Posted to alt.home.repair

Default claw foot tub drain plumbing question

Hello, just joined this excellent group.

I have a small older (1926) rental house with a rough but functional
basement. The basement floor is concrete. There is a circular drain
in the floor in the existing 1/2 bathroom, located about 2' away from
the basement wall, and from the main vertical waste line for the whole
house which is located up against that wall. I'm pretty certain that
this floor drain is connected to the main waste line under the
concrete via a sanitary tee or similar fitting (there are no issues at
all with odor or anything, at any rate).

We want to install a claw foot tub in this bathroom; fits nicely in
the available space, no tile work to hassle with, etc., so seems like
a pretty good way to go in this old basement.

My question is this: is it sensible, legal, practical to basically
modify this floor drain's hardware and plumb the tub's drain pipe to
this floor drain? It's entirely possible to position the tub such
that its drain pipe is perfectly centered on the existing floor drain,
no problem. I had one guy come by to have a look at it, and he had
some fuzzy but concerning comments about how he thought some concrete
jack-hammering and cutting and such would be necessary...oh man! I
don't understand why it would necessarily need to be that heavily
modified...

I'd note that there is at least one other floor drain in the basement
(maybe a couple), so I'm not necessarily all that averse to "losing"
this one floor drain in the bathroom. Or, I could envision a "custom"
piece of hardware that both permitted tub draining, and floor
draining, simultaneously. I've got a home machine shop and can make
such things, if they're functional and sensible...

Thanks much for your time thinking about this deal!
Charley Hale
Lafayette CO
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 20:29:18 -0700 (PDT), chale4
wrote:

[...]

The only time I placed a claw foot tub in a basement; it required a
platform, The only way to get a pitch for the plumbing drain.

2X10 and luan. Fit perfect under the basement window.... Just a step
up into the tub.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

up into the tub.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks. I can see why you'd potentially want to do that platform to
provide vertical space for a tub p-trap, right? I very much want to
avoid that here unfortunately, as this basement is already pretty low
ceiling, without the tub being on an even higher level than the
floor...

Above I said I thought my non-odorous floor drain in the concrete
floor must be connect to the main waste line via a sanitary tee, but
that's no good, it must rather have a p-trap down in the concrete,
right? A sanitary tee is shaped correctly to drain on into a vertical
waste line no problem, but wouldn't have any gas-sealing effect like a
p-trap, would it. And so, it would seem to me that my floor drain
does in fact have a p-trap below the floor. That seems like a very
good thing, in that, seems to me like, I can effectively treat that
floor drain p-trap as my new TUB p-trap, and just go ahead and "custom-
plumb" my tub's drain output straight-away into that floor drain.
Does anyone see anything amiss here? Thanks--Charley Hale
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Yes, the floor drain likely has a cast-in P-trap and the tub
drain can simply empty into the floor drain.

The city inspector would probably turn his nose up at this
"indirect waste" arrangemnet, but if you're not too concerned,
go for it. :-)

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Jim- Hide quoted text -

Thanks, Jim, I think I will in fact proceed with this. I just
installed my p-trap forty years before the actual tub, you see... : )
--Charley