Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Best way to clean unfinished wood cabinet interior?

The interior of the wooden cabinet under my kitchen sink has gotten
pretty dirty; stained too. The interior is unfinished plywood, I think.

What's the best way to clean the inside and perhaps remove some of the
stains as well?

--
Steven L.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Jun 2014 11:43:28 -0400, "Steven L."
wrote:

The interior of the wooden cabinet under my kitchen sink has gotten
pretty dirty; stained too. The interior is unfinished plywood, I think.

....sure it isn't particle board? (Photo w/link back here)

What's the best way to clean the inside and perhaps remove some of the
stains as well?

Are the stains from water? Particle board will swell and chip away.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The interior of the wooden cabinet under my kitchen sink has gotten
pretty dirty; stained too. The interior is unfinished plywood, I think.

...sure it isn't particle board? (Photo w/link back here)

What's the best way to clean the inside and perhaps remove some of the
stains as well?

Are the stains from water? Particle board will swell and chip away.

btw, contact shelf liner is an option to cover the ugliness ...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Con-Tact-Creative-Covering-18-in-x-75-ft-Light-Pine-Multipurpose-Shelf-Liner-1-Roll-75F-C9T55-01/202499922?N=5yc1vZc3xh

Or

https://tinyurl.com/mu446oo
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve,

Under sink cabinets get wet and dirty. Unfinished isn't a good idea. Try
200 grit sandpaper to deal with the stains. Then stain the wood if you want.
Apply several coats of some sort of finish. I'd use satin polyurethane.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steven L." wrote:
The interior of the wooden cabinet under my kitchen sink has gotten
pretty dirty; stained too. The interior is unfinished plywood, I think.

What's the best way to clean the inside and perhaps remove some of the stains as well?

What kind of dirt ?

I have removed stains with oxiclean solution. Apply, let dry, repeat until
desired effect is obtained.

Greg.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Jun 2014 08:43:28 -0700, Steven L.
wrote:

The interior of the wooden cabinet under my kitchen sink has gotten
pretty dirty; stained too. The interior is unfinished plywood, I think.

What's the best way to clean the inside and perhaps remove some of the
stains as well?

Not fair, you put in two questions here!

Please say you're going to ultimately seal/finish the wood later.

But one at a time.
Here was my solution to cleaning dusty unfinished panel that had a small
'drip' stain.

first keep as dry as possible use NO wet cleaners. remove all 'dirty' type
dust. Dust can't penetrate. So a 220, 330, or even 440 sanding helps knock
that dust off. Use a paint tac rag to clean off after light sanding.

Now you have a clean surface but a stain spot. Any water base is going to
raise the grain, so must be careful here. I have successfully 'spread' the
spot by cleaning and gently continuing it out until not noticeable. But is
tricky and requires a bit of learned skill. As in learn how as you do with
no way to go back and undo.

If this is down inside, out of view; screw it! Simply clean and seal and
be done.