Posted to alt.home.repair

Default For the fool praising Fedora (and other versions of unix/linux)

Todd writes:

On 05/13/2014 12:20 PM, philo wrote:
On 05/12/2014 08:51 AM, HomeGuy wrote:
Buster Hymen wrote:

Friends don't let friends use Windows!

http://fedoraproject.org/

The truth about Fedora (and the increasingly uncountable versions of
unix / linux out there these days) is that they are for geeks, not the
average computer user.

There is no version of those OS's that are shrink-wrapped and
one-button-installable by the average home or soho desktop or laptop
user that is in any way a coherent and ergonomic replacement for
windoze. And not just the OS, but all the personal and business apps
that go along with it.

For better or worse, it's about time you fools realized that.

I've been using Linux since the year 2000 and about 5 or 6 years ago
switched over to it as my full time OS.

It is not hard to use, but it certainly is not for everyone.

For anyone who wishes to try is I do not advise Fedora.

One of the Debian derivatives such as Ubuntu or Mint is probably the
best route

You should probably have someone set up what ever you
pick.

I keep mentioning Fedora, as it is the best security wise.
Take a look at this, which only appears in Red Hat (Fedora,
etc.):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security-Enhanced_Linux

Just try and hack a program written for it!

And Fedora is backed by Red Hat, who are extremely professional.
They have fixed bug after bug for me and in a timely manner too.
One years ago that wiped out my hard drive every time I
tried to cut a DVD. That was fun!

Also, Fedora is extremely easy to upgrade to new versions.
(None of this wipe and reinstall stuff like Windows XP
to W7+. Or Frankenstein [w8] back to W7.)

Seven steps to upgrade to Fedora 20. Takes about one to
two hours depending on your computer and Internet speed.
And, TOTALLY uneventful. EVERYTHING works when completed.

# rpmkeys --import /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-20-x86_64
# yum clean all
# yum update (there is a problem with repos and GPG keys, if you don't)

# yum clean all
# yum update fedora-release
# yum update fedup (or "install")
# fedup --network 20

Hmm, I don't remember having to do all that.
Used to be just run that pre-upgrade GUI.
I remember FC20 was different, I thought I just ran fedup.

I've gone from 4 to I think 17 before I ran into some kind
of issue and did a clean install. The upgrade without
re-install is a neat feature.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, May 13, 2014 2:31:04 PM UTC-4, Todd wrote:
On 05/13/2014 04:42 AM, HomeGuy wrote:

But when it comes to linux used as web-servers, I hear that nothing

beats a hacked or trojanized apache server. It's been the choice of

hackers for years to serve up fake and malicious websites.

Hi Home Dude,

This is Microsoft's marketing department spreading

garbage. They had to take every UNIX like platform

that (the same version of) Apache runs on and multiply

them together. Something like 17 of them. So

they skewed the data by a multiple of about 17.

They are nothing if not inventive lyings pigs.

Apache is Open Source, has peer review, and

almost instantly fixes its vulnerabilities.

With Microsoft, it is years to never. Remember

the Blaster virus? A vulnerability knows for

years before someone wrote a virus for it.

Then they fixed it in a couple of months.

By the way, I like your "security through

obscurity". The bad guys really are after

"low hanging fruit", meaning W7+. Their

laziness is to your benefit.

Another insight into HomeLessGuy's world. He's still running
Win98. Like you say, those out to screw the world aren't going to
waste their time on an OS that few still use. He doesn't have to
worry about antivirus software, or even most software out today period,
because typical stuff folks use, isnt' going to run on Win98.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default For the Stellar Dude praising Fedora

Todd writes:

Buster Hymen wrote:

[...]

Hi Dan,

I have had to do clean installs before too.

"FedUp" is a new project, long time in coming.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedUp

They are working on a Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) version
of it too. Should be out the same time Red Hat releases
RHEL 7.

This is the kind of response you get from a customer
driven project, instead of one driven by a bunch of
lying, cheating marketing weasels. (No offense to
weasels.)

Hi Todd,

Also no built-in complexity designed solely to defeat
duplication.

I've been waiting for something like ksplice:

https://www.ksplice.com/

to become part of common use. (Update the kernel without
a reboot.) Sounds really cool.

--
Dan Espen