Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Painting concrete?

I just had repair the landing of my patio steps. That left the bottom 2 as is, they did not need repair. After the job was done and we had some big rain storms, I noticed the new concrete sort of whitish and the bottom 2 looked old and gray. I would like to finish those steps to look like the new repair job..any recommendations?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, July 25, 2014 9:19:16 AM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
I just had repair the landing of my patio steps. That left the bottom 2 as is, they did not need repair. After the job was done and we had some big rain storms, I noticed the new concrete sort of whitish and the bottom 2 looked old and gray. I would like to finish those steps to look like the new repair job..any recommendations?

First I'd powerwash the old ones to clean them up and see what
color they are then. They might be close enough and with time they
will likely get closer. If that isn't good enough, I guess you can look
for a concrete paint where they can do a custom color and match the color
of the new concrete by taking a sample to the store.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" wrote in message

I just had repair the landing of my patio steps. That left the bottom 2
as is, they did not need repair. After the job was done and we had some
big rain storms, I noticed the new concrete sort of whitish and the
bottom 2 looked old and gray. I would like to finish those steps to look
like the new repair job..any recommendations?

Let the new sit for at least a month - longer is better - and paint all,
old and new.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank writes:

I just had repair the landing of my patio steps. That left the bottom
2 as is, they did not need repair. After the job was done and we had
some big rain storms, I noticed the new concrete sort of whitish and
the bottom 2 looked old and gray. I would like to finish those steps
to look like the new repair job..any recommendations?

Start with power washer.
Great for cleaning concrete.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/25/2014 9:19 AM, Frank wrote:
I just had repair the landing of my patio steps. That left the bottom 2 as is, they did not need repair. After the job was done and we had some big rain storms, I noticed the new concrete sort of whitish and the bottom 2 looked old and gray. I would like to finish those steps to look like the new repair job..any recommendations?

Be very careful about painting. It can make the steps very slippery so
you will need to use sand or some paint that is non-slip. Once painted,
they will need paint every few years too.

Clean the old steps first. Power wash with a strong detergent or use
muriatic acid. Then wait a year so the new step can catch up with the
old and you may not have to do anything.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 07/25/2014 9:33 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Be very careful about painting. It can make the steps very slippery so
you will need to use sand or some paint that is non-slip. Once painted,
they will need paint every few years too.

+22 Create a monster from here on if choose to...

... wait a year ...and you['ll need] ... not ... do anything.

+222

IOW, "just chill..." It'll fix itself in due time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb writes:

On 07/25/2014 9:33 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Be very careful about painting. It can make the steps very slippery so
you will need to use sand or some paint that is non-slip. Once painted,
they will need paint every few years too.

+22 Create a monster from here on if choose to...

... wait a year ...and you['ll need] ... not ... do anything.

+222

IOW, "just chill..." It'll fix itself in due time.

Agree completely.
The power washer should get the 2 parts very close in color
if not 100% match. Any remaining difference will cure itself
pretty quickly.

An electric power washer is sufficient.

Paint is a really bad idea unless you really have
nothing to do and like dealing with peeling paint.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 10:33:31 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Be very careful about painting. It can make the steps very slippery so
you will need to use sand or some paint that is non-slip. Once painted,
they will need paint every few years too.

Epoxy floor coatings do the same, slippery when wet (garages), etc. OP
could add the epoxy non-slip approach, small paint chips applied when
wet -cured. They can be purchased separate from epoxy (small bags) or
paint. When embedded, they serve the same purpose - no slip.

Concrete Path - Painting ????? please help Mia UK diy 3 March 8th 13 09:37 PM
Painting concrete slab gcotterl Home Repair 5 December 27th 10 07:44 PM
Painting Concrete Walls [email protected] Woodworking 12 January 17th 07 07:38 PM
Painting Concrete Brian Reay UK diy 2 June 2nd 06 04:21 PM
Painting concrete. GO BLUZ Home Repair 5 January 22nd 05 03:43 PM