Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sectional garage door cables

Hi,
Yesterday one of the springs broke due to rusting at the bottom loop.
Managed to replace it but came to think about using a stainless steel
cable instead of galvanized one. Is there any reason we can't use
stainless steel cable? Any one knows? Garage door expert out there?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 18 Apr 2014 20:16:06 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Hi,
Yesterday one of the springs broke due to rusting at the bottom loop.
Managed to replace it but came to think about using a stainless steel
cable instead of galvanized one. Is there any reason we can't use
stainless steel cable? Any one knows? Garage door expert out there?

Not an expert, but what about using a larger diameter galv. cable? Can
you buy SS cables for a GD?
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Hwang View Post
Hi,
Yesterday one of the springs broke due to rusting at the bottom loop.
Managed to replace it but came to think about using a stainless steel
cable instead of galvanized one. Is there any reason we can't use
stainless steel cable? Any one knows? Garage door expert out there?
I expect the reason for using ordinary galvanized steel cables is that in MOST instances, those cables don't rust out. They don't want to install stainless steel cables on every garage door they make if it's rare to see one rust out. It's more economic for the customer that finds his cables rusting to replace them with stainless steel cables than it is for the company to use stainless steel cables on every door they make when only a small percentage of the galvanized cables will ever need to be replaced.

Also, stainless steel is much harder than ordinary steel, and so it's much more expensive to fabricate it. This is the primary reason why kitchen sinks will either be made of a relatively soft stainless steel or come with a price tag that gives you sticker shock.

Stamping a piece of sheet metal into as radical a shape as a kitchen sink requires that you either use a soft metal or that you do everything you can to prevent the metal from cracking during the stamping process, and that means heating the steel to soften it, and stamping it with a layer of lubricant above and below the metal to minimize friction. If you want a kitchen sink made of a HARD and THICK stainless steel, prepare to pay 500+ dollars for it.

Last edited by nestork : April 19th 14 at 04:28 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hi,
Yesterday one of the springs broke due to rusting at the bottom loop.
Managed to replace it but came to think about using a stainless steel
cable instead of galvanized one. Is there any reason we can't use
stainless steel cable? Any one knows? Garage door expert out there?

Not an expert, but what about using a larger diameter galv. cable? Can
you buy SS cables for a GD?

Hi,
Now 3/16" cables are fitted. Usually they are 1/8". eBay shows 1/8"
stainless cables with 350 load limit which is more than enough.
I could not find ready made stainless cables vs. gal. ones. So
I was wondering about it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

nestork wrote:

Tony Hwang;3224621 Wrote:
[...]

Makes sense. Any how I ordered 20' of 7/16 strand of SS cable at 0.99
per foot, little more than twice the price of galv. steel cable. Next
time spring or cable breaks, I am ready. Replacing pair of
springs/cables took almost a day for a newbie but finished without any
problems. Good thing, today(Good Friday) it is snowing again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hi,
Yesterday one of the springs broke due to rusting at the bottom loop.
Managed to replace it but came to think about using a stainless steel
cable instead of galvanized one. Is there any reason we can't use
stainless steel cable? Any one knows? Garage door expert out there?

Not an expert, but what about using a larger diameter galv. cable? Can
you buy SS cables for a GD?

Or spray yearly with WD-40, which everyone
knows is a lubricant.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, April 18, 2014 11:21:36 PM UTC-4, nestork wrote:
Tony Hwang;3224621 Wrote:

[...]

+1

I've never seen a cable fail here due to rust or anything else,
in many decades of experience. I did have an extension spring go a few
years ago. The doors didn't have safety cables, so I upgraded that
to avoid getting hit in the head one day. If regular cables are
an issue, it's likely only on some doors. Any obvious issues with OP's
door that's causing the rusting?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hi,
Yesterday one of the springs broke due to rusting at the bottom loop.
Managed to replace it but came to think about using a stainless steel
cable instead of galvanized one. Is there any reason we can't use
stainless steel cable? Any one knows? Garage door expert out there?

Not an expert, but what about using a larger diameter galv. cable? Can
you buy SS cables for a GD?

Or spray yearly with WD-40, which everyone
knows is a lubricant.

Hi,
And clean/ruin every thing? Dry up the roller bearings and on..., LOL.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 19 Apr 2014 06:11:17 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

Any obvious issues with OP's
door that's causing the rusting?

I also wondered about that. If the galv. is compromised by abrasion or
such, they could rust. It happens in gavl. fencing.

Page middle:

http://www.mechanicsupport.com/galvanize.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Any obvious issues with OP's
door that's causing the rusting?

I also wondered about that. If the galv. is compromised by abrasion or
such, they could rust. It happens in gavl. fencing.

Page middle:

http://www.mechanicsupport.com/galvanize.html

Hi,
I suspect it goes way beck when original wood sectional door was
installled when house was built. Tha light wood panel door did not
seal or provide good insulation. After 20 years cable snaped. Now
door is steel craft foam core insulated and weather stripping is
reinfoprced when door got replaced. Rust or not 20 years is good
time for the cable to last. I swapped out both bottom brackets as
well today for PM to have peace of mind. Having enough tools make
the job little easier 3 vice grip pliers, winding bars I made,etc.