Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Claw Foot Tub

I bought a 100+ year old house. It has a Claw Foot tub, which I will
retain. Unfortunatley it has a a few Rust stains, from the drain
chain, near the drain etc.

I have tried many items, to remove those rust stains - Ajax, Gel
Gloss, Soft Scrub.

Can anyone recommend a way, that I can remove the rust stains?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 08 Jul 2014 12:25:08 -0400, Dave C wrote:

I bought a 100+ year old house. It has a Claw Foot tub, which I will
retain. Unfortunatley it has a a few Rust stains, from the drain
chain, near the drain etc.

I have tried many items, to remove those rust stains - Ajax, Gel
Gloss, Soft Scrub.

Can anyone recommend a way, that I can remove the rust stains?

CLR comes to mind. Or, perhaps a very fine grit wet / dry sand paper ~
2000 grit?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 8, 2014 12:33:36 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 08 Jul 2014 12:25:08 -0400, Dave C wrote:

I bought a 100+ year old house. It has a Claw Foot tub, which I will

retain. Unfortunatley it has a a few Rust stains, from the drain

chain, near the drain etc.

I have tried many items, to remove those rust stains - Ajax, Gel

Gloss, Soft Scrub.

Can anyone recommend a way, that I can remove the rust stains?

CLR comes to mind.

+1
or a similar rust remover product, which can be found in the plumbing
and/or cleaning supply sections of hardware store, HD, etc.

2000 grit?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 08 Jul 2014 12:25:08 -0400, Dave C wrote:

I bought a 100+ year old house. It has a Claw Foot tub, which I will
retain. Unfortunatley it has a a few Rust stains, from the drain
chain, near the drain etc.

I have tried many items, to remove those rust stains - Ajax, Gel
Gloss, Soft Scrub.

Can anyone recommend a way, that I can remove the rust stains?

CLR or Phosphoric acid come to mind.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dave C wrote:
I bought a 100+ year old house. It has a Claw Foot tub, which I will
retain. Unfortunatley it has a a few Rust stains, from the drain
chain, near the drain etc.

I have tried many items, to remove those rust stains - Ajax, Gel
Gloss, Soft Scrub.

Can anyone recommend a way, that I can remove the rust stains?

You might try plain old white vinegar.

Here are the before and after shots of my daughter's 2002 Gallant. All I
used was vinegar and a green scrubby. I know the rust stains will come
back, but I needed to drive the car for a few days while she used my van
and it's much less embarrassing in the "after" condition.

Befo

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/q...psa24c3eaf.jpg

After:

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps5acba4a2.jpg

On the road and across the parking lot, it looks fine. Well, finer. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dave C" wrote in message
news
I bought a 100+ year old house. It has a Claw Foot tub, which I will
retain. Unfortunatley it has a a few Rust stains, from the drain
chain, near the drain etc.

I have tried many items, to remove those rust stains - Ajax, Gel
Gloss, Soft Scrub.

Can anyone recommend a way, that I can remove the rust stains?

On a tip I used Barkeeper's Friend to remove rust from around a sink drain
and it worked fine. It's a powder sold beside Comet cleanser and Bon-Ami.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 8 Jul 2014 21:19:33 -0500, "KB"
wrote:

"Dave C" wrote in message
news
I bought a 100+ year old house. It has a Claw Foot tub, which I will
retain. Unfortunatley it has a a few Rust stains, from the drain
chain, near the drain etc.

I have tried many items, to remove those rust stains - Ajax, Gel
Gloss, Soft Scrub.

Can anyone recommend a way, that I can remove the rust stains?

On a tip I used Barkeeper's Friend to remove rust from around a sink drain
and it worked fine. It's a powder sold beside Comet cleanser and Bon-Ami.

Thanks, for all of the propmpt/ excellent advice. I am sure I will
find a solution, from your many suggestions.

As a clarification, the rust stain t hat I want to remove was soley
due to a now failing chain. The tub's interior, is most acceptable (it
is 100+ years old). I now need to find an internet source, for a
replacement overflow cover, chain and drain assembly. Hopefully those
replacements will not likewise rust.

MANY Thanks -dave

I will try the various suggestions, noen of which I had previously
tried.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 09 Jul 2014 11:25:18 -0400, Dave C wrote:

On Tue, 8 Jul 2014 21:19:33 -0500, "KB"
wrote:

"Dave C" wrote in message
news
[...]

I just thought of another option, I've seen used on rust in cast iron
skillets. Cut a lemon / lime in half, pour salt on the rust and rub
vigorously with the acidic lemon /lime.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
On Wed, 09 Jul 2014 11:25:18 -0400, Dave C wrote:

On Tue, 8 Jul 2014 21:19:33 -0500, "KB"
wrote:

"Dave C" wrote in message
news I bought a 100+ year old house. It has a Claw Foot tub, which I will
[...]

Cool video about using molasses to clean rusty rims...with a really cool
song by the Bently Boys at the end. Yes, that's Bently, not Bentley.

The rims:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vq5IUiYMhRM

The song:

http://grooveshark.com/#!/search/Down%20on%20penny's%20farm
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Dave C" wrote in message
[...]

Sorry...bad link to song. Try this one...

http://grooveshark.com/#!/s/Down+On+...rm/44AGo?srx=5

If that doesn't work, just go to grooveshark.com and search for Bently Boys
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Dave C" wrote in message
[...]

Per your suggestions I purchased/ tried CRL and Bartender's Friend.
For my specific application, the Bartender's Friend was far superior
!! Our 100 + year old tub looks like it was professionally refinished,
at near Zero cost.

Thanks, to all whom provided the above info.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Dave C" wrote in message
[...]

Dave,

Thank you for the update.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Dave C" wrote in message
[...]

Oren,

I sure appreciated your advice, as well as the many others whom
offered their suggestions!

I am (more importanntly the MRS) is MOST happy with our NEW Claw Foot
Tub.

THX