Posted to alt.home.repair

Default security for double doors

I'm looking for something to secure a set of double doors on the front
of the house. The door is rarely used and never opened from the
outside.

The doors have the regular door handle lock plus a little bar/bolt
that slides across. But the bar mechanism has two screws in each door
and don't seem any more secure than a chain. It looks like one good
kick would knock the screws out.

The doors are solid wood. I looked on HD and Lowes looking for a bar
that would go across both doors, but didn't find anything. I did find
the type you usually see in hotel rooms - that looks like it would be
somewhat better than the current bar, but is there something better,
that doesn't cost too much?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Judson McCranie" wrote in message

I'm looking for something to secure a set of double doors on the front
of the house. The door is rarely used and never opened from the
outside.

The doors have the regular door handle lock plus a little bar/bolt
that slides across. But the bar mechanism has two screws in each door
and don't seem any more secure than a chain. It looks like one good
kick would knock the screws out.

The doors are solid wood. I looked on HD and Lowes looking for a bar
that would go across both doors, but didn't find anything. I did find
the type you usually see in hotel rooms - that looks like it would be
somewhat better than the current bar, but is there something better,
that doesn't cost too much?

Would flush side bolts like those commonly used in French doors help? They
are recessed into the inside edge of the passive door at the top and
bottom. They look like this...
http://www.handlesets.com/deltana-7f...h-bolt/p577669

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/5/2014 5:45 AM, dadiOH wrote:
"Judson McCranie" wrote in message

I'm looking for something to secure a set of double doors on the front
of the house. The door is rarely used and never opened from the
outside.

Would flush side bolts like those commonly used in French doors help?
They are recessed into the inside edge of the passive door at the top
and bottom. They look like this...
http://www.handlesets.com/deltana-7f...h-bolt/p577669

I was thinking the old Segal style lock,
maybe one high and one low.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 05 Aug 2014 08:34:24 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 8/5/2014 5:45 AM, dadiOH wrote:
"Judson McCranie" wrote in message

I'm looking for something to secure a set of double doors on the front
of the house. The door is rarely used and never opened from the
outside.

Would flush side bolts like those commonly used in French doors help?
They are recessed into the inside edge of the passive door at the top
and bottom. They look like this...
http://www.handlesets.com/deltana-7f...h-bolt/p577669

I was thinking the old Segal style lock,
maybe one high and one low.

I couldn't see the first one well enough. I don't know what a Segal
one is like. The one that is there now is pretty much like this one
http://www.homedepot.com/p/National-...T-SB/204380087

but it doesn't use the strike plate. It doesn't seem secure enough.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/6/2014 4:23 PM, Jan Philips wrote:
On Tue, 05 Aug 2014 08:34:24 -0400, Stormin Mormon
I was thinking the old Segal style lock,
maybe one high and one low.

I couldn't see the first one well enough. I don't know what a Segal
one is like.

Old guy, I think named James Segal. Noted that when
people break in the door, they never break the hinge
side. So, he made a lock that resembles a hinge:

http://ogtstore.com/images/products/m216003.jpg

Still sold at most locksmith wholesalers, though
different brands and usually much cheaper. Soem good
ones still there.

http://www.popscreen.com/p/MTMyNjkyN...Cylinder-Lock-

I may have a really old one, some where. Who knows?

--
..
Christopher A. Young