Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Determining "system" voltage for lighted doorbell button

On Monday, August 2, 1999 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Victor Levy wrote:
I'd like to replace our lousy old doorbell button with a nice new lighted
one, but before I drill a 5/16" hole in my door jamb I want to know if my
system will light the button. The lighted buttons in the home store say
they work in 10- to 16-volt doorbell systems. How do I determine the
voltage of my doorbell system? (With the system on and working, a voltmeter
across the doorbell button wires reads 0.03V.)

Many thanks for any response,

Victor Levy
South Bend, Indiana, USA
- Remove capital letters for correct address

As the lead electronic PCB designer of the newly introduced line of LED illuminated doorbell door chimes and lighted "touch" buttons for Craftmade International's Teiber Lighting division, I agree with everyone's assessments that your doorbell transformer is indeed a 16VAC transformer that will show in excess of 16V (like 20V) when unloaded and read with an AC voltmeter. Therefore, any standard (Lowe's or Home Depot) lighted doobell button or chime will work with very well your present transformer. Before you run out and buy a new piece of doorbell hardware, you might want to take a look at these new, innovative designer-inspired LED lighted door chimes and LED "touch" doorbell buttons at
http://www.illuminated-doobell.com. Enjoy! Don Ladanyi
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

The doobel link is foiled.

Those are some complicated switches.

Engineer should Learn usenet.

http://www.illuminated-doorbell.com/...struction.html

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

The voltage across the doorbell button might be AC. The DC measurement of an AC voltage is very small. Use a volt meter which autimatcly detects DC or AC like a T5-1000.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, May 16, 2015 at 12:23:28 PM UTC-5, wrote:
The voltage across the doorbell button might be AC. The DC measurement of an AC voltage is very small. Use a volt meter which autimatcly detects DC or AC like a T5-1000.

The fellow wanting information died 10 years ago. The home was demolished 2 years ago. The house was damaged when a group of squatters partied like it was 1999. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/16/2015 1:55 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Saturday, May 16, 2015 at 12:23:28 PM UTC-5, wrote:
The voltage across the doorbell button might be

AC. The DC measurement of an AC voltage is very
small. Use a volt meter which autimatcly detects
DC or AC like a T5-1000.

The fellow wanting information died 10 years ago. The

home was demolished 2 years ago. The house was damaged
when a group of squatters partied like it was 1999. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Monster

Oh, yeah! I remember this thread from 2004.

BTW, use AC scale on volt meter, reads AC or DC.
-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 May 2015 16:42:08 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 5/16/2015 1:55 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Saturday, May 16, 2015 at 12:23:28 PM UTC-5, wrote:
The voltage across the doorbell button might be

AC. The DC measurement of an AC voltage is very
small. Use a volt meter which autimatcly detects
DC or AC like a T5-1000.

The fellow wanting information died 10 years ago. The

home was demolished 2 years ago. The house was damaged
when a group of squatters partied like it was 1999. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Monster

Oh, yeah! I remember this thread from 2004.

BTW, use AC scale on volt meter, reads AC or DC.
-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

Sure won't read DC voltages anywhere close to accurately on AC scale.
A 1.5 volt "D" cell reads 1.47 DC and 2.4 on the AC scale.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That's because the sine wave is stuck. You must whack the battery sharply against a hard surface to get the sine wave unstuck. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Alternating Monster