Posted to alt.home.repair

Default old attic insulation question

Hi,
My attic has 2x6 joists. The (ancient) fiberglass insulation between the joists appears to be matted down to about 2" thick.

Do I rip it out and replace with 6" thick batts and add more above that?
Or do I leave it, add 4" batts, and add more above that?

All opinions appreciated.
Regards,
Theodore.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 May 2014 22:26:53 -0700, "Bob F"

Hi,
My attic has 2x6 joists. The (ancient) fiberglass insulation between
the joists appears to be matted down to about 2" thick.

Do I rip it out and replace with 6" thick batts and add more above
that?
Or do I leave it, add 4" batts, and add more above that?

All opinions appreciated.

I have no idea where you are, but up north, thay are using a lot more than 6"
these days. I filled the joist space, then did another thick layer over that
(R30??).

He DID say he was going to add more above.
Matted down insulation has poor insulation value. I'd remove the old
first - and be tempted to have a spray insulation applied (about 2
inches) to act also as a vapour barrier and then fill with blown
insulation above that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, May 17, 2014 11:13:59 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Fri, 16 May 2014 22:26:53 -0700, "Bob F"

Hi,

My attic has 2x6 joists. The (ancient) fiberglass insulation between

the joists appears to be matted down to about 2" thick.

Do I rip it out and replace with 6" thick batts and add more above

that?

Or do I leave it, add 4" batts, and add more above that?

All opinions appreciated.

I have no idea where you are, but up north, thay are using a lot more than 6"

these days. I filled the joist space, then did another thick layer over that

(R30??).

He DID say he was going to add more above.

I missed that. I guess enough insulation to fill it up
to the level of the top of the joists, then loose cellulose
gives the best energy solution. I wonder what the energy difference
is if you use just thick batts? There would be some gaps
between them, ie between joists, which would cut down the
performance. Topping it with blown-in would be better from
that standpoint. Only thing about blown-in I don't like is
that if you have to do some work, eg find an electric, phone,
CATV etc cable, it's going to be a pain in the ass. But I
guess you don't have to do that very often.

Matted down insulation has poor insulation value. I'd remove the old

first - and be tempted to have a spray insulation applied (about 2

inches) to act also as a vapour barrier and then fill with blown

insulation above that.

Sounds like unnecessary complication to me. I agree if it's matted,
it has low R value, but so what? It's still greater than zero, and
if you put what you intend to put on top of it, you have the new plus
whatever is existing. A little more insulation and you avoid the
work and disposal, etc of ripping the old stuff out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 wrote:
[...]

My question is how come it matted down? Moisture problem one time or
another? I want to make sure about this. Is there vapor barrier under
neath?
If all is good, I'd just add more insulation by any means. Here it is
R60 in the attic.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/17/2014 11:04 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:
trader_4 wrote:
[...]

If it's like my attic it's dust piled up over the decades. I think, when
I finally get the funds together, I'm going to have old insulation left
in place with cellulose blown over it. With vaulted ceiling it's
probably the best solution. Back in '83, when they built my house, they
used some kind of rock wool insulation. Seems to work okay, but I'm sure
it's not anywhere near present standards.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi.
House is in lower New York State.
Existing batts have been matted down over their apparent 60+year life in the attic.
I find fiberglass batts much easier to deal with than blown cellulose, so I'll stick with them.
I guess I'll leave the existing and just place more on top!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, May 16, 2014 11:33:48 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Hi, My attic has 2x6 joists. The (ancient) fiberglass insulation between the joists appears to be matted down to about 2" thick. Do I rip it out and replace with 6" thick batts and add more above that? Or do I leave it, add 4" batts, and add more above that? All opinions appreciated. Regards, Theodore.

Any bats added above the joists should be placed at right angles to the direction of the original bats to ensure there are no accidental "chimneys".

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 17 May 2014 10:04:11 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

trader_4 wrote:
[...]

There SHOULD be vapour barrier under it, but you can almost guarantee
it is not uninterupted if it IS there - which is why I would seriously
consider removing what is there and having a thin coat of spray foal
installed before filling it with cellulose or fiberglass.
Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Roxul is still about the best insulation you can buy - it does not
absorb water, it does not support mold, or mice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

trader_4 wrote:

[...]

Let's say it has the typical vapor barrier similar houses would have.
What is going to happen that is so bad, from just adding more insulation?
If this house isn't experiencing any problems related to moisture passing
through the vapor barrier that is there, what's the compelling need to
rip out the existing insulation and do spray foam?

The house I'm living in, I'm sure the vapor barrier isn't perfect.
It isn't perfect in new construction either. But I'm not seeing
any problems from it. And if the OP doesn't have problems, I'm
not seeing the necessity of the rip out and spraying in foam.
Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 wrote:
[...]

That's nice to know. I have vaulted ceiling in well over 50% of my house
and access to some areas of the attic requires a contortionist.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:
Hi,
My question is how come it matted down? Moisture problem one time or
another? I want to make sure about this. Is there vapor barrier under
neath?
If all is good, I'd just add more insulation by any means. Here it is
R60 in the attic.

My guess would be that it started as no more than R-11 insulation, so it really
didn't matt down all that much.

Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 wrote:
Let's say it has the typical vapor barrier similar houses would have.
What is going to happen that is so bad, from just adding more
insulation? If this house isn't experiencing any problems related to
moisture passing through the vapor barrier that is there, what's the
compelling need to rip out the existing insulation and do spray foam?

The house I'm living in, I'm sure the vapor barrier isn't perfect.
It isn't perfect in new construction either. But I'm not seeing
any problems from it. And if the OP doesn't have problems, I'm
not seeing the necessity of the rip out and spraying in foam.

If it doesn't have a vapor barrier, that could cause it to matt down. It would
at least be worth pulling up a bit of the old insullation and checking for a
good vapor barrier.