Posted to alt.home.repair

Default No hot water

Hello,

I have a 7 year old gas hot water heater and no hot water. I hear water
constantly running in it and the catch basin is full and water is
constatnly running out the overflow tube. Does anyone know whats wrong?
I turned off the watter supply incase the catch basin overflows.

thanks for any help
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/04/2014 03:38 PM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

I have a 7 year old gas hot water heater and no hot water. I hear water
constantly running in it and the catch basin is full and water is
constatnly running out the overflow tube. Does anyone know whats wrong?
I turned off the watter supply incase the catch basin overflows.

thanks for any help

It's clogged.

Does your water have a lot of minerals in it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, April 4, 2014 4:41:34 PM UTC-4, philo* wrote:
On 04/04/2014 03:38 PM, Bob wrote:

Hello,

I have a 7 year old gas hot water heater and no hot water. I hear water

constantly running in it and the catch basin is full and water is

constatnly running out the overflow tube. Does anyone know whats wrong?

I turned off the watter supply incase the catch basin overflows.

thanks for any help

It's clogged.

Does your water have a lot of minerals in it?

I say the problem is a troll.
Posted to alt.home.repair

philo wrote:
On 04/04/2014 03:38 PM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

I have a 7 year old gas hot water heater and no hot water. I hear
water constantly running in it and the catch basin is full and water
is constatnly running out the overflow tube. Does anyone know
whats wrong? I turned off the watter supply incase the catch basin
overflows. thanks for any help

It's clogged.

Does your water have a lot of minerals in it?

Sounds like the tank is leaking to me , since the "catch basin" is full .
Burner may very well be underwater ...
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04 Apr 2014 20:38:43 GMT, Bob wrote:

Hello,

I have a 7 year old gas hot water heater and no hot water. I hear water
constantly running in it and the catch basin is full and water is
constatnly running out the overflow tube. Does anyone know whats wrong?
I turned off the watter supply incase the catch basin overflows.

thanks for any help

Water heater problems will only be answered on April 31st for people
posting from San Diego, CA.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
On 04 Apr 2014 20:38:43 GMT, Bob wrote:

Hello,

I have a 7 year old gas hot water heater and no hot water. I hear
water constantly running in it and the catch basin is full and water
is constatnly running out the overflow tube. Does anyone know
whats wrong? I turned off the watter supply incase the catch basin
overflows.

thanks for any help

Water heater problems will only be answered on April 31st for people
posting from San Diego, CA.

I'll put that on my calendar. I had an appointment on February 30 that I
missed because I forgot to write it on my calendar.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/4/2014 3:56 PM, Oren wrote:

thanks for any help

Water heater problems will only be answered on April 31st for people
posting from San Diego, CA.

You know, I just read that in the FAQ.
Thanks for the reminder.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob[_60_] View Post
Hello,

I have a 7 year old gas hot water heater and no hot water. I hear water
constantly running in it and the catch basin is full and water is
constatnly running out the overflow tube. Does anyone know whats wrong?
I turned off the watter supply incase the catch basin overflows.

thanks for any help
Bob:

What "overflow pipe" are you talking about? The pipe at the side of the water heater is a pressure and temperature relief valve. If water is constantly running out of there, then the problem is that the water pressure inside the tank is too high.

Unless the water heater is leaking, then there should be no reason why the catch basin is any higher than normal. That catch basin is connected to the "weeping tiles" around the base of your house's basement walls. Excess ground water is collected by the weeping tiles and directed to the catch basin. There is a p-trap at the bottom of the catch basin, and the pipe coming off the p-trap goes to either the main sewer drain line from your house or a special storm sewer line buried under the middle of the street your house is on.

It's possible that the water supply pipe to your house is broken and the water is finding it's way into the catch basin through your weeping tiles, but it's more likely that the snow around your house is now melting, and the catch basin is full of melt water from the weeping tiles.

Check that your pilot light is on and that your burner racks fire up when you turn the thermostat on the water heater up. If there's a pilot light and the thermostat is working, then my guess would be that you have a broken dip tube.

You see, cold water enters the water heater at the top, but there's a dip tube inside the water heater that directs that water to the bottom of the heater. That way, the denser cold water can push the lighter hot water up like a piston to ensure you get all the hot water out of it when you turn on a hot water faucet. If that dip tube is broken, then cold water enters the tank near the top of the water heater, and immediately cools the hot water going out of the heater so that all you get is luke warm water at best.

This picture shows the dip tube in a typical gas fired water heater, but my understanding is that it should terminate much closer to the bottom of the tank, not half way up the tank as depicted in this drawing.

http://0.tqn.com/w/experts/Plumbing-...dip-tube_2.jpg

If the dip tube is broken, cold water from the cold water inlet pipe simply runs directly to the hot water outlet pipe in the heater, and all you get is luke warm water, at best.

I'd phone any plumber and ask them to come out to check if it's a broken dip tube. One of the things they'll do is drain some water out of the tank. If that drain water is HOT, but the water coming out of your hot faucets isn't as hot, then it's a broken dip tube.