Posted to alt.home.repair

Default LED Bulb Recommendation

Hi,

As mentioned in a previous post, we will replace some of the 85 halogen
bulbs (50W) in our house with LEDs. Despite all those bulbs the house is
seriously underlit. The standard 50W equivalent LEDs (4W) will not
likely cut it. We want to go to higher wattage or higher efficiency
bulbs. Electricity is very expensive here (Costa Rica) so the extra cost
of higher wattage or high efficiency bulbs will pay off. The bulbs will
need to survive the frequent power surges and the daily lightening storms.

Can some suggest some brands and specific bulbs that my wife can bring
back from the U.S.?

Thanks,
Gary
Posted to alt.home.repair

Gary wrote:
Hi,

As mentioned in a previous post, we will replace some of the 85 halogen
bulbs (50W) in our house with LEDs. Despite all those bulbs the house is
seriously underlit. The standard 50W equivalent LEDs (4W) will not
likely cut it. We want to go to higher wattage or higher efficiency
bulbs. Electricity is very expensive here (Costa Rica) so the extra cost
of higher wattage or high efficiency bulbs will pay off. The bulbs will
need to survive the frequent power surges and the daily lightening storms.

Can some suggest some brands and specific bulbs that my wife can bring
back from the U.S.?

Thanks,
Gary

Hi,
We have some 60W rated Phillips LED day light bulbs. This bulbs replaced
5 x 75W flood lamps in our kitchen counter top area. If electricity is
expensive(I pay 7.9 cents per KWh) for long term, considered PV solar
panel arrays?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Gary wrote:
Hi,

As mentioned in a previous post, we will replace some of the 85 halogen
bulbs (50W) in our house with LEDs. Despite all those bulbs the house is
seriously underlit. The standard 50W equivalent LEDs (4W) will not
likely cut it. We want to go to higher wattage or higher efficiency
bulbs. Electricity is very expensive here (Costa Rica) so the extra cost
of higher wattage or high efficiency bulbs will pay off. The bulbs will
need to survive the frequent power surges and the daily lightening storms.

Can some suggest some brands and specific bulbs that my wife can bring back from the U.S.?

Thanks,
Gary

Deja vu

You have 4200 watts of lamps. Outrageous. I would add new circuits. A room
does not have to be lit up, only the area you need to see. What kind of
socket ?

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/25/2014 10:21 PM, Gary wrote:
Hi,

As mentioned in a previous post, we will replace some of the 85 halogen
bulbs (50W) in our house with LEDs. Despite all those bulbs the house is
seriously underlit. The standard 50W equivalent LEDs (4W) will not
likely cut it. We want to go to higher wattage or higher efficiency
bulbs. Electricity is very expensive here (Costa Rica) so the extra cost
of higher wattage or high efficiency bulbs will pay off. The bulbs will
need to survive the frequent power surges and the daily lightening storms.

I think you'd do well to install surge protectors.
I live in an electrically quiet neighborhood.
Had a bunch of CFL's fail over the years. As far as I can tell,
it's always the electronics that goes. Bulb is fine.
Same problem is gonna happen with LED.

That must be some huge house.
I light mine with three, count 'em three, 3W LED lights that run 24/7.
Turn on 13W where I am if I need to read something in small print.

Can some suggest some brands and specific bulbs that my wife can bring
back from the U.S.?

Thanks,
Gary

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, June 26, 2014 5:45:16 AM UTC-4, mike wrote:
On 6/25/2014 10:21 PM, Gary wrote:

Hi,

As mentioned in a previous post, we will replace some of the 85 halogen

bulbs (50W) in our house with LEDs. Despite all those bulbs the house is

seriously underlit. The standard 50W equivalent LEDs (4W) will not

likely cut it. We want to go to higher wattage or higher efficiency

bulbs. Electricity is very expensive here (Costa Rica) so the extra cost

of higher wattage or high efficiency bulbs will pay off. The bulbs will

need to survive the frequent power surges and the daily lightening storms.

I think you'd do well to install surge protectors.

Since lightning is a concern and he has all those LED
lights, I'd put a good whole house surge protector on
the panel.

I live in an electrically quiet neighborhood.

Had a bunch of CFL's fail over the years. As far as I can tell,

it's always the electronics that goes. Bulb is fine.

Same problem is gonna happen with LED.

That must be some huge house.

I light mine with three, count 'em three, 3W LED lights that run 24/7.

Turn on 13W where I am if I need to read something in small print.

