Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Best Way To Install Screens

On Saturday, July 3, 2004 11:43:21 AM UTC-4, Decij wrote:
I have an enclosed porch with a lot of screens that need to be
replaced. I started with the screen door using a charcoal aluminum screen and
it was very time consuming and difficult. (I do have the round tool that you
use to force the rubber spline into the canal (?) where it secures the screen.)
I was wondering whether fiberglas screen is easier to install than aluminum
screen and whether anyone would have any other tips as to how to install the
screens. When I installed the aluminum screen on the door it was slow going
because the it was hard to pinch the spline against the screen and because if
the roller came off the spline, you would ruin the screen. Any tips on how to
do this work more effectively would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

JD

not a pro but I believe that the metal screens are more for stapling in then triming with a strip of wood to secure and hide.Nylon screens are more for spline.
Senior Member

I agree with Tony on this one. Installing screens is like anything else. It's like playing the piano, playing chess or playing tennis, the more you do the better you get at it.

You will find that fiberglass screen mesh is very much easier to cut. And, if you're new at this, buy more screen material that you need so that you always have enough to cover the screen you're doing. If you only buy enough to have 1 inch extra on each side, you can easily get yourself into a situation where there isn't enough screen to cover the hole. Go with a good 6 inches extra all the way around. You may waste a bit more screen mesh, but you won't have to redo any screens.

You will notice that the tool used to press the spline in has two rollers; one with a concave edge and one with a convex edge. You use the concave roller to simply push the spline into the slot. Then you use the convex roller to compress the spline in the slot so that it holds the screen firmly. Your rollers should roll in the groove for the spline without slipping out easily. If your rollers are going out of the groove for the spline, you're either doing something wrong, or you're using the wrong material. I would take one of your screens down to any window repair shop and ask them to tell you what you're doing wrong. Re-screening is one of the easiest DIY tasks, and if you're having trouble with it, you need an experienced eye to see what you're doing and identify the problem.

where do you get replacement lcd screens Pinballer Electronics Repair 5 April 1st 07 12:15 AM
E BAy - Shower Screens John UK diy 1 September 2nd 06 03:38 PM
Window screens Jo Ann Home Repair 0 June 24th 06 08:23 PM
dressing screens dirt dibbler UK diy 4 April 20th 05 01:12 PM
Cleaning screens Jack Zeal Electronics Repair 7 February 10th 05 03:39 AM