Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Shower Door Repair

I would like to reverse the hinge on a pivoting shower door. [The glass is
textured on one side and I'd like to keep that on the outside. This
requires that I move the hinge and not just flip the door.] The door is an
unframed panel of tempered glass with one side inserted into a metal channel
with the pivots. The glass is held tight with thin rubber strips. In past
experience the glass worked out of the rubber strips easily. This one,
although the rubber is fresh and pliable, is stuck tight. I ran a razor
plade under the rubber as far as I could. Gentle tapping with a rubber
mallet did not work.
Any suggestions to avoid breaking the glass?
Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/2/2014 10:25 PM, John Keiser wrote:
I would like to reverse the hinge on a pivoting shower door. [The glass is
textured on one side and I'd like to keep that on the outside. This
requires that I move the hinge and not just flip the door.] The door is an
unframed panel of tempered glass with one side inserted into a metal channel
with the pivots. The glass is held tight with thin rubber strips. In past
experience the glass worked out of the rubber strips easily. This one,
although the rubber is fresh and pliable, is stuck tight. I ran a razor
plade under the rubber as far as I could. Gentle tapping with a rubber
mallet did not work.
Any suggestions to avoid breaking the glass?
Thanks.

I've never taken a shower door apart, but I am familiar with the type.
Even though the rubber is fresh, it may be sticking to the glass
surface. I wonder if a bit of heat would make a difference? Maybe run
a hair dryer along the channel.

I also have to wonder if the original installer use some silicone
sealant in the channel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On closer inspection:
The tempered glass fits into a "u" shaped vinyl glazing strip that has rib
on each side. The glass and glazing then fit into the "u" shaped metal
channel which forms the piano hinge. I can see that the interior of the "u"
shaped metal channel also has ribs. The metal ribs must lock the vinyl
ribs. This seems like a clever way to get a very tight fit. Maybe intended
to be irreversible? Razor blade is defeated so far. Ideas?

"John Keiser" wrote in message
news:4vqdncFRzqxfzvnOnZ2dnUVZ_qidnZ2d@powerusenet. com...
I would like to reverse the hinge on a pivoting shower door. [The glass is
textured on one side and I'd like to keep that on the outside. This
requires that I move the hinge and not just flip the door.] The door is an
unframed panel of tempered glass with one side inserted into a metal
channel with the pivots. The glass is held tight with thin rubber strips.
In past experience the glass worked out of the rubber strips easily. This
one, although the rubber is fresh and pliable, is stuck tight. I ran a
razor plade under the rubber as far as I could. Gentle tapping with a
rubber mallet did not work.
Any suggestions to avoid breaking the glass?
Thanks.

Shower door stop repair Charles Bishop[_2_] Home Repair 7 April 28th 09 12:28 AM
Shower door UK DIY UK diy 1 March 3rd 07 07:35 PM
New Shower Door a12vman Home Repair 2 October 2nd 06 07:07 PM
Shower Door dk Home Repair 3 December 4th 05 04:38 AM
Shower Door Corinne Home Repair 2 April 24th 04 03:08 PM