Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Sectional garage door cables

On Friday, April 18, 2014 11:21:36 PM UTC-4, nestork wrote:
Tony Hwang;3224621 Wrote:

Hi,

Yesterday one of the springs broke due to rusting at the bottom loop.

Managed to replace it but came to think about using a stainless steel

cable instead of galvanized one. Is there any reason we can't use

stainless steel cable? Any one knows? Garage door expert out there?

I expect the reason for using ordinary galvanized steel cables is that

in MOST instances, those cables don't rust out. They don't want to

install stainless steel cables on every garage door they make if it's

rare to see one rust out. It's more economic for the customer that

finds his cables rusting to replace them with stainless steel cables

than it is for the company to use stainless steel cables on every door

they make when only a small percentage of the galvanized cables will

ever need to be replaced.

Also, stainless steel is much harder than ordinary steel, and so it's

much more expensive to fabricate it. This is the primary reason why

kitchen sinks will either be made of a relatively soft stainless steel

or come with a price tag that gives you sticker shock.

Stamping a piece of sheet metal into as radical a shape as a kitchen

sink requires that you either use a soft metal or that you do everything

you can to prevent the metal from cracking during the stamping process,

and that means heating the steel to soften it, and stamping it with a

layer of lubricant above and below the metal to minimize friction. If

you want a kitchen sink made of a HARD and THICK stainless steel,

prepare to pay 500+ dollars for it.

+1

I've never seen a cable fail here due to rust or anything else,
in many decades of experience. I did have an extension spring go a few
years ago. The doors didn't have safety cables, so I upgraded that
to avoid getting hit in the head one day. If regular cables are
an issue, it's likely only on some doors. Any obvious issues with OP's
door that's causing the rusting?