Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cold weather raises driveway

On 2/2/2014 11:32 AM, Rebel1 wrote: After maybe a week of temperatures continuously below freezing, day and night, my driveway raises well above the level of the garage's concrete.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/90278919@N00/12270828796/

snip

Even though it's only a cosmetic problem, and the blacktop will be level with the concrete once the weather warms, any ideas how to prevent this seasonal rise and fall?

As others have noted, you have a frost heave problem. There's a pretty good overview of causes and cures he
http://www.pavement.com/Concrete_Pavement/Technical/Fundamentals/Frost.asp

Any method that reduces moisture under the pavement should alleviate or cure the rise and fall problem.

Susan

Posted to alt.home.repair

That's the explanation that most folks don't understand, about the need for gravel and sand to go down to below the frost line,
Posted to alt.home.repair

The frost line is proably not that deep right next to a building or large slab of concrete. All I know for sure is that my driveway heaves no more than 1/2 inch at most, and when it was put in I was a fanatic about having a proper base of sand and gravel, and it has apparently worked as the driveway has been in place for 20 years without any problems.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, February 5, 2014 11:03:34 AM UTC-5, wrote:
The frost line is proably not that deep right next to a building or large slab of concrete. All I know for sure is that my driveway heaves no more than 1/2 inch at most, and when it was put in I was a fanatic about having a proper base of sand and gravel, and it has apparently worked as the driveway has been in place for 20 years without any problems.

I agree that you need a proper stabilized base. But in northern climates
it's not typical to excavate down to below the frost line and replace it
with gravel or other material. The main thing is any soft soil has to go.
Around here that's 6" to maybe 12". Below that if you have rock, clay,
gravel, whatever, as long as it's firm and stable, you leave it alone.
You put stabilized base material in to replace some of the soft material
removed, bringing it back up to the right height.

OT Cold Weather Here In The U.S., Ha! The Daring Dufas[_7_] Home Repair 11 January 25th 11 12:37 AM
Welding in cold weather [email protected] Home Repair 13 December 27th 07 08:59 PM
why does my basement cold water pipe only rattle during cold weather? Joe Home Repair 7 November 7th 07 02:26 AM
Cold weather storage RayV Woodworking 2 January 30th 07 03:33 PM
Concrete in cold weather bhads UK diy 1 November 29th 05 07:54 PM