Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

Default Great old Maytag washer getting oil on clothes

We have a great old 1988 Maytag washer, model LA612. Lately, we've had a
few oil or grease spots show up on clothes when they come out of the
washer. We phoned the local repairman and he said he'd do some research
and get back to us. He said that on that model, if any oil is leaking,
we'd also notice a substantial water leak on the floor. Without the water
leak, he's just not sure what the problem is. Any ideas? I'm under the
impression that these old Maytags are better than today's Maytags and
would like to keep this one running. I've read on other places about a
buildup of detergent or fabric softener that sometimes looks like oil.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,
jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/5/2014 2:45 PM, jim wrote:
We have a great old 1988 Maytag washer, model LA612. Lately, we've had a
few oil or grease spots show up on clothes when they come out of the
washer. We phoned the local repairman and he said he'd do some research
and get back to us. He said that on that model, if any oil is leaking,
we'd also notice a substantial water leak on the floor. Without the water
leak, he's just not sure what the problem is. Any ideas? I'm under the
impression that these old Maytags are better than today's Maytags and
would like to keep this one running. I've read on other places about a
buildup of detergent or fabric softener that sometimes looks like oil.
Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,
jim

Can't remember if it was a Maytag or not but the symptom and the vintage
were the same: mine had an oil leak from the top of the agitator post.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 2/5/2014 1:45 PM, jim wrote:
We have a great old 1988 Maytag washer, model LA612. Lately, we've had a
few oil or grease spots show up on clothes when they come out of the
washer. We phoned the local repairman and he said he'd do some research
and get back to us. He said that on that model, if any oil is leaking,
we'd also notice a substantial water leak on the floor. Without the water
leak, he's just not sure what the problem is. Any ideas? I'm under the
impression that these old Maytags are better than today's Maytags and
would like to keep this one running. I've read on other places about a
buildup of detergent or fabric softener that sometimes looks like oil.
Any ideas are appreciated.

Presuming an old tub type, there are only two seal points possible to be
the lead source that are inside the tub -- at the transmission shaft and
the top of the agitator.

You can surely find an exploded parts diagram online that'll show where
those are, specifically.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 2/5/2014 11:45 AM, jim wrote:
We have a great old 1988 Maytag washer, model LA612. Lately, we've had a
few oil or grease spots show up on clothes when they come out of the
washer. We phoned the local repairman and he said he'd do some research
and get back to us. He said that on that model, if any oil is leaking,
we'd also notice a substantial water leak on the floor. Without the water
leak, he's just not sure what the problem is. Any ideas? I'm under the
impression that these old Maytags are better than today's Maytags and
would like to keep this one running. I've read on other places about a
buildup of detergent or fabric softener that sometimes looks like oil.
Any ideas are appreciated.

I was getting that on a 1963 Speed Queen Commercial washer back in 1994.
After 30 years I didn't want to spend any more on repairs. There was no
water on the floor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/5/2014 1:45 PM, jim wrote:
We have a great old 1988 Maytag washer, model LA612.

Aha - one of the old suds saver models! I bought mine in 1985 and just
had it replaced two weeks ago. It was still working great, except that
it needed to be nudged to move from the rinse to spin cycle, and it
was leaking water (no biggie, it sat next to the floor drain in the
basement).

I had no plans to replace it, actually, but a truck pulled up in front
of the house and a couple of guys showed up at the front door and -
surprise! Here's your new washer. Turned out one of my siblings just
decided it was time I got a new washer. Since it was a gift, I
accepted it, but it was tough watching them carry Old Reliable out the
door.

Maytag Problem -- Clothes are being ripped [email protected] Home Repair 24 March 6th 21 07:49 PM
Old Maytag electric clothes dryer. [email protected] Electronics Repair 9 January 29th 08 12:49 AM
Maytag Washing machine tearing clothes Nick Home Ownership 6 November 13th 06 09:01 PM
Maytag clothes Washer Won't Spin udarrell Home Repair 4 October 24th 06 10:27 PM
clothes washer shredding clothes anon Home Ownership 4 May 22nd 06 03:21 PM