Instead of adding more lights, how about just upping
the 50W equivalent ones? I've had recessed lights in several
homes over the years. I've always used bigger than 50W, typically
90W. And I have most of them, the ones in the most used areas,
on dimmers. So, while I may have 4 x 90W in a room, it's only
turned up as much as needed and can be changed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 26 Jun 2014 06:40:08 -0500, G. Morgan
wrote:

gregz wrote:

Gary wrote:
Hi,

As mentioned in a previous post, we will replace some of the 85 halogen
bulbs (50W) in our house with LEDs. Despite all those bulbs the house is
seriously underlit. The standard 50W equivalent LEDs (4W) will not
likely cut it. We want to go to higher wattage or higher efficiency
bulbs. Electricity is very expensive here (Costa Rica) so the extra cost
of higher wattage or high efficiency bulbs will pay off. The bulbs will
need to survive the frequent power surges and the daily lightening storms.

Can some suggest some brands and specific bulbs that my wife can bring back from the U.S.?

Thanks,
Gary

Deja vu

You have 4200 watts of lamps.

4250, but who's counting? g

Outrageous.

Indeed. How the hell would anyone need 85 lamps? I guess it's not too
"out there" if you consider a ceiling fan has 4-5 lamps. Each bathroom
probably has 4-8 lamps above the sinks. I just counted the bulbs in the
room I'm in now and there are 11 bulbs, eight of them are for two ceiling
fans.

I would add new circuits. A room
does not have to be lit up, only the area you need to see.

Does not need new circuits if he's going with LED's for replacements.

What kind of
socket ?

Good question, likely many types for multiple fixtures.

He said 85 50 watt Halogen fixtures. My bet is they are aither GU10
or MR16. I have replaced a couple hundred of them with (12 volt)
chinese LEDs purchaced off e-bay with mixed results. It seams certain
bulbs are failing on a fairly accellerated basis - could be
transformer related or heat related. Putting in ceiling fans - might
help.

Also 8 in my home office (120 volt I had a high failure rate -
switched to COB style instead of 3 and 4 LED Crees. So far so good.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/26/2014 1:21 AM, Gary wrote:
Hi,

As mentioned in a previous post, we will replace some of the 85 halogen
bulbs (50W) in our house with LEDs. Despite all those bulbs the house is
seriously underlit. The standard 50W equivalent LEDs (4W) will not
likely cut it. We want to go to higher wattage or higher efficiency
bulbs. Electricity is very expensive here (Costa Rica) so the extra cost
of higher wattage or high efficiency bulbs will pay off. The bulbs will
need to survive the frequent power surges and the daily lightening storms.

Can some suggest some brands and specific bulbs that my wife can bring
back from the U.S.?

Thanks,
Gary

the only LED bulbs I got, were off Ebay, and disappointing.
The 2 watt bulb I use as a night light, in the bathroom.
The five watt "corn cob" light wasn't bright enough to
really be useful, gave it away to a friend who uses
it as a light over his computer. Whatever you buy, please
buy one to test, before you get several.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/26/2014 7:40 AM, G. Morgan wrote:
gregz wrote:

Gary wrote:
[...]

Guy that built my house tried to screw me on that one. He used the most
expensive bulbs available at the time and did not fill the fixtures but
tried to bill me as if he had.

For op, I would go to cfl's as leds are still expensive. In replacing
60 watt incandescents I use the 75 watt equivalent to get more light
still using one third the power.

Avoid cfl's that don't give light at a similar spectra to incandescents
and some brands are noisier than others.

Posted to alt.home.repair

gregz wrote:
Gary wrote:
[...]

4200W is still not enough OP says. He said seriously underlit. Maybe he
lives in a 10,000 sq. ft mansion?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 26 Jun 2014 17:52:02 -0600, Tony Hwang wrote:

4200W is still not enough OP says. He said seriously underlit. Maybe he
lives in a 10,000 sq. ft mansion?

My guess is he has high ceilings (common in hot climates, so the hot air
can rise) and these are high hats. Hence little light is left by the time
it gets down to the floor. That is why I like pendant lighting.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 26 Jun 2014 19:43:21 -0400, Frank
wrote:

Avoid cfl's that don't give light at a similar spectra to incandescents

Use what you like, avoid what you don't like. I like daylight and one
thing I love about CFLs is that I can get daylight spectrum. If you
like the yellow light of incandescents, you can get that too.

Personal choice.

Edward