Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Type of wire to air conditioner disconnect

I'm helping install a mini-split AC. The manual says I need 10 gauge wire to an outdoor disconnect switch. I've two questions:

1. What does the NEC say about the min height of the disconnect switch when mounted to the wall outside? I know I need 3ft clearance in front of it, but not sure about minimum height.

2. I haven't decided which to run (MC or NM cable) from my main panel to the outdoor disconnect switch, but regardless, when it gets outside of my house, what does the NEC say about how the cable should be run? I assume in metal or plastic conduit? Any other allowable alternatives?

All advice, and NEC references, appreciated.
Thanks
Theodore

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, June 10, 2014 3:22:18 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I'm helping install a mini-split AC. The manual says I need 10 gauge wire to an outdoor disconnect switch. I've two questions:

1. What does the NEC say about the min height of the disconnect switch when mounted to the wall outside? I know I need 3ft clearance in front of it, but not sure about minimum height.

2. I haven't decided which to run (MC or NM cable) from my main panel to the outdoor disconnect switch, but regardless, when it gets outside of my house, what does the NEC say about how the cable should be run? I assume in metal or plastic conduit? Any other allowable alternatives?

All advice, and NEC references, appreciated.

Thanks

Theodore

The disconnect needs to be within reach. Commonly a level similar to the top of the unit but just to one side.

What alternative did you want? The plastic conduit pigtails are available with wire in them from the big box stores ready to hookup. That's the simplest.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, June 10, 2014 3:49:51 PM UTC-4, jamesgang wrote:
[...]

Agree. IDK any specific height reqt. I would put it at a convenient
height. In many cases the height is dictated by where it's convenient
for the wire to comes out
from a basement, crawlspace, etc. Typical it's Romex from panel, through
the rim joist to the disconnect. Then liquidtight from the disconnect to
the condensor. At my house that results in the disconnect being about
18" off the ground and it passed. Could have made it higher, but then
it wouldn't be a straight shot through from the basement. As JG says,
you can buy the whips in a couple std lengths, with wires in them already
at a price that's typically less than buying the conduit, wire, fittings separately.
Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Hi,
I got every thing I need from HD. I mounted the switch at about 30" up
from the ground. For me that was convenient height.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 10 Jun 2014 18:00:16 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Mine is mounted right on the AC unit

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

trader_4 wrote:
[...]

I remove shroud of condenser coil to clean. Coil is totally exposed.
With it mounted on the unit, that will be inconvenient when time to
clean the coil???
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 10 Jun 2014 22:22:52 -0600, Tony Hwang

wrote:

trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Not on mine - the shroud comes off in peices, with the cover for the
connections staying on 'till the end. If I need to disconnect the
power to the disconnect there is a pull-out in the panel in the
garage.