I could put very close to the installed motor and the
ladder at about 6' so that I can place the old motor on it and remove the
new motor for installation without trying to carry it up and down a
ladder and juggle it to remove and install.

I think the flat steps on a second step ladder would be too narrow to
hold a motor securely.

I suspect a hoist of some kind is not practical.

Any ideas?

TIA

Don't know. If the motor is bad, I'D likely just toss it on the
ground once removed. Put the new one on the ladder ready to be
installed?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/9/2014 12:54 PM, KenK wrote:
My cooler motor is about 6' above the ground - need a small ladder to get
at it. It's quite heavy. I'm 79.

There are some very ingenious people here.

How can I do this alone? If I hire someone it costs more for labor than
the notor.

Maybe something I could put very close to the installed motor and the
ladder at about 6' so that I can place the old motor on it and remove the
new motor for installation without trying to carry it up and down a
ladder and juggle it to remove and install.

I think the flat steps on a second step ladder would be too narrow to
hold a motor securely.

I suspect a hoist of some kind is not practical.

Any ideas?

TIA

Call the Mormon missionaries. Ask them to come over
on Monday, which is P-day. Ask them not to wear
their pros. Mention the word "service hours" and
praise them in their youth and honesty and strength.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 09 Aug 2014 16:22:01 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

Call the Mormon missionaries. Ask them to come over
on Monday, which is P-day. Ask them not to wear
their pros. Mention the word "service hours" and
praise them in their youth and honesty and strength.

I don't know what P-day is. OP could also contact the local Boy Scout
troop - those earning Merit Badges.

Many communities also have elderly assistance programs. OP could check
into that, too.

At age 79, and the risk of falling, breaking a hip is not worth the
risk - IMHO.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Call the Mormon missionaries. Ask them to come over
on Monday, which is P-day. Ask them not to wear
their pros. Mention the word "service hours" and
praise them in their youth and honesty and strength.

I don't know what P-day is. OP could also contact the local Boy Scout
troop - those earning Merit Badges.

Many communities also have elderly assistance programs. OP could check
into that, too.

At age 79, and the risk of falling, breaking a hip is not worth the
risk - IMHO.

Monday is "Preparaton day" for LDS missionaries.
The day to wear casual clothes, go shopping,
take laundry to the wash, and other etc.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Call the Mormon missionaries. Ask them to come over

on Monday, which is P-day. Ask them not to wear

their pros. Mention the word "service hours" and

praise them in their youth and honesty and strength.

I don't know what P-day is. OP could also contact the local Boy Scout

troop - those earning Merit Badges.

Many communities also have elderly assistance programs. OP could check

into that, too.

At age 79, and the risk of falling, breaking a hip is not worth the

risk - IMHO.

That's what I was thinking too. It's not the cost of labor vs the cost
of the motor. It's that if you fall, it could be life threatening. I'm
also wondering if he hasn't taken it out yet, how he knows how heavy it
is? IDK what size motor it is, but even a 1hp one isn't really that
heavy. Also, don't know how it's mounted, but I would think that it's
more than just getting it up there. The harder part is likely the juggling,
lifting, etc to get the old one out, the new one in.
IDK if a neighborhood kid is the best solution for that. Maybe a local
handyman type?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 11 Aug 2014 08:14:44 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

At age 79, and the risk of falling, breaking a hip is not worth the

risk - IMHO.

That's what I was thinking too. It's not the cost of labor vs the cost
of the motor. It's that if you fall, it could be life threatening. I'm
also wondering if he hasn't taken it out yet, how he knows how heavy it
is? IDK what size motor it is, but even a 1hp one isn't really that
heavy. Also, don't know how it's mounted, but I would think that it's
more than just getting it up there. The harder part is likely the juggling,
lifting, etc to get the old one out, the new one in.
IDK if a neighborhood kid is the best solution for that. Maybe a local
handyman type?

Typical swamp cooler side view:

https://tinyurl.com/mgs5ncw

I've all but given up on climbing ladders. Don't have the confidence I
used to and I'm younger that the OP. A friend lost his confidence when
working, where he stepped flexed just a little under foot. A former
governor here left public life, doing DIY on his roof and fell off.
IIRC he broke a hip. Short time later he was dead.
Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 wrote:

The harder part is likely the juggling,
lifting, etc to get the old one out, the new one in.

The hardest part will be breaking the old rusted mounting bolts. Throwing a 10
pound motor off the roof is easy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, August 11, 2014 2:44:13 PM UTC-5, Arthur Conan Doyle wrote:
trader_4 wrote:

The harder part is likely the juggling,

lifting, etc to get the old one out, the new one in.

The hardest part will be breaking the old rusted mounting bolts. Throwing a 10

pound motor off the roof is easy.

The weight would be around 25lb. Slightly awkward!