Posted to alt.home.repair

Default home energy audit in summer. Worth it?

Hi,
I've qualified for a New York State-approved home energy audit and I can pick any number of certified energy consultants (https://nyserda.energysavvy.com/contractors/)

I'm thinking about the blower door test and infrared camera that the contractor will probably use.

Is it worth it to perform this energy audit now, in late May? or should I wait until November/December so I can get a significant temperature difference between inside and outside. I'm not in a rush. I'm just wondering if anyone has had this audit, or used this equipment in summer and whether it made sense to do in the summer.

Thanks
Theodore.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 May 2014 13:47:24 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Hi,
I've qualified for a New York State-approved home energy audit and I can pick any number of certified energy consultants (
https://nyserda.energysavvy.com/contractors/)

I'm thinking about the blower door test and infrared camera that the contractor will probably use.

Is it worth it to perform this energy audit now, in late May? or should I wait until November/December so I can get a significant temperature difference between inside and outside. I'm not in a rush. I'm just wondering if anyone has had this audit, or used this equipment in summer and whether it made sense to do in the summer.

Thanks
Theodore.

Much of these tests can be done by you. Anytime, and things can be
fixed easily. One at a time. Examine your home and find leaks in
energy, etc.

The "blower door test and infrared camera" will mostly say what needs
to be fixed, that you can find on your own. YMMV
Posted to alt.home.repair

Much of these tests can be done by you. Anytime, and things can be
fixed easily. One at a time. Examine your home and find leaks in
energy, etc.

Yes, I agree, but given that I qualified for a free energy audit, I figure it can't hurt to get an outside opinion. That said, my question is that I'm not sure I should do it now, or wait till winter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 May 2014 13:47:24 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Hi,
I've qualified for a New York State-approved home energy audit and I can pick any number of certified energy consultants (
https://nyserda.energysavvy.com/contractors/)

I'm thinking about the blower door test and infrared camera that the contractor will probably use.

Is it worth it to perform this energy audit now, in late May? or should I wait until November/December so I can get a significant temperature difference between inside and outside. I'm not in a rush. I'm just wondering if anyone has had this audit, or used this equipment in summer and whether it made sense to do in the summer.

Thanks
Theodore.

When we had ours done (here in Ontario Canada) they used the blower
door, but no thermal imageing camera. Had it done late summer/early
fall IIRC.

Posted to alt.home.repair

What do the auditors suggest?
Yes, but auditors are salesmen, and any salesman would suggest to make a purchase _now_. I'd like to get some opinions before I ask them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/24/2014 4:47 PM, wrote:
Hi,
I've qualified for a New York State-approved home energy audit and I can pick any number of certified energy consultants (
https://nyserda.energysavvy.com/contractors/)

I'm thinking about the blower door test and infrared camera that the contractor will probably use.

Is it worth it to perform this energy audit now, in late May? or should I wait until November/December so I can get a significant temperature difference between inside and outside. I'm not in a rush. I'm just wondering if anyone has had this audit, or used this equipment in summer and whether it made sense to do in the summer.

Thanks
Theodore.

Time of season is irrelevant. Regardless of the temperature, the blower
door test will determine air leaks. The thermal camera can distinguish
whether you're losing heat or cold.

I had it done and learned much about my attic, rim joists and a few
window areas. Then I had foam insulation blown on the underside of the
roof deck and rim joists, which were the most leaky areas and installed
a new furnace and central air with a 98% efficiency rating. The auditor
does a follow up after the work to determine the difference. We improved
drastically as he rated our house in the top 4% of efficiency after the
work was complete which helped us receive a bigger rebate. Overall, we
received rebates totally close to $4000.

The difference here is you get it for free whereas we paid for ours. I
suggest you take advantage of it and learn the ins and outs of your
home's weak spots. Don't wait. Have it done asap. You can improve the
home before the cold weather hits again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

(
[...]

BTW, pick an independent auditor. They don't work for any specific
company and thus, no sales pitches.

Energy Audit HeyBub[_3_] Home Repair 11 June 19th 13 10:30 AM
Has anyone here paid for an energy audit? Is it worth it? Joe Home Repair 8 January 1st 08 10:20 PM
D-I-Y home energy audit using IR camera [email protected] Home Repair 13 February 2nd 07 04:59 PM
D-I-Y home energy audit using IR camera [email protected] Home Ownership 7 February 2nd 07 04:59 PM
Home energy audit Keith D UK diy 1 August 15th 06 08:07 PM