Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Determining "system" voltage for lighted doorbell button

On Monday, August 2, 1999 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Victor Levy wrote:
I'd like to replace our lousy old doorbell button with a nice new lighted
one, but before I drill a 5/16" hole in my door jamb I want to know if my
system will light the button. The lighted buttons in the home store say
they work in 10- to 16-volt doorbell systems. How do I determine the
voltage of my doorbell system? (With the system on and working, a voltmeter
across the doorbell button wires reads 0.03V.)

Many thanks for any response,

Victor Levy
South Bend, Indiana, USA
- Remove capital letters for correct address

As the lead electronic PCB designer of the recently introduced line of LED illuminated doorbell door chimes and lighted "touch" doorbell buttons for Craftmade International's Teiber Lighting division, I agree with everyone's assessments that your doorbell transformer is indeed a 16VAC transformer. Readings will show in excess of 16V (like 20V) when not under a load (chime coil or lighted push-button in the circuit) and read with a common low-range AC voltmeter. Therefore, any standard (Lowe's or Home Depot) lighted doorbell button or chime will work very well with your present transformer. Before you run out and buy a new piece of "ordinary" lighted doorbell hardware, you might want to take a look at these new for 2014, designer-inspired LED lighted door chimes and LED "touch" doorbell buttons at
http://www.illuminated-doorbell.com. The super-bright LEDs will last for decades. Enjoy! Don Ladanyi