Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cleaning a telephone and other electronics

It amazes me how filthy a phone can get (landline). And it seems that
all of them are white these days. Maybe there was a good reason the old
rotary phones were originally black. The problem is how to clean them.
They cant be submerged in water. Wiping with a damp cloth with plain
Water dont seem to do much. So far the best I've found is to use
rubbing alcohol on a paper towel. But its' hard to get into all the
tiny spaces between the numerical buttons, and such. And impossible to
clean in the "grille" where the 'speaker phone', speaker is. Even those
coiled cords can get quite nasty, but those can be submerged as long as
they are allowed to dry well before being used again.

Does anyone know any better ways to clean them?

Other electronics have the same problem. Computer keyboards are the
worst. Things like a police scanner are another tough one, with all
their buttons.

Any suggestions or tips?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Windex

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 21 Jan 2014 11:50:09 -0600, wrote:

It amazes me how filthy a phone can get (landline). And it seems that
all of them are white these days. Maybe there was a good reason the old
rotary phones were originally black. The problem is how to clean them.
They cant be submerged in water. Wiping with a damp cloth with plain
Water dont seem to do much. So far the best I've found is to use
rubbing alcohol on a paper towel. But its' hard to get into all the
tiny spaces between the numerical buttons, and such. And impossible to
clean in the "grille" where the 'speaker phone', speaker is. Even those
coiled cords can get quite nasty, but those can be submerged as long as
they are allowed to dry well before being used again.

Phone cords can be washed in the dishwasher, with the dishes. They look
great afterwards.

Lots of things besides dishes can be washed in the dishwasher.

Does anyone know any better ways to clean them?

Other electronics have the same problem. Computer keyboards are the
worst.

I haven't done it yet, but I'm told computer keyboards can be washed in
the dishwasher. In their case, they should be upside down so little or
no water gets inside, and no soap should be used and I'm sure, no heat
during drying (Don't almost all DWs let you turn that off?)

Things like a police scanner are another tough one, with all
their buttons.

Any suggestions or tips?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, January 21, 2014 12:50:09 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

You can pretty much wash any electronics in mild soap and water as long as you make sure the item is dry before to power it up again. I disassemble and then leave the cleaned parts on top of a floor vent for a day or two. Or point a fan at it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I had about 25 computer data entry users at my last job. These were not
geeks who did programming, but just entered data. They ate and drank at
the terminals and sometimes spilled stuff on the keyboards, usually
stuff that gets sticky when it dries, like coffee or soda. I would give
them a new or refurbished keyboard to use. I then took the messy
terminals to a sink and poured very warm plain water through them (no
WD-40 or other cleaners). :-)
I then hung the keyboards up by the cable to let them drain and dry for
a day or more. After they were dry I tested them. If they didn't work
after a few treatments they went in the trash
I used the ones that still worked to replace the next dirty keyboards.

I have about 6 keyboards from old computers at home and I do the same,
including spilling stuff on them from time to time, but in this case,
including beer.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 21 Jan 2014 10:50:09 -0700, wrote:

[...]

Wash your hands?

I know, I know, I couldn't help it. It's true that even if your hands are
clean, human flesh gets all over those things and forms a waxy, difficult
to remove pile up of gunk. A paper towel damp with Clorox will almost
instantly wipe off that gunk. To protect your fingers from the bleach,
just stick you hand into a quart sized freezer ziploc bag and hold the
towel with the bag. Why freezer and not a swandwich bag? Because the
sandwich bags are so thin the bleach will go THROUGH the plastic, fumes
accumulate in the bag, and the bleach will burn your flesh, literally
oxidize your flesh, which is the definition of burning.

For MY telephones, and mice, to prevent destroying the plastic housing; I
disassemble to bare plastic parts and then wash those parts in a sink of
dish detergent. Keyboards? I've been provided so many at clients'
locations that I simply used 409 on a paper towel that can get down in
between, but not really wet anything. Obviously, I didn't care if the 409
hurt their keyboards or not.

I've had excellent performance from a quaternary compound used to sanitize
patient examination rooms, [which means kills stuff but not people or
pets] made by Brulins in Indiana, called Unicide 256. You actually mix it
256:1 and the resulting diluted compound is equivalent to full strength
bleach in its killing power. The stuff is absolutely amazing, you can
polish metal with it, remove paint, do all kinds of things. Check at your
local janitorial supply they probably sell it. I usually buy it wholesale
directly from Brulins, from memory it's around $128+ for a case of four
gallon jugs. We go through it faster than I like, because I can't get wife
to mix more dilute than 10:1 or so! She soaks her jewelry in it, for
cleaning. Doesn't harm stones, metal, etc, actually polishes the metal to
where her rings look like they went through a jeweler's ultrasonic
cleaner. Oh, yeah, before saving any coins, I drop coins in a small tray
of the stuff. Shiney in no time. A penny goes from dull brown to mintlike
finish in around 30 seconds, too long and yecch!

Window Cleaners like Walmart Glass Cleaner, Windex, etc, although handy
and cheap and effective, are not usually a good idea, because the alcohol
in them can craze the surface and deteriorate the plastic badly over time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/21/2014 6:14 PM, RobertMacy wrote:

[...]

So, why do you leave the full strength stuff around?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, January 21, 2014 11:50:09 AM UTC-6, wrote:
[...]

Naptha and a used but clean toothbrush
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 21 Jan 2014 17:27:49 -0700, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

...snip...

So, why do you leave the full strength stuff around?

requires smaller storage?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Formula 409 does wonders on lots of stuff. A friend worked for a used computer outfit and they used 409 even to clean keyboards

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I use a cleaner like 409 or greased lightning, sprayed into rag or q tip.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/21/2014 12:50 PM, wrote:
[...]

WD-40. I worked in a shop that had a bright yellow
counter top. I over sprayed something with WD, and
it both cleaned and shined. Might work on your
equipment.

You've got to be kidding!

Yeah. It stinks! I just use some sort of wipes. Antibacterial if someone
is sick, otherwise baby wipes. Toothpick for the tiny places if needed.
But really our phones don't get all that icky.