Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 17 - 41 decision to make

Today (Feb 28, 2013) high of about 17.
Had some snow last night.

Tomorrow high 41.

I borrowed a roof rake last night. Should
I scrape the snow off parents house roof?

We've had ice dams the last time.

Or, will the 41 melt it all off?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Today (Feb 28, 2013) high of about 17.
Had some snow last night.

Tomorrow high 41.

I borrowed a roof rake last night. Should
I scrape the snow off parents house roof?

We've had ice dams the last time.

Or, will the 41 melt it all off?

The ice dams are a result of run off refreezing. Unless you think
that the 41 will take care of ALL of it, I would still rake.
--
³Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive,
but what they conceal is vital.²
Posted to alt.home.repair

Christopher A. Young wrote:

Had some snow last night.

Tomorrow high 41.

I borrowed a roof rake last night. Should
I scrape the snow off parents house roof?

We've had ice dams the last time.

Or, will the 41 melt it all off?

What a sissy.

You had *some* snow?

What - is snow so rare for you?

41 degrees?

It's been months since I've seen anything higher than 35 degrees. It
was -7(f) early this morning. A friggin record low for this date.

You want to know when you get ice dams?

You get ice dams when you've got at least a foot of snow on the roof all
the way to the eves, on a shallow-pitched roof, the outside temp doesn't
go above freezing but also doesn't go below 25, and the outside temp
stays between 25 and 32 for at least 2 or 3 days.

If you don't have icicles forming from your gutters, then you don't yet
have conditions for ice daming on the roof.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/28/2014 10:28 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
We've had ice dams the last time.

Or, will the 41 melt it all off?

The ice dams are a result of run off refreezing. Unless you think
that the 41 will take care of ALL of it, I would still rake.

That's the problem, I just don't know. And the
next weather is saturday over night 18, and
Sunday high 21. Which makes for a lot of
refreezing.

Guess I'll call Mom on the phone, see if they
got snow, see if she wants me to try out the
borrowed roof rake.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Today (Feb 28, 2013) high of about 17.
Had some snow last night.

Tomorrow high 41.

I borrowed a roof rake last night. Should
I scrape the snow off parents house roof?

We've had ice dams the last time.

Or, will the 41 melt it all off?

The direct answer is "We don't know if 41 will melt it all since we don't
know how much is "some snow", we don't know if the roof will get full sun,
we don't know if there was already snow on the roof, etc."

The easy answer is "Go say hi to mom, bring her some flowers (Wegmans,
right?) and while she's putting them in a vase, test the snow rake so
you'll be ready in case you really need it. Clearing the snow certainly
can't hurt."

I have an overhang above the driveway and front stoop. I haven't seen any
icicles since the roof was replaced and soffit vents were put in, but I
clear the snow off just in case. The front steps and driveway right in
front of the garage door is the worse place to have icicles dripping and
then refreezing.

One thing to be aware of: if it's a substantial amount of snow, it is going
to pack down pretty firm when it hits the ground. Even the fluffy stuff
becomes hard pack when it drops in bulk from a height. If you then need to
clear the area, like I do, a snow blower will come in real handy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, February 28, 2014 3:03:16 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Today (Feb 28, 2013) high of about 17.

Had some snow last night.

Tomorrow high 41.

I borrowed a roof rake last night. Should

I scrape the snow off parents house roof?

We've had ice dams the last time.

Or, will the 41 melt it all off?

The direct answer is "We don't know if 41 will melt it all since we don't

know how much is "some snow", we don't know if the roof will get full sun,

we don't know if there was already snow on the roof, etc."

Gee, you really think that matters?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 28 Feb 2014 12:22:54 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

The direct answer is "We don't know if 41 will melt it all since we don't

know how much is "some snow", we don't know if the roof will get full sun,

we don't know if there was already snow on the roof, etc."

Gee, you really think that matters?

_Seasonal affective disorder_ (SAD) has now changed.

"...The U.S. National Library of Medicine notes that "some people
experience a serious mood change when the seasons change. They may
sleep too much, have little energy, and may also feel depressed.
Though symptoms can be severe, they usually clear up."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasonal_affective_disorder

I've only heard of it as Cabin (trailer) fever
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/28/2014 10:28 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
We've had ice dams the last time.

Or, will the 41 melt it all off?

The ice dams are a result of run off refreezing. Unless you think
that the 41 will take care of ALL of it, I would still rake.

I called. Inch or two of snow, no big deal.
I'll keep in contact, and see when is the
next snow.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/28/2014 9:16 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Today (Feb 28, 2013) high of about 17. Had some snow last night.

Tomorrow high 41.

I borrowed a roof rake last night. Should I scrape the snow off
parents house roof?

We've had ice dams the last time.

Or, will the 41 melt it all off?

At 3:30am Monday I heard Santa land on the roof, at least that's what it
sounded like. Several tree limbs as big around as my leg landed on the
roof during a windy rain storm. I think our über-cold weather is over
with here in Alabamastan. The kid from across the street who helps us on
jobs came over, got up on the roof and cleared all the limbs and debris
off the roof. A few years ago, a tree blew over, landed on the roof and
a 6" diameter limb punched through the roof and all the way through the
living room ceiling half way to the floor. You guys have snow and ice on
the roof, we have high winds and trees tearing up our roofs. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

At 3:30am Monday I heard Santa land on the roof, at least that's what it
sounded like. Several tree limbs as big around as my leg landed on the
roof during a windy rain storm. I think our über-cold weather is over
with here in Alabamastan. The kid from across the street who helps us on
jobs came over, got up on the roof and cleared all the limbs and debris
off the roof. A few years ago, a tree blew over, landed on the roof and
a 6" diameter limb punched through the roof and all the way through the
living room ceiling half way to the floor. You guys have snow and ice on
the roof, we have high winds and trees tearing up our roofs. ^_^

TDD

I'm fortunate none has come through the roof, so
far. I did have a branch come down, and needed a
tree guy to dice it up and set it out to the curb.
Fortunately the park office has someone for that

Some months ago, a tree did smash the main bedroom
of a trailer on my street, and the people were not
able to live there for a while. It does happen in
PRNY, but not as often.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/28/2014 9:16 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Today (Feb 28, 2013) high of about 17.
Had some snow last night.

Tomorrow high 41.

I borrowed a roof rake last night. Should
I scrape the snow off parents house roof?

We've had ice dams the last time.

Or, will the 41 melt it all off?

Considering the type of winter we've had, I think it would be prudent
to do it. I doubt there's going to be enough warm weather to clear it,
and given this winter's whimsies, there's a good chance of at least
one or two more good snowstorms before the final thaw. Best to remove
what you can now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/5/2014 9:22 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
On 2/28/2014 9:16 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Considering the type of winter we've had, I think it would be prudent to
do it. I doubt there's going to be enough warm weather to clear it, and
given this winter's whimsies, there's a good chance of at least one or
two more good snowstorms before the final thaw. Best to remove what you
can now.

Thank you. I agree.

--
